The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 08-13-2004, 01:03 PM   #61
Vert1
Banned

Bull****.

although you could try to provide a link that's convincing of this.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 01:11 PM   #62
TheHardware
The Moment..

im glad you asked sony boy (pats vert consolingly)

first and foremost....the ps2 style of games..such as ape escape -TMB-ICO-Wipeout-GT- all appeal to me heavily......i think the sony style of gaming is very diffrent from nintendos. (these are examples of game types i am looking forward to...not actually these games).. so the games and style of games....overwhelemed

then usage style ...i mean great games, movies, music..why wouldnt i want this..wi fi capable..i would figure some pda type features.a voice translator..with 13 different language translations...a camera..so i can send pics wireless from wherever im at......giddy

then theres style style..... the screen is huge...thats probably the biggest turn off of other handhelds to people who dont play hand helds..hopefully this will help some..this thing is very pretty...and attractive...expect people to look into it because its sexy and falling in love with its other features...beautiful

everyone else who is reading this...take note i didnt have to down play the other system or mention it to make my point about the psp......satisfyed
Old 08-13-2004, 01:17 PM   #63
Vert1
Banned

I'll try to reply back later without insulting you completely.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 01:23 PM   #64
EctotronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli_786
LOL who said PSP will cost 300 dollars and the PSP batterylife is 10 hours compared to DS's 6-8 and thats if it gets 6 hours, two b-lit screens will reduce the GBA SP life to about 4 hours, if they put a bigger battery in the DS it will become less portable, heavier, bigger and more expensive.

Theres also a shortage of LCD screens so putting two in the DS will bump up the prices, DS wont be cheap period, upto 220 dollars.

On the other hand Sony said theyr going to sell the PSP at a loss and make money off software, the PSP software is supposed to cost about 250 dollars so selling it at a loss is what 200 dollars?

LOL so the PSP is actually cheaper and has a better battery life
Hah... get your facts straight. The PSP has 10 hours of battery life... when playing music. It has about 2-4 hours when playing games or UMDs. 200 dollars... I don't think so. Atleast $250 but more around $300 compared to the $180 DS. DS has 10-12 hours battery life. Nintendo said it shouldn't be much different than the SP, which lasts somewhere around 10 hours with the light on. DS > Battery life than PSP, DS < cost than the PSP. DS = better than the PSP. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by EctotronBob; 08-13-2004 at 01:44 PM.
EctotronBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 01:25 PM   #65
TheHardware
The Moment..

lol...thats because you cant own me for what i like....silly fanboy.....its my opinion and personal taste.....please dont mention the UNKNOWN price point and battery life without proof further than sonys silence about the issue......

for all we know they could be very nervouse about releasing a handheld..and want to wait till the last moment to make it all come together...
Old 08-13-2004, 01:35 PM   #66
TheHardware
The Moment..

wtf...electronbob..where are they coming from...listen fool....that may be brand new news to you...but we already have vert1 we dont need another fanbyee....please check ign.com you can argue blindly with those people there....if not please find something NEW to say...

if you didnt knwo...much like the DS case and look..things change price points get thrown around ..battrey lifes get mentioned...some features get added like the language translation function that was revieled after E3.....so dont be a doofus...expect sont to mention a battrery life and get feedback...so far mostly negative and do things to change this.....

there multiplying ...like gremlins in water!!!
Old 08-13-2004, 01:39 PM   #67
Makaveli_786

Quote:
Originally Posted by EctotronBob
Hah... get your facts straight. The PSP has 10 hours of battery life... when playing music. It has about 2-4 hours when playing games or DVDs. 200 dollars... I don't think so. Atleast $250 but more around $300 compared to the $180 DS. DS has 10-12 hours battery life. Nintendo said it shouldn't be much different than the SP, which lasts somewhere around 10 hours with the light on. DS > Battery life than PSP, DS < cost than the PSP. DS = better than the PSP. Thank you for your time.
LMFAO, since when does the PSP play DVD's, LMFAOOOOOOOO your hilarious, my sides

Alright seriously who told you the PSP plays DVD's?

