The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 08-09-2002, 08:57 AM   #1
mxgame

Halo 2

The screen shots for Halo2 have been released from Bungie. They look very impressive but I wonder if it real time or prerendered. The graphic quality looks to give Doom III a run for it's money if it is real time. According to the Bungie web site they are doubling the amount of vehicles. Christmas 2003 is a long way all of the sudden.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:01 PM   #2
aneep

real time

the screens were taken from an in game cut scene that was shown at X02 event recently

looks great aren't they?

Bungie seems to be having a ball with Xbox hw apparently, per pixel everything, real stencil buffer (Doom3 shadows), gloom and depth of field, all there

Jason Jones (Bungie founder), despite being less known (because most early Bungie games are for Mac only ;)) as John Carmark, is reputedly as competent as JC is

they will release the same trailer to the public soon

-aneep-
aneep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 08:01 PM   #3
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Halo 2 just looks incredible. I thought the graphics in Halo 2 would look slightly better than in Halo, but not this good. I've downloaded the new Halo 2 desktop and can't wait for more info and screen shots. I hope they also release a new book along with the game. I'm totally geeked for Halo 2.

Here is a little plot teaser from bungie.net

"Halo 2 returns you to the role of the Master Chief - still humanity's best weapon against the Covenant. Their defeat at Halo was only temporary, and they are pursuing their goal - the complete obliteration of humankind - with renewed zeal. Human military forces are exhausted and unable to stave off the Covenant's rapid advance toward Earth. Even with the Master Chief back in action, the situation looks dire - and this is at the beginning of the game, before things get a lot worse. In true Bungie tradition, the solo campaign in Halo 2 deepens and expands upon the story that began in the first game: old questions will be answered, new mysteries will unfold, and the truly epic nature of the story will finally be revealed."
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 09:57 PM   #4
mxgame

Maybe the mission is to take contol of a Halo and lead it to the Covanent homeworld. As I recall the female program was able to somewhat subvert some control of Halo subsystems while inside the control panel.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:42 AM   #5
folken001

I do not believe Halo 2 will look muhc better than Halo. You won't see much of a difference on a TV. It just doesn't offer the resolutions that the games need.

FFXI Server: Caitsith
lv 75 RNG/PLD/BRD/NIN/MNK, lv 63 WHM(Retired)
folken001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 11:00 AM   #6
mxgame

Could you at least look at the photos before commenting. The graphics are OBVIOUSLY much better. Plus, resolution is not the only factor involved such as increased polygon count, better texures, better lighting ect.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:56 PM   #7
Havoc2049

Come on Folken.....Halo 2 looks way better than Halo. Halo 2 looks almost as good as Doom 3. Hmm....I wonder if Halo 2 and Doom 3 will go head-to-head next fall, that could be interesting.

Mxgame, who knows what the mission will be. Destroying a Halo structure near the Covenant home world would make a great ending sequence. You would have to destroy it the way the Monitor wanted to, in order to do a good job and put an end to the Covenant. Did you read the book, Halo: The Fall of Reach? The book will get you thinking about all kinds of possibilities, as to what might happen in the next Halo game.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:34 PM   #8
mxgame

I usually don't read videogame related books, they tend to dissapoint. I have read Ringworld by Larry Niven which Halo seems to be very loosly based on. If it really is a good read I might pick it up.
They seem to be setting up the game and the next sequel if they are going to Earth. The next mission will have the Master Chief return to Earth. I say this for two obvious reasons. First, MC doesn't know where the Covanent homeworld is. So secondly, the only place he can return to is Earth. Guilty Spark will follow and call another Halo planet which will converge on the Human and Covanent forces.
After MC finds a way to beat the two opposing forces he will have to head to the Covanent homeworld for part III. That's my take on it anyway.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:21 PM   #9
Havoc2049

Believe it or not. Halo: The Fall of Reach is a fun book to read. I usually stay away from video game books and movies also, but the Halo book is good. The book takes place just before the video game. It explains the whole battle between the Covenant and the humans, the Spartan program and the origins of the Master Cheif. The planet Reach is the largest human military base and spaceport and it makes the battle of Halo look small time, but there is also a platoon of Spartans then, not just one. It will make you want to play through the game agian.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:01 PM   #10
b0b

TV does not offer the resolution for good graphics my ass it's a fixed resolution that they work with, umm have you ever hooked up a TV Rez game to a PC Monitor through a VGA box? and your going to tell me that it doesn't look better? just being RGB is better then AV cabling, I think Halo looked mighty fine on my TV and I think Halo 2 will be more of the same except this is a second generation title with another year worth of engine refinements piled on top of what was already there aka IT WILL LOOK BETTER =)
b0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 12:54 PM   #11
mxgame

I am downloading the trailer off Kazaa now. It should be ready when I get home from work. From what I am hearing my assumption that MC would have to return to Earth is dead on.
Old 09-06-2002, 01:22 PM   #12
Nindalf

well its okay i suppose but i will stick with GC and PS2 action games...Besides Halo is actually only Xbox im even little bit interrested and im not going to buy cosole because one game
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 02:24 PM   #13
mxgame

Well, wouldn't Halo2 make it two games for you then. Besides, if you are not interested why are you perusing topics about it.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:25 PM   #14
DBJAY

Halo 2 doens't come out for a bit, so buying an XBox now means you get the chance to play over 300 games until Halo 2 comes out. Isn't that enough games to justify a purchase? FYI, Xbox is racking up some very impressive action games like Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Vexx, Rayman 3, Unreal T,. etc. etc. In all cases, the Xbox versions of the the multi-console releases are superior and have a combination of the following traits - either enhanced graphically to a little degree or to a large degree, some include new levels, some offer online support, and all use the hard drive for various effects (custome soundtracks as one example). If you care about playing the best possible version of multi-console game, Xbox is the platform of choice.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 03:18 PM   #15
Nindalf

Yeah but graphics arent everything in games you know that!
And I cant afford buying mutch games on other consoles than my cube!PS2 i will only get GTA:Vice city!

And all my favorite games are in Cube!
(And im not interrested in many action games expect Die Hard:Vendetta,Metroid Prime and little bit of Halo but none of the games you listed!)?But everyone has their opnion of games.Some think Xbox has best games some PS2 but i think GC!
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote