The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 06-15-2004, 05:20 AM   #1
TheHardware
The Moment..

japan hates xbox...

MORE JAPANESE SALES WOE FOR XBOX

Weekly sales clock in at just over 500 for Microsoft's big black box

13:27 It really does seem that Japan will never quite 'get' Xbox in this generation. Despite reports of extra marketing activity and price-cuts, Microsoft's console continues to falter in Asia's key territory with Media Create reporting weekly sales of just 574 units, for the week ending June 6.
Failure to cater for the RPG-obsessed Japanese market and the reluctance of key local developers such as Square Enix to support the machine are two major reasons behind the Xbox's stuttering overseas display. Inevitably, it's a completely different story for both Sony and Nintendo, with PS2 weekly sales almost reaching 30,000 while the GBA SP and GameCube chalked up figures of 24,838 and 5,020 respectively.

Unless Microsoft finds new ways of expanding its appeal beyond its very 'westernised' image and branding, the Xbox will continue to sink without trace in Asian territories. However, at least some hope was offered to the imminent Xbox 2 after Square Enix recently admitting to the possibility of developing for the machine. Final Fantasy on a Microsoft console? You just never know.

Old 06-15-2004, 05:35 AM   #2
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Final Fantasy on a Microsoft console? Keep dreaming. Unless M$ is reaaaaly up for paying big bucks to get SE to make..something for the console I doubt they will just go "Ok, what the heck" and make "Final Fantasy" Pffft, they would most likely just port FF: CC if they could. At lest it be online.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:24 AM   #3
redmask

Re: japan hates xbox...

Quote:
Originally posted by TheHardware
MORE JAPANESE SALES WOE FOR XBOX

Weekly sales clock in at just over 500 for Microsoft's big black box

13:27 It really does seem that Japan will never quite 'get' Xbox in this generation. Despite reports of extra marketing activity and price-cuts, Microsoft's console continues to falter in Asia's key territory with Media Create reporting weekly sales of just 574 units, for the week ending June 6.
Failure to cater for the RPG-obsessed Japanese market and the reluctance of key local developers such as Square Enix to support the machine are two major reasons behind the Xbox's stuttering overseas display. Inevitably, it's a completely different story for both Sony and Nintendo, with PS2 weekly sales almost reaching 30,000 while the GBA SP and GameCube chalked up figures of 24,838 and 5,020 respectively.

Unless Microsoft finds new ways of expanding its appeal beyond its very 'westernised' image and branding, the Xbox will continue to sink without trace in Asian territories. However, at least some hope was offered to the imminent Xbox 2 after Square Enix recently admitting to the possibility of developing for the machine. Final Fantasy on a Microsoft console? You just never know.
because
1-most of Xbox games are not exclusive
2-most of Xbox games made in US that means they look a like
3-Xbox do not have invented games

PS:if some one argue abut this i will ignore him

Last edited by redmask; 06-15-2004 at 06:31 AM.
redmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:26 AM   #4
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Re: Re: japan hates xbox...

Quote:
Originally posted by redmask
because
1-most of Xbox games are not exclusive
2-most of Xbox games made in US that means they look a like
3-Xbox do not have invented games
1. BS.
2. BS.
3. BS.

its because it's made in America by Microsoft that they dont' like that and the games are mostly wetern style.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:58 PM   #5
DBJAY

That's true, look at the Japanese sales charts over the course of a year. They are dominated by games, especially the smaller titles, that never get released in the US.

Japan quite simply has radically different tastes in gaming than the rest of the world, and honestly, they are the last region to look to if you are a western gamer.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 01:41 PM   #6
Robo Halloween
Banned

*offers redmask a banana*
Robo Halloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:47 PM   #7
folken001

It's no wonder why Japanese don't care much for Xbox's games. I have no interest in it at all. Appearantly, M$ thinks sex and gore will get them business. It might work with Americans, I think it'll take much more than having a tons of sports, FPS and racing titles to convince Japanese.

The Japanese have different taste than the rest of the world? What's the rest of the world? U.S? Pffft. Wait until China market starts to catch up, you'll see that comment holds any truth at all.

FFXI Server: Caitsith
lv 75 RNG/PLD/BRD/NIN/MNK, lv 63 WHM(Retired)
folken001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:26 PM   #8
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Of course Japan has different taste just a quick look at there games that aren't released outside of japan show that "Singing Pandas" for example...

As for Sex and Gore is does work in NA/EU look at GTA afterall, and let's face it looking at GTA the japanese love it too.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:58 PM   #9
DBJAY

Quote:
Originally posted by folken001
It's no wonder why Japanese don't care much for Xbox's games. I have no interest in it at all. Appearantly, M$ thinks sex and gore will get them business. It might work with Americans, I think it'll take much more than having a tons of sports, FPS and racing titles to convince Japanese.

The Japanese have different taste than the rest of the world? What's the rest of the world? U.S? Pffft. Wait until China market starts to catch up, you'll see that comment holds any truth at all.
Ever hear of the countries that make up Europe, or N. America, Australia, S. America? Check out a map, it's fun.

And China is also likely to have radically different tastes in gaming, as does S. Korea, than other parts of the world. That's the problem with people assuming Japanese gaming tastes are relevant to the other countries, or even superior to other countries. Why be concerned with what consumers in Japan think about western games? It's not like they obsess over the performance of Japanese games in other countries.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:20 PM   #10
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Hey Redmask, how come the Xbox gets more Japanese 3rd party support in the US and Europe than the GC does?
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:49 PM   #11
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Atari who is that disgusting woman in your avatar?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:20 PM   #12
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

That's my wife, you bastard!
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 07:19 PM   #13
Vert1
Banned

XBOX does not sell in Japan because they do not really cater to Japan's tastes.Tecmo helps XBOX but will not be enough to make XBOX turn into a non-failure sales wise.XBOX actually does sell off of non-exclusive games(Splinter Cell,Halo,KOTOR).The reason why XBOX is failing in Japan is because Japan as far as I know does not like FPS that much.XBOX tend to be primarily an FPS system.XBOX also tends to have nothing but realistic games which hurts in Japan since quirkiness is a plus.As Maddox said XBOX has no soul.Without good support from Japanese developers and a new gameplan that is not "sex and blood" XBOX will not be selling in Japan.

Last edited by Vert1; 06-15-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:14 PM   #14
Joe Redifer
Olé!

She must be in a punk band then, Atari. If that really is your wife (doubtful, as girls don't like guys who are into Atari) then it looks like you caught her by surprise after she walked in from a rain storm.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:26 PM   #15
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Redifer
Atari who is that disgusting woman in your avatar?

Quote:
Originally posted by AtariX
That's my wife, you bastard!

i would so kick joe's ass right about now.

Quote:
Originally posted by DBJAY
Check out a map, it's fun.

what is this thing you call a map?

i do not have any games that contain sex on my xbox, so please elaborate. some of you guys have no clue as to what you are talking about.

*looks at folken001*

Last edited by gearhound; 06-15-2004 at 11:29 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote