The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 09-01-2004, 07:33 AM   #1
Makaveli_786

Killzone details...

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe showed off a new version of Killzone at the GC-Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany, this week. Fully playable with 16 players online, we couldn't resist jumping into a quick deathmatch game for some quality time with Guerilla's upcoming sci-fi magnum opus.

In case you're worried that Killzone wouldn't get the complete online package, rest easy now. While the developers have spent a long time on perfecting the single-player game, the online mode certainly hasn't gotten the shaft. With a variety of modes like supply drop, defend & destroy, assault, and team deathmatch, as well as voice chat and buddy list support, Killzone seems intent on not letting Halo 2 have all the online glory this fall.
We were able to try out two different levels -- one in straight-out deathmatch and one playing team deathmatch. Though communication was impossible at the event, team deatchmatch proved expectedly more enjoyable. There's just something incomparably awesome about running into the enemy base with a bunch of military badasses packing heavy artillery and launch a concerted clean-up effort.

You can recognize players via the names above their heads or by the color of the reticule. Align your target sensor on a friendly unit and it will turn green. Aim at an enemy and it turns red to let you know that it's high time to squeeze the trigger. A display at the top of the screen tracks your and the other players' kills to let you know if you successfully took someone down, if your buddies are still in position, or if it's time to retreat and regroup. And after the match, you receive special awards and general stats according to how well you did.

Killzone's controls are easy to learn. You fire your primary weapon with R1 and the secondary one with R2. L1 whips out and throws a hand grenade (you can delay throwing the grenade by pressing and holding the button). L2 makes your character duck, clicking the right thumbstick (R3) lets you zoom in for more accurate targeting and sniping, and L3 switches to run mode. The face buttons control weapon changing (tap circle), loading (triangle), and picking up weapons from the ground (hold circle). X is the use/action button, which is used for climbing things, melee combat, or hopping over walls. If you've got a sniper rifle, you can zoom in with the d-pad. The square button is apparently used for voice chat, but we weren't able to test it as the demo units didn't sport headsets. I've got to be honest here -- multiplayer gameplay feels a lot like Halo, with some Rainbow Six 3 thrown in for good measure. Certainly not a bad recipe for success.

The two levels we tried out included a modern fortress and a tropical canyon with lots of dunes, palm trees, and other desert flora, like aloe plants. Unlike many console deathmatch levels, the canyon stage wasn't flat, but offered lots of undulations, hills, and bumpy terrain instead. In practice, this makes for some great hiding spots and requires players to aim more precisely when trying to nail an opponent who's on the go. The level itself is huge, with multiple buildings and towers to fight in and around. The multi-level fortress wasn't too shabby either. Sporting lots of open windows for friends of sniping as well as plenty of walkways and connecting bridges, the stage kept the action pumping by keeping players much closer together.

The modes in detail are:

Deathmatch: all players against each other. Players spawn at random places around the maps.
Team Deathmatch: break into teams of two, as the ISA fight against Helghast troops.
Assault: two teams, again. One team defends a key objective, while the other attacks.
Defend & Destroy: the two teams try to destroy their enemy's objectives while holding them off at the same time.
Supply Drop: an expanded version of team capture the flag, featuring multiple flags. Collect them and bring them back to your base.
Domination: capture domination points, such as bridges or bunkers and try to claim all the positions before the enemy team can.
The version of the game shown at GC ran at a steady framerate with only the occasional slugglishness, despite the excellent looking terrain, lifelike weapons animations, and detailed player models. We haven't been able to play the game with the full 16 players in the room, but let's hope the netcode can handle it. But the game's got solutions for lower numbers of players as well. You can add up to 15 AI-controlled bots, each with three difficulty settings. Also, a revolving door-style "late joiner" system can be turned on to allow gamers to drop in for a few rounds, even when a game is already in progress.

From what we've seen so far, Killzone indeed looks like the real deal. Great graphics and sound, a fun single-player experience, and solid online multiplayer modes? Add it to your list, this could be a winner.
Makaveli_786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 07:35 AM   #2
Makaveli_786

I dont think the game will look like that when your playing it, with that kind of draw distance it wont be easy at all to pull off those kind of 3D CGG transformations, if it does then mark me impressed, its better than Halo 2 graphics with twice as big enviornment, make me a skeptic but I dont think it will happen.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:37 AM   #3
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Guess I'll pick up that ps2 online adaptor now. Hopefully socom 2 is cheap by now as well.
"I had a perfect nightmare on a starry torrid sea, I am cast in prison by a crippled demon's plea, The demon has three faces all are laughing down at me, The Banker with his filthy lucre sets the game astride, The General with raging might lets forth a battle cry, The Judge locks now the metal tomb where I am meant to die, But vengeance is a brutal beast not held by any cell, My wit is steeled my blade is wet so sound the reapers bell, Banker, Judge and General you all shall burn in hell."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:31 AM   #4
Makaveli_786

Its only about 15-20 dollars right or am I thinking of something else.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:19 AM   #5
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

I think it's still 40. You might be thinking of HD loader.

Of course you could get it bundled with FF11 for 100.

Most people don't want to get it because Sony's online protocol is absolutely terrible, and now that EA is working with xbox live, there's no reason not to get the xbox version of games.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:01 PM   #6
flamingspiral
Watch Out!

So now they've gone from having 12 players online to having 16? That sounds really cool, I just hope they can pull it off so there isn't too much lag or slowdown. I also like the different game modes that will be featuring online, the variety will keep me hooked on this game for a long time.
flamingspiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:02 PM   #7
TheHardware
The Moment..

false...on most accounts as usuall

some stores are selling it for as little at 25 bucks....sony online protocol is extremely good for thses types of games..."IE" socom 2...so if your interested in this game go ahead and pick it up.....the voice chat is a breeze....and the connection is BB only ..the servers are almost 99.9 all the time..very few hiccups..(psst who the hell was talking about sports games)....so if you like what you see on top..and it sounds great (as it does ..im giddy)....please pick it up..and i will see you on line .....and kill you...over and over...dont believe me...get on socom 2 right now and look for 12welve or doc holiday or driftxx .....

@ topic.......that is very badassed info..whats even more badarsed are those pics..whew..incredible......lokig better and better all the time
Old 09-01-2004, 06:20 PM   #8
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Looks like it suffers from turok syndrome. Being so foggy or smoky that draw in distances have the illusion of naturally being small.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:50 AM   #9
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

"Also, a revolving door-style "late joiner" system can be turned on to allow gamers to drop in for a few rounds, even when a game is already in progress."

Good, Im glad they have this. I hope Halo 2 is the same. Im so used to it in Tribes 2, and hated that Rainbow Six 3 didnt have it. It makes it much better when players can join or leave a game as they plz.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:08 PM   #10
TheHardware
The Moment..

actually i hope they have that as an option..like in socom2 theres a way to turn it on or off...respawning..i may want to play out an extract or team till the death style....sounds good so far though
Old 09-02-2004, 08:37 PM   #11
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Well yah, you can always put a password on your game.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:51 PM   #12
jayntampa

Hiya,

I'm beta-testing the game. Yes, it's tons of fun. No, it's nothing like Halo - so, don't expect it I would say it is a good mid-ground between SOCOM and Halo - a lot of realistic elements (weapons, no jumping, very realistic and cool environments) ... but you can still run into a room a blow everyone away in a more aracde style (however, someone will take you out pretty soon). Teamwork is the best way to go ...

You can password protect online games, set it so no one can join late, accept late-comers, or set a limit on the number of deaths a person can have.

The game looks just like that except ... that is obviously on a high-res monitor. My TV doesn't have anywhere near that resolution

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Jay
jayntampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 01:41 AM   #13
Vegetto
Alive

nothing to do with killzone, but im wondering if socom 2 supports dial up?
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:24 AM   #14
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

no. Pretty much any game with voice chat wont support dial-up.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:27 AM   #15
Vegetto
Alive

Sheista!!!!!!!!!
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote