The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

View Poll Results: Which system will be dominate in the upcoming portable war?
Game Boy Advance/SP (GBASP) 6 13.95%
Playstation Portable (PSP) 14 32.56%
Nintendo DS 22 51.16%
NGage 1 2.33%
Other (ex. Zodiac, etc.) 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2004, 09:58 AM   #16
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

And I don't get why. Aren't there already a zillion-and-a-half Pokemon titles already available for GB and GBA?
Old 10-01-2004, 01:16 PM   #17
Nindalf

I guess Pokemon is to Nintendo as Madden is to EA, they keep making them as long as they keep selling.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 01:25 PM   #18
Alistein

There is still no word yet on the PSP price and many other related things concerning the device. For now I will say the DS will probably stand up better but Sony seems pretty serious about the PSP which makes me believe they would compete favorably perhaps even emerge dominant. Compared to the Nintendo Sony understands the market much better they are adept at business more so than Nintendo right now what has most people believing or picking the DS over the PSP is simply price but what if Sony matches the DS price then what. I guess I would like a PSP more but if the price is too high I will sit it out . In anycase I am not into handhelds but i will say don't write Sony off they usually end up surpricing every one.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:03 PM   #19
Alistein

Something else i'll say is Nintendo handhelds have been for sometime ignoring certain genres like
Horror: Silent Hill , Resident evil e.t.c
FPS:Half life, Halo, Unreal tournament and others
Point and Click games: Siberia, Still life,Brken curse e.t.c
Even flying games are scarce . iam almost certain Nintendo DS won't be covering these genres again and they are very important these day in the industry but the PSP already seems to have thenm in the pipeline even if Nintendo covers it the PSP will be favores over it as these Nintendo.s reputation is simply weak in these area also Horror games and FPS depicting violence will naturally be more acceptable with the handheld with the better visuals.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:49 PM   #20
Black Jesus
Lurker King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistein
I am not into handhelds but i will say don't write Sony off they usually end up surpricing every one.

Black Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 03:09 PM   #21
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
There is still no word yet on the PSP price and many other related things concerning the device. For now I will say the DS will probably stand up better but Sony seems pretty serious about the PSP which makes me believe they would compete favorably perhaps even emerge dominant. Compared to the Nintendo Sony understands the market much better they are adept at business more so than Nintendo right now what has most people believing or picking the DS over the PSP is simply price but what if Sony matches the DS price then what. I guess I would like a PSP more but if the price is too high I will sit it out . In anycase I am not into handhelds but i will say don't write Sony off they usually end up surpricing every one.
There has actually been quite a few FPS' shooters on the GBA the last one being Ice Nine a couple of months back. But they all share one thing in common they all are crap. FPS' on a handheld as of yet really don't work. Though Ice Nine was a hugh improvement. Hopefully though GITS: SAC is looking pretty good at the moment haven't seen it moving yet though.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 05:19 PM   #22
Vert1
Banned

Quote:
Something else i'll say is Nintendo handhelds have been for sometime ignoring certain genres like
Playing FPS' on handhelds is pretty dumb. I've played Eck's v.s. Sever on GBA and it wasn't that great with the screen and yea...

Pokemon is one of if not the best portable games ever and the only way it could get better right now if if it went on-line.The japanese box art for Sapphire,Ruby and Emerald is very appealing.

and DS will beat PSP.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 06:05 PM   #23
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1
Pokemon is one of if not the best portable games ever and the only way it could get better right now if if it went on-line.The japanese box art for Sapphire,Ruby and Emerald is very appealing.
Even compared to GBA RPG's there alot better on ofter then Pokemon, actually I thought the Pokemon clone by Atlus DemiKids was more entertaining.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:35 PM   #24
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Alistein ~ "Something else i'll say is Nintendo handhelds have been for sometime ignoring certain genres like
Point and Click games: Siberia, Still life,Brken curse e.t.c"

That's not Nintendo's fault. I know that Capcom was working on a Resident Evil port to the GameBoy awhile back, but I dunno what became of that. Also, who the hell wants to play point-&-click titles on the go? Oh, btw, in case you didn't notice, Metroid on the DS is--are you sitting down(?)--a FPS adventure. And I'm sure others will follow, especially given the recent success of so many FPS titles. You can bet that third-parties understand the definition of the word "capitalize."
Old 10-01-2004, 09:16 PM   #25
Vert1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001
Even compared to GBA RPG's there alot better on ofter then Pokemon, actually I thought the Pokemon clone by Atlus DemiKids was more entertaining.
maybe if you're an ignorant of the greatness that is hidden in Pokemon. Golden Sun(second best RPG on GBA) was really fun but the second is kinda iffy...regardless it doesn't stack up to the hundreds of hours I spent in Pokemon.

Last edited by Vert1; 10-01-2004 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:01 PM   #26
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Hasn't the GBA already pretty much own this market? It be like the GCN releasing just next year after the PS2 been out this whole time and asking the similar question.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:34 AM   #27
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
maybe if you're an ignorant of the greatness that is hidden in Pokemon. Golden Sun(second best RPG on GBA) was really fun but the second is kinda iffy...regardless it doesn't stack up to the hundreds of hours I spent in Pokemon.
Ignorant? don't know all I know is when I get bored of playing a game it's time to stop. I got much more fun from Golden Sun, Lufia IV a much improvment after Lufia III.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:45 AM   #28
bunneh ninja
www.freezepop.net

DS will do better since it's cheaper and has good battery life. Nintendo's "big secret announcement" concerning DS and Warp Pipe could make the system an even bigger sucess. The PSP will probably do decent, but I can't see millions of people going out and getting one. It's pretty much a portable PS2. Nothing new.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:44 PM   #29
Alistein

Quote:
Playing FPS' on handhelds is pretty dumb. I've played Eck's v.s. Sever on GBA and it wasn't that great with the screen and yea...

and DS will beat PSP.
In your ownopinion maybe but please stop with the declarative speeches. There is nothing wrong with FPS for handhelds if it looks or plays bad then it's simply the developers fault, I could easily say Pokemon titles are crappy on console. The DS will not beat the PSP it seems like you know it so well now that you keep declaring it there is nothing the DS has over the PSP other than your imagination as far as the industry is concerned they are both under a wait and see policy but I will say this for you the PSP will most likely trounce the DS(but I am sure you knew that already burns doesn't it)

Quote:
That's not Nintendo's fault. I know that Capcom was working on a Resident Evil port to the GameBoy awhile back, but I dunno what became of that. Also, who the hell wants to play point-&-click titles on the go? Oh, btw, in case you didn't notice, Metroid on the DS is--are you sitting down(?)--a FPS adventure. And I'm sure others will follow, especially given the recent success of so many FPS titles. You can bet that third-parties understand the definition of the word "capitalize."
Please this is so Nintendo's fault look at Sony when they came out with the PS1 they began promoting and encouraging developers to develop violent games which was too their favour, Nintendo is pretty much kid centered and so pretty much push only kiddy games you can even see this on the GC even MS pretty much promoted FPS and PC games and that is what you get the most on the xbox if Nintendo encoraged this games developers will develop them after all there has to be a reason why just one single horror game can't be accounted for,Nintendo just never wanted them and pretty much made it clear to the developers.Why an FPS for launch these only proves more so that Nintendo was against such genres on their previous handhelds. Like I also said earlier Sony's business nature will probably overshadow most Nintendo threats already the PSP has a larger number of titles and more are promising to come. Things like exclusivity will turn up from now on Sony will use their control of Square enix 8% shares to force exclusivity and wil cut deals with majority of thier partners to win already titles like MGS are shifting to Sony all this already are indicating Sony's stranglehold of the industry .in fact the more I look at the 2 the more I see of the PSP emerging you may not like it but that is just how things are at the end you'll probably be writing on Sony wrecking handhelds.

Quote:
DS will do better since it's cheaper and has good battery life. Nintendo's "big secret announcement" concerning DS and Warp Pipe could make the system an even bigger sucess. The PSP will probably do decent, but I can't see millions of people going out and getting one. It's pretty much a portable PS2. Nothing new.
You call $180 cheap and you compare $180 as opposed to $200 a difference worth pulling the crowd.Anyway as of now the PSP price is still unknown which means Sony will probably suprise the industry also Sony has been building a new factory for over $1.5 billion dollars in hopes of producing it's electronics cheaper and the PSP battery life is still unknown.It is highly foolish to predict anything at this time especially on matters Sony has indicated they are working on.surely they will not ignore the entire market after serious complaints
Old 10-02-2004, 12:47 PM   #30
Vert1
Banned

Pokemon console games are bad(although Pokemon Snap was entertaining for what it's worth).

Quote:
please stop with the declarative speeches
Quote:
The DS will not beat the PSP
Quote:
there is nothing the DS has over the PSP other than your imagination as far as the industry is concerned

DS is looking a hell of a lot better than Sony's handheld crisis PSP. I'd love to hear how it's not though.

and I also love how when I say DS will beat out PSP like all the other people here you pounce on me like I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited by Vert1; 10-02-2004 at 01:00 PM.