The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 05-25-2004, 08:24 PM   #1
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Bungie denies additional costs for clans in Halo 2

Quote:
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/517/517846p1.html?fromint=1

May 21, 2004 - Responding to a Website posting earlier in the week that Bungie would charge gamers for clan support, the Halo 2 developer, in an uncharacteristic move, spoke out against the false story.

"Not only was the story nonsense, but the subsequent retraction and admission of falsehood was beneath contempt, blaming, in effect, reader gullibility for its own deception," said Frank O-Connor, a Bungie representative.

"We don't normally address rumors one way or the other, but this one was so ill-conceived and mean spirited that we felt it necessary to cut it off at the pass. Halo 2 clan content will be a normal aspect of the Xbox Live service, and will incur no extra costs for the user. Sigh."

The developer's response to the story is unusual in that Bungie rarely, if ever, responds to rumors. But the Website that posted the erroneous story not only retracted the article, but its editors then subsequently blamed its readers for believing in the first place.

Bungie has stated before, and has reiterated, that clan content will be a normal part of the Xbox Live service, requiring no additional costs to players. Halo 2 is slated to ship on November 9, 2004 exclusively on Xbox, featuring a massive single-player story as well as support for at least 16 players online. We'll have more soon.
-- Douglass C. Perry

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 12:51 AM   #2
DBJAY

What website started that BS? Pretty ballsy to blame the readers for believing your own content!
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 05:31 AM   #3
TheHardware
The Moment..

err thats not even good enough to be a bad rumor....most online games support clan features normally..anyone who would charge for that would be like selling acar with 3 tires.......why did i even respond to this nonsense
Old 05-27-2004, 01:03 AM   #4
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

They have to address that, because even though Clan use will be free, additional content (maps, weapons, etc) will be pay.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:33 AM   #5
TheHardware
The Moment..

your kidding right..i had heard rumor of such on xbox live..like you hav eto pay for extra mapsa nd such..please say that muy knuckle head neighnoor was lying and sall downloads and upgrades from m$ are free......
Old 05-27-2004, 05:30 PM   #6
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Dr. Bombay is just guessing, he doesn't know. The majority of Xbox downloads have been free. There have been four game that have charged for extra content; MechAssualt, Links 2004, DDR Ultramix and Project Gotham Racing 2. Mech Assualt and Links 2004 also have free downloads as well. All the downloads have been $4.95. I recently bought the PGR2 download for $4.95 and it came with 7 tracks in a new city, Paris, and 7 new cars. Not that bad of a deal IMO.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:42 PM   #7
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

With a game that everyone will be playing, and yes, everyone will be playing this, Microsoft will definately make the extra content pay. It's just a matter of when extra content will be released.

I don't really mind that it's pay, as long as it's worth while. The PGR2 downloads were worth it, and I did buy that. The DDR ultramix downloads however, were not. No one was pissed with the PGR2 download because the content was actually very good. Let's just hope the trend is carried on with Halo 2 in the future.

~So Should You~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Old 05-27-2004, 09:06 PM   #8
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Ok, any body who actually believe this rumor is and idiot, I mean come on seriously, pay for clan support, there isn't a developer out there today dumb enough to do something like that (-will now wait and see a developer go stupid on him-)

Funny