They were really trying to make an ass out of you, its 2.5 hours for UMD Movies, 10 hours for ATRAC(it has to uncompress it which shortens the battery life) and 10 hours of games(it precaches the game so the disc isnt in motion three quarters of the time).

So DS has a 12 hour battery, between each screen which is b-lit you need about 2000 mAH each, then you need another 2000 to support the GPU and CPU, thats 6000 mAH.

Thats a 6000mAH battery, it will help the DS last about 12 plus hours easily, only downside if its a little big, dont worry I'm sure they can fit it in the DS, its only about 3 times bigger than the DS so what if it weighs 5 pounds itll keep you fit while you carry it around, isnt your health important to you?

And of course the fact that LCD screens are going up in price wont affect the DS, theyll find some way to sell it for cheaper than theyr making it, 180 dollars, hell how about 80 dollars or maybe even 8.

(If you cant tell im being sarcastic, I wouldnt be surprised if you couldnt tell)
Makaveli_786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 01:40 PM   #68
EctotronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHardware
wtf...electronbob..where are they coming from...listen fool....that may be brand new news to you...but we already have vert1 we dont need another fanbyee....please check ign.com you can argue blindly with those people there....if not please find something NEW to say...

if you didnt knwo...much like the DS case and look..things change price points get thrown around ..battrey lifes get mentioned...some features get added like the language translation function that was revieled after E3.....so dont be a doofus...expect sont to mention a battrery life and get feedback...so far mostly negative and do things to change this.....

there multiplying ...like gremlins in water!!!
For one... It's "EctotronBob" not electronbob. Learn to read. Two, I've known those PSP details for awhile. Three, the advocate for the PSP mentioned a few things about battery life which started this conversation and is also "arguing blindly" as you so call it. Four, I said one thing, and you replied in two posts? Use the edit button next time. Finally, enjoy your PSP when it arrives.

Umm, I meant DVD type movies. After I posted it, I was going to edit it to say UMDs, but I was too lazy. I don't really care if you believe me or not either.
EctotronBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 01:41 PM   #69
Makaveli_786

Quote:
Originally Posted by EctotronBob
For one... It's "EctotronBob" not electronbob. Learn to read. Two, I've known those PSP details for awhile. Three, the advocate for the PSP mentioned a few things about battery life which started this conversation and is also "arguing blindly" as you so call it. Four, I said one thing, and you replied in two posts? Use the edit button next time. Finally, enjoy your PSP when it arrives.
Dont correct the man electronbob!
Old 08-13-2004, 02:42 PM   #70
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

I'll say this. If anyone honestly believes that the PSP is going to have more than 5 hours of gameplay time, you should look at Sony's shade business tactics. If the PSP was capible of equil or more batterylife than the DS, they would have been flaunting it, boasting it, throwing it in Nintendo's faces the same way they are doing for every other enhanced stat they have over the DS. The fact that they refuse to devuldge actual battery life is a clear sign of shady dealings. I have no doubt in my mind that Sony is holding out in order to find some sort of solution by TGS in order to combat one of the serious downfalls of their first portible.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:26 PM   #71
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bombay
I'll say this. If anyone honestly believes that the PSP is going to have more than 5 hours of gameplay time, you should look at Sony's shade business tactics. If the PSP was capible of equil or more batterylife than the DS, they would have been flaunting it, boasting it, throwing it in Nintendo's faces the same way they are doing for every other enhanced stat they have over the DS. The fact that they refuse to devuldge actual battery life is a clear sign of shady dealings. I have no doubt in my mind that Sony is holding out in order to find some sort of solution by TGS in order to combat one of the serious downfalls of their first portible.
Tell it as it is dude. Tell it as it is.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:37 PM   #72
Makaveli_786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bombay
Uhmm.. can you explain that a little more clearly, Sony havent said anything after E3 and anything before E3, the only thing they mentioned before E3 was there was a PSP, at E3 they displayed it, aside from that there isnt a word mentioned by Sony anywhere, the PSP is about 5-6 times as powerful as the DS but you dont see Sony flaunting that but maybe you know something I dont.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:04 PM   #73
Reality
Sin and Punishment

What I know about the PSP is what developer commented to each other after E3. One of the things were that the PSP has the power somewhere between the PS1 and PS2. Now for battery life, I read Sony give a guess to the battery life. It's the same as what EctotronBob posted. I'm not sure where that old thread was when I read that but it was in this forum...somewhere.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:31 PM   #74
Makaveli_786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
What I know about the PSP is what developer commented to each other after E3. One of the things were that the PSP has the power somewhere between the PS1 and PS2. Now for battery life, I read Sony give a guess to the battery life. It's the same as what EctotronBob posted. I'm not sure where that old thread was when I read that but it was in this forum...somewhere.
The batterylife was only mentioned once by Sony officials, It was at E3, I can remember him specifically saying "10 hours for gameplay, 10 hours for ATRAC and 2.5 hours for movies".

As for power, the PSP significantly outpowers the PS1 and is on par with the PS2, falls behind in a few aspects.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:41 PM   #75
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli_786
Uhmm.. can you explain that a little more clearly, Sony havent said anything after E3 and anything before E3, the only thing they mentioned before E3 was there was a PSP, at E3 they displayed it, aside from that there isnt a word mentioned by Sony anywhere, the PSP is about 5-6 times as powerful as the DS but you dont see Sony flaunting that but maybe you know something I dont.
My point is, after E3, even during, Sony was very quick to state how much more powerful the PSP was then the DS. Stats, tech demos, upcoming business partners, everything they could get that seemingly gave the PSP an advanage over the DS was heralded as if it was the next messiah of gaming. However, when people started asking about batterylife, Sony suddenly became very quiet and tried to point people back to the GT4 tech demo, which has yet to even be duplicated on PSP hardware. I believe the explaination was something along the lines of, "It'll have 2-12 hours of usage, depending on how you use it" A month later, after E3 was well over and coverage had stopped even on the most tedious of news informations (:oints to G4 and IGN:, they came out and said that battery life was 10-12 hours while not using the display (Music), 4-6 hours while using the display, but nothing else (UMD movies), and 2-3 hours while playing games (...obviously games). That's straight from Sony's mouth. I don't know about you, but 2-3 hours is abismal for a portible handheld. Hell, anything below 8 hours at this point is abismal. Especially if I'm going to be paying 250+ dollars for hte silly thing.

And Nintendo has already come out and stated that the DS will retain the same battery life as the GBA:SP, which is 8-12 hours of gameplay depending on extended use (because battery life will tend to fade in a console's lifespan).

So why are you trying to defend a company who has a long history of putting out false specs, misleading tech demos, and shady press releases about a console which looks like it's going to cost too much for software which doesn't look great in the first place?

I'll tell you this much, the only reason why I'd think about getting a PSP would be for the RPG's, because they will have a lot. The PSP is Square's godsend to get them out of the clutches of Nintendo's portible camp, that is, if it's as successful as the Game Boy. But other than that, there is are no games, NO GAMES, 0 games, that couldn't be easily replicated on the DS that are of any interest (Except maybe darkstalkers). The games which couldn't be done on the DS, don't look that great to begin with, or look too good to be true (IE, in respective order, Metal Gear Acid and GT4).

I've done a pretty good job at keeping objective until the TGS and Nintendos little...European show...of which I can't remember the name of. But I refuse to believe anything, ANYTHING, sony says regarding new hardware due to their abismal track record with the PS2. Remember when Sony said it would be 100 times more powerful than the dreamcast? Yeah, so do I. Sony still has yet to make 1 games that rivals the tech demos they made 5 years ago.

At least with the DS, I know what I'm getting. It uses the I-QUE hardware, which is already known to be cheap. The most expensive thing on it will be the two backlit screens. The battery power should be fine, as it's NEVER EVER EVER been an issue for any of nintendo's portibles. Even the Virtual Boy had good battery life.

I think I'll stop there. I've made my point 100 times over. Don't place yourself in any camp until TGS.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote