The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 08-17-2002, 04:05 PM   #1
b0b

Doom 3 Confirmed

This of course makes sense as it till be the killer graphical app to prove tp all the fan boys there is a graphical difference between PS2 and Xbox, this it that game that will prove that Xbox and PS2 are not in the same class, not to mention this means a strong possibility of future titles useing Doom 3's engine could wind up exclusively on the Xbox as we'll
b0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 12:30 AM   #2
Alucard

Well anyone who claims the PS2 is better graphically then an XBox really is too biased to be proven wrong. Besides, Doom 3 wont be out for another year for the XBox. At least.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 11:54 AM   #3
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Quote:
Originally posted by Alucard
Besides, Doom 3 wont be out for another year for the XBox. At least.

That is alright by me because I will be BROKE after this holiday season. Too many good games coming out and I will be spending lots of dough on them.
It is awesome that Doom III will be coming to Xbox. Especially with online play!!!

YES!
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 01:52 PM   #4
Seska

I am glad that its at least ONE title in development that is going to be ported AFTER the PC version is done.

Maybe iD Realize the game will sell better on PC. :p
Old 08-26-2002, 12:57 AM   #5
Penance
- Sum of all Beers -

!

Quote:
It is awesome that Doom III will be coming to Xbox. Especially with online play!!!
Wait, when was Online confirmed for Doom III? I don't remember reading anything about it...

-w0rd!
Penance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 01:41 AM   #6
Dr.Nick Riviera

dats great I only have 2 wait a little more than a year 4 da pc version 2 come out maybe only a year and at least 6 monthz 4 da x-box version
Old 08-26-2002, 03:53 AM   #7
Alucard

Kind of amusing how some people complained ports from Dreamcast of games released a year ago or so were 'too old' to bother playing. But if its a game that isn't out yet that they have to wait a year for anyway, its a different story. I still say leave the PC games where they belong. I'll always be dirty for having to wait months for Morrowind to come out on the PC. Now I also have to wait for Deus Ex2 because of the stupid box simultanious port. Not pleased about Old Republic. And if I have to wait for Thief 3 I will officially hate the XBox.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:05 AM   #8
Necro ??

Re: Doom 3 Confirmed

Quote:
Originally posted by b0b
This of course makes sense as it till be the killer graphical app to prove tp all the fan boys there is a graphical difference between PS2 and Xbox, this it that game that will prove that Xbox and PS2 are not in the same class
I say bleh to your "same class" Just cuzz it looks good and has the name "Doom" doesnt mean it will be good.Dont get me wrong i bet it will be a great game but how much is truely known about it? I cant say ive looked up on it,FPS arnt my type of games. But you talk about PS2 fan boys when your sounding like a true x-box fan boy.PS2 could pull doom 3 off it just wont look as pretty and thats all Id seems to have going for it.All I smell is "Direct Port" and Direct Ports dont impress me much.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:25 PM   #9
aneep

i think he meant not in the same 'class' technically

as in Doom3 is do-able on Xbox without any graphical sacrifice, not on PS2

the game is still a long way off, IMO it would take at least 6-9 months after PC release before it will be released on the Xbox

the actual porting probably would only take 1-2 months, its the optimization and any extras that will take the rest of the time

-aneep-
aneep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 06:03 PM   #10
b0b

Necro you can shut up, I'm a fan boy with a GC,XBOX,PS2 huh? I'm just sick of these arguements that games this advanced can be done on PS2 no they can't, your on crack if you think PS2 can even come close to doing doom 3, it use's 80mb's of textures in a second and the PS2 has how much texture ram? and how effcient is there texture compression? oh I forgot they don' even have texture compression making this game impossible off the bat. lets see Xbox uses 6:1 compression hmmm 80/6=15mb a second, it's just like DOA3 yet again like i've said Xbox's superior graphical prowess and networking abilities are it's only advantage's and as the year's drool on this is the factor that will make the difference in public perception of the box, I'm sorry but the PS2 is horribly unsuited for PC ports that's the fact of the matter unless you like your FPS's to have there levels cut into sections with seperate loading time. whats next your going to tell me the PS2 can do Halo? hahahahahahha. peace I'm out.
b0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:16 PM   #11
Necro ??

Cleary you didnt READ my post.

PS2 could pull it off it just wouldnt look as "pretty".But I seem to keep forgetting thats all x-box can hold.Sorry to say but i think Doom 3 would be the only game I could tell the dif between systems.I keep seeing how Onimisha looks awful on PS2 but looks great on PS2 and I fail to see any gfx changes.

I could care less about halo,Im so sick of that game.THats all x-boxers can come up with. "ya halo rulz!!!! ps2 suxs cuz it dont have halo! ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 08-27-2002, 08:10 AM   #12
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

Umm.. All this it uses 80MB for textures.. yada yada.. don't you think they could find ways around that?

I just thought I'd chime in because.. well.. nothing is ever set in stone when developing.. there are many different ways to do things.. some more efficient than others..

Just my two cents.

As for the PS2 not being able to do Doom 3.. blah- they could do it. Odds are, it might not look the same- and maybe Carmack doesn't want that, but it could be done. Just like the GC or the PS2 could've done DOA3- some things would've had to be sacrificed, and perhaps more loading would've been needed.. but it could've happened.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:46 AM   #13
Alucard

ID are known for their excellent programming. So what they is pretty on the dot most times. Besides, if a developer has a certain idea for a game, they want that idea to stay intact. Sacrificing things to make it on another console will then end up having something that wouldn't have the same impact. Which leaves a slightly more wanting feel to the game.

Theres heaps of examples I could make, were my brain working at the moment to think them up.. Lets see.. Af stuff it. Too distracted at the moment. I'll let someone else make a comparison. All I know is if I see a version of a game that has less loading, better graphics and effects, etc etc, and the version I'm forced to play is of poorer quality, I'll be annoyed. I'll also probably get that console if the game is good enough. But thats me.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:16 PM   #14
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

Exactly, the games could be made- there might be sacrifices- but they could be made. Now whether a developer (or publisher) or not wants those games to be made or not.. that's another story. However, don't say, oh a game like that can't be made on such and such.. there will only be a very few times that that will hold true (Blinx is coming to mind...)
Old 08-27-2002, 03:04 PM   #15
Alucard

Usually when someone says 'that can't be made on that console', they mean it as the game itself as a whole. Like Dreamcast cant do MGS2 for example. Oh sure hack it up and it probably can. But as the NORMAL product it can not. Thats what they mean.