The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 10-20-2004, 08:34 PM   #1
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Messanic's Personal Ratings

Icarus has his own thread devoted to rating games and such, so I thought that I would do the same. Diversity is always good and since Icarus is only one person sharing his reviews here I thought that another reviewer could come in handy. Let it be known now that not one game, console, cartoon, ost, movie, or comic will get a 10/10 from me ever, nothing is perfect.

Editorials
Fall season impresions 2004 page 5

Hardwware/Accessories:

GB - 7.5 page 1
GCN - 8.2 page 2
NDS - 9.3 page 6
NES - 7.7 page 1
PS2 - 7.3 page 2
PSP - 8.8 page 11/8.5 page 15
PSTwo - 8.5 page 10
SNES - 9.3 page 3
Street Fighter Anniversay Collection Controller - 8.5 page 1
Vampire Collection Saturn Controller - 9.2 page 14
Xbox - 8.2 page 9

Software:

Dreamcast
Vampire Chronicle: For Matching Service - 9.3 page 12

Genesis
Earthworm Jim 8.3 page 8
Ranger-X - 8.4 page 3

GBA
F-Zero: Climax - 8.2 page 2
Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls - 7 page 7
Kingdom Hearts:Chain of Memories - 8.2 page 3
Metroid Zero Mission - 8.2 page 6
The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap - 8.7 page 4

GCN
Resident Evil 4 - 8.6 page 10
Tales of Symphonia - 5 page 13

NDS
Akumajou Dracula: Sougetsu no Juujika - 8.3 page 14
Feel the Magic XY/XX - 9.2 page 8
Mario Kart DS - 9.5 page 15
Metroid Prime: First Hunt - 9.4 page 6
Sonic Rush - 7.8 page 15
Super Mario 64 DS - 8 page 9
Yoshi's Touch and Go - 6.3 page 13

PC
Y's 6: the Ark of Napishtim - 8.4 page 1

PS1
Breath of Fire III - 9 page 5
Chrono Trigger - 8.2 page 9
Chrono Cross - 6.7 page 9
Dance Dance Revolution 4th Mix - 9.2 page 10
Darkstalkers 3 - 8.3 page 12
Final Fantasy: Origins - 7.2 page 7
Ridge Racer: Type 4 - 9 page 13
Tales of Eternia - 8.1 page 13

PS2
Beatmania(US) - 8.4 page 16
Beatmania IIDX 11: IIDXRED - 9.2 page 16
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - 8.7 page 5
Bujingai: The Forsaken City - 8 page 10
Dance Dance Revolution Extreme - 7.7 page 7
Devil May Cry - 8.5 page 10
Devil May Cry 3 - 9.2 page 12
Final Fantasy X - 7.7 page 4
God Hand - 6.8 page 16
Gungrave: OD - 7.5 page 2
Katamari Damacy - 8.8 page 8
King of Fighters: Maximum Impact - 6.8 page 1
Megaman X8 - 7.8 page 8
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection:
Hyper Street Fighter 2 - 7.8 page 3
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike - 9.2 page 3
Vampire Collection - 9.5 page 14

PSP
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower - 9.3 page 12
Irregular Hunter X - 9.3 page 15
Ridge Racer - 9.3 page 13
Tales of Eternia - 8 page 13

SNES
Batman Returns - 8.6 page 2
Chrono Trigger - 9.2 page 9
Earthworm Jim 8.3 page 8

Xbox
Metal Slug 3 - 8.8 page 14
Ninja Gaiden - 8.5 page 11

Music:

Movies/Shows:

Cartoons
Viewtiful Joe - 5.4 page 2

Comics/Books:

Last edited by Messanic; 10-14-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 09:45 PM   #2
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

The NES!!!

In 1984 Nintendo released the Famicom Disk system, this set Nintendo off in Japan, but it wasn't until 1985 that the Famicom would bless American households. The nes was like our parents' ps2 back in the day, it was also where most of us got our start on gaming. When I was a younger lad, my dad bought an nes while my sister was visiting her dad. He said that he'd hook it up when he got back from picking her up, but I couldn't wait. I took it upon myself to hook up the console, we got the power set, two normal controllers, and two advanced controllers. Thats not all though, I got the nes gun and the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt cart. My parents and I will always remember that day, the nes also still holds a place in my heart that no game console today can replace.

Design - 8
It was plain and simple, two controller ports, a port for av analog cables and rf unit port, a place to put the game and it closed too, wow. It was pretty simple and sleek in design believe it or not, I just wish that there was a function for that expansion bay.

Durability - 4
The nes was one fragile piece of equipment, despite what some may say, it was then and it is now. I hated getting a brand new game only to find out that I had the error screen of death awaiting me. I usually had to blow out my nes to the fullest to get it to work, this was all the time and why I do not know. Eventually I got it to work but damn.

Games - 9
Wow, Super Mario Bros. 3, Ninja Gaiden, Zelda II, Kirby's Dreamland, Lolo, etc, were all excellent games and the nes had them and then some. There were some stinkers but either way, it was hard for the nes to truly suck at having good games. Nintendo also issued a quality control policy for developers so only one game a year could be released by them in the states. Companies like Konami and Capcom got to release more games a year because they were some of the best developers back then.

Graphics - 8
What the games did using the nes was astounding then and it is now, games like Megaman, Kirby, Super Mario Bros. 3, 3d World Runner, and Contra, were among some of the most visually impressive games that I've played on the nes.

Sound - 8
The nes had some of the most memorable sounding games from the Megaman, Kirby, and Castlevania series' and more. I always somehow found myself humming tunes to most of the games that I've played. They never get old no matter how much I hear them.

Controller - 9
Simple and easy, there was a d pad, start, select, a, and b buttons, for the enhanced controller they made some weird analog circle and an exterier d pad if you didn't like the analog. It had two turbo versions of a and b. Then the nes advantage was another plus, I don't know why but my mom loved using the advantage for games like Gauntlet, Pacman, Castlevania II and Zelda II.

Final - 7.7
The nes was god, and then there was the snes, even still the nes was one helluva console. My nes however, stopped working about a year ago, rest in peace nes, 1988 - 2003, you will be missed.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:11 PM   #3
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I think durability and design should go hand in hand. And I would give the design a rating of 2. It was horrible, one of the worst consoles ever designed. Why? Because of the way you had to insert the cartridge into the unit and press down. That made it so that after awhile, many games wouldn't work at all. Horrible horrible design. If it weren't for that, the design rating would be MUCH higher. The carts should plug straight in, just like on the Sega Master System. Sega Master Systems still work today. So do Atari 2600's. But the original NES? Good luck. Also, the game cartridges really didn't have to be so god damned huge. There was absolutely no reason in the world for that other than to accomodate the wacky "insert and press down" scheme. On the NES 2 you plugged the carts in from the top, like it should be. But due to the enormous size of the NES carts, you had a gigantic monolith sticking out of the top of the thing. The NES 2 would have gotten a better design rating due to the cartridge insertion method, but they botched it with no A/V ports, only RF. Still better than the original NES though.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 03:19 AM   #4
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Can I play gameboy?

When I was living in Germany, I stumbled across something totally amzing, a lady playing a handheld. I asked her what it was and she said its a gameboy, so I asked if I could play it, she said no and that it wasn't hers. That was the last time that I would see a gb, at least until 1992, my first Christmas without snow, my sister was lucky enough to get a gb for Christmas, while I got some nes games and clothes. My sister got her gb as a present from her dad, it came with Tetris and she also got a Barbie game with it. She ended up giving it to me a couple of years later, and boy was I thankful.

Design - 7
Kinda bulky and I couldn't really fit it into my pocket, but none the less it was a portable console. You had the standard nes button layout of A, B, Start, Select, and a d pad, there was also a headphone jack and a place to stick a battery charger. It also never occurred to me that the gb couldn't be played in the dark until the gamegear came out, I didn't really care anyway.

Durability - 9
Wow, the gb can take some abuse, and I mean abuse, I've lost the back, my batteries have exploded, the speakers blew, and I dropped it many times. My original gb has been to hell and back, but it finally bit the big one when I smashed the screen while playing Tecmo Bowl, I wasn't supposed to lose.

Games - 9
The gba not only had original games of its own it also had some pretty good ports, although most of them were watered down. Metroid 2 had to be one of the best games on it along with Super Mario Land and Kirby's Dreamland 2, and who could forget Tetris. The best part was that you could play the games on the go.

Graphics - 5
What you did see on the gb wasn't always pretty most of the time and adjusting the contrast so you could see was a hassle. You also only had a choice between green and green, those were all the colors you got.

Sound - 8
The gb sported some crazy sound in it's games, some nes ports got redone music or cut tracks. I really don't know which one had the better sound system though, gb or nes...

Battery - 7
4 AA's and your set for a good 10 hours or so, the only bad thing is when your gb is low on batteries it will shut off before you know it. I of course played my gb so long once before that the batteries exploded, yet I was able to play my gb without batteries for about 5 minutes.

Overall - 7.5
My old gb no longer exists but I do have a gba, sadly I've also lost Tetris and the other awsome games that I had for it. The gb was the start of handhelds and it may be the end. Handhelds are indeed Nintendo's forte and the future of handhelds looks iffy as of right now, so I'll continue to play my gba until the future gives me what I'm looking for.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:53 AM   #5
Paper exe
Pwnd

now messanic will give gamecube and DS 0
and all the new nintendo games 0
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 08:26 AM   #6
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

It's nice to see more review threads. But you said that I was the only one who reviewed games. That's not entirely true: Others such as Joe Redifer, Magnus and Freeman have contributed reviews to my section. As well, there was another review thread awhile back by Blueskied and another member who's name escapes me at the present moment. As for the Rating 10, those are the games which currently represent the highest in quality that gaming has to offer to me personally, not that they're absolutely perfect in every way.

I look forward to your game reviews. :cool guy:
Old 10-21-2004, 02:01 PM   #7
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Y's 6: the Ark of Napishtim

It's been 8 years since Y's got a sequal, and 12 years since the Y's series was in the U.S. Falcom has decided not to release Y's 6 in the U.S. but instead Konami will. I never really played any other Y's games except this one, I did have Y'5 and 4 for my snes emu a couple of years back but I never got around to playing them. Y's 6 is an action rpg, it starts with Adol , the main character, being washed ashore on an island after falling off his ship. He of course wakes up later and begins searching for his shipmates. However theres something much bigger taking place...

Story - 8
It's there and even though I'm not complete in Japanese it wasn't hard to tell what was going on. Infact even a brainless monkey can tell whats going on and where to go. As I said before, Adol was washed ashore and has to find his friends who are no doubt searching for the ark of Napishtim. Along the way he meets some interesting people and everybody plays a part in Y's 6, all of the people that you meet will have something important for you, even the merchants.

Graphics - 9
The visuals are awsome, even on low end pc's, well not that low end. The characters and monsters are drawn in 2d creating a prerendered 3d look. The bosses are huge, very fluent, along with the environments, all done in 3d and the special effects are also clear and pretty. The monsters that you fight will fall apart whenever thier killed, minus the bosses that explode, and theres also blood and lots of it. Depending on what monster it is determines the color, when attacked or attacking monsters, blood will spew all over the place, its also left behind in your foot prints. The realtime shadows and lighting effects are dead on too. The environments are pretty much limited to what you would find on an island, beach, forest, temple, town, mountain, and cave areas. Theres only two towns, but I never beat the game so I'll assume that theres more places to go and oogle at. This is one pretty game, and if the initial settings are too much for your pc, you can configure them untill your hearts content.

Sound - 9
The Y's series has always sported some awsome ost's according to many Y's fans, and I'll take thier word for it. Y's 6 has an awsome ost, and if you bought the special edition I believe you got a two disc ost containing the tracks from Y's 6 along with some remixed ones as well. The in game music however is astounding, nothing gets old, the sound effects are also clear and wierd for some of the things they come from. When you use your fire sword it makes this whipping sound which is just odd for a sword. None the less superb sound.

Gameplay - 8
Heres the meat and po-ta-toes of the game, simple and very fun. Its an action rpg, you will hack and slash your way through hordes of cutesy and ugly monsters, until you fight a boss. However, if your too weak you wont take any damage off of any monsters so you gotta level up. You start off with a crappy sword, it breaks, then you get a wind sword, next fire, then lightning. The best part is that you can switch between them on the fly, they also have special abilities and strengths to them. When your weapon meter is full, you can do a special attack, depending on what weapon your using you'll have different elemental attacks.

You are also able to upgrade your weapons using special blue crystals that enemies drop. You can also buy armor and items at shops and once you buy a piece of armor or max out on items(the max is 9) its sold out, of course enemies also drop items and there are treasure chests. Money also doesn't make an appearrance in this game, well its there but the monsters don't drop money, they just sort of give you a direct deposit. There are also no puzzles in the game so theres even less thought process in the gameplay, however the boss fights and monsters do give way to some strategizing. I almost forgot about saving too, the save points will restore your status and health, and you can have up to 64 saves. If you missed something you can always just reload one of your old saves, you got 64 slots.

Replay - 8
There are extra quests and all, really add to the replay value and its an overall fun game that you can pick up and play, regardless of a language barrier. Even if you've beaten this game several times theres still room for more, its just that fun.

Overall - 8.4
This game is awsome and everyone should play this game, if you have a pc or ps2 get it when it comes to the U.S. next year. If your an importer, import this title as soon as possible, and if your a pirate, do what you gotta do. This is definitely a game that shouldn't be missed.

Last edited by Messanic; 10-22-2004 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:15 PM   #8
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Y's VI does NOT have an awesome OST, especially when compared to other Y's games. Seriously, it sounds like generic MIDI.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:27 PM   #9
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperEXE
You got a problem? Pony up with your own reviews then. Quit being disrespectful, especially when you havn't done anything to show why people should respect your opinions.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 09:15 PM   #10
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Happy Anniversary!!

I was at my local Blockbuster an hour earlier and bought Contra: Shattered Soldier, Gungrave: OD and a Akuma Street Fighter Anniversary Controller. The games I wanted, but the controller I bought on impulse, and man is it awsome. I sadly don't have any 6 button 2d fighting games on my ps1 or ps2, but I do own Guilty Gear X2. This review will be based on my little test run with GGX2 and Shattered Soldier, I'll have to buy SF:AC later.

Design - 8
Just like the saturn controller, if GG was on the Saturn, it would have rocked hard. Square, Triangle, and L1 were set up on their respective buttuns as well as X, O, and R1, there wasn't a need for me to change my buttons at all. I think that the same will follow through when I get more fighters for my ps2. L2 and R2 are on top of the controller and Start and Select can also be found right above the 6 face buttons. The colors are black and red with a holographic picture of Akuma in the middle.

Comfort - 9
The controller fits like a glove and the official Sony liscense garuntees that it won't break in five minutes, just like the Nyko memory cards for ps2. It feels kinda grippy too, the buttons are very responsive and it's much easier to pull off those crazy button motions. The wieght doesn't put a strain on your wrists like an xbox controller would either. No cramps, no blisters, no burning, no frustration, and no whiffing is what makes this controller a must for all fighting games on any console.

Durability - 9
Although my controller hasn't taken much abuse(considering I got it today), it is indeed very durable by just feeling it. The saturn controller never gave me that feel and thats what I like about this controller the best of all. This may just be another saturn controller but its a lot more durable in its design and although I'm smart enough not to throw my contoller at the screen anymore, you can bet someone will throw thier SF:AC controller around.

Function - 8
It functions like a fighting pad should and then some, it is indeed very possible to play other games using this controller. I tried using it with Contra: SS and it was like I was playing Contra: Hardcorps on the genesis. Other than that the same problems that might occur when playing games like Megaman X6 on this controller really made you see just why the saturn controller wasn't that good for X4.

Overall - 8.5
This is one helluva controller and no gamer should be without it, especially if you own a saturn and have a bunch of fighters for ps2 and ps1. Now I'll just have to wait for the Guile controller, and its on.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:03 PM   #11
Joe Redifer
Olé!

It's gotta be the best controller for the PS2. The only bad thing is that alot of games don't support digital control and REQUIRE the Dual Shock 2. I like using my Saturn controller on my Dreamcast for the fighting games, it is freakin' awesome. I wasn't too impressed with Street Fighter: AC on the PS2, though.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:57 PM   #12
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

King of Fighters: Maximum Impact

A lot of people have given SNK crap on thier 3d outings, but thier not all that bad, KoF:MI is one of those too. I believe that this game will fall under the underrated games of all time list, just because too many people are jaded with what it is that they want in a fighting game. KoF:MI actually plays like all the other KoF games, it just has 3d graphics and chain combo's. I got a chance to actually play this game today and its pretty good.

Graphics - 8
This is definitely one good looking game, the environments are pretty nice and large, and the characters are modeled very well. The character mods are pretty neat too, as you can put things like biker helmets, swords, scuba gear and such other things on your character. The alternate models are distinctly different from the originals, which is good for showing that instead of different colors and costumes, theres different hairstyles and accessories for a character model. The breast bouncing is also pretty dead on as they bounce like thier supposed to. But either way thier fake boobs, and nothing can change that. Sadly Mai's butt doesn't jiggle in this game, and niether do some of the other scantily clad females. The special effects are dead on and the stage backrounds even feature some questionable characters, why isn't Yashiro in this game dammit and what about Daimon!?

Sound - 6
The sound in this game is pretty good, the stage themes are pretty forgettable though at least to me. The English voice acting is bearable, but why they took out the Japanese voices is just odd, maybe its an unlockable feature. The sound effects are pretty clear but some characters sound just odd.

Gameplay - 7
This is a pretty good game, however it isn't without it's flaws. The cast of characters is pretty good, 20 is more than enough for a fighting game. The game plays just like every other KoF game, 4 buttons and the rest can be used to map other commands or taunts to. The chain combo's are pretty good and it's got a bigger learning curve even if your familiar with the past KoF's. The feeling of the game is much faster and the different strings of combo's and attacks are a plus for this. The problem is the rolling is kinda messed up, its definitely more balanced and then it isn't.

When you roll, you can be hit at the end or at the beginning, but in the very middle you are invincible. The roll button is mapped to R1 and can also be used to sidestep, or roll out of the way when fallen. The blocking is still used by holding back and it has some serious priority, the only problem is that gaurd crush is really nasty in this game. The good part is that your gaurd gauge is easily recharged. Some characters like Kim and Yashiro were added to the game under a different name and gender. Balance is pretty consistant in the game, the only other gripe is the loading between matches in team vs. It takes at least 2 seconds before the next fight, it kinda messes up the pacing of the game, but then it doesn't. Theres a wide cast of characters to play with a couple of unlockables and a lot of fun.

Replay - 6
There really isn't much more to offer except for the fact that this nothing more than another good KoF game from SNK. It's in 3d, it's fun to play and look at, as well as listen to, cause there are plenty of lines to poke fun at.

Overall - 6.8
It's another 3d SNK game, it plays good and you will have fun, but it wont kill you not to have it. $50 is pretty steep for any game and if you know you might be dissappointed don't buy it, at least for $50. If you didn't notice, I didn't ad story to the review, but thats because fighting games don't really need that much of a plot.

Last edited by Messanic; 10-23-2004 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:16 AM   #13
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperEXE

I was going to ignore that, but I'll review a couple of N games just in spite of what he said. By the way, look forward to my Gungrave: OD and Contra: Shattered Soldier reviews.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:52 AM   #14
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Messanic ~ "But either way thier fake boobs, and nothing can change that. Sadly Mai's butt doesn't jiggle in this game, and niether do some of the other scantily clad females."

That sounds contradicting. On the one hand you're saying how the boobs are fake and nothing is gonna change that fact, and then you bemoan the lack of jiggle on the females' Gluteus Maximus.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:09 AM   #15
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

I'm just saying that even 2d Mai had bouncing breasts and butt cheeks. Mai has a big but too and if you pick the black Mai pallet she'll look like the thick women you usually see in rap video's, no joke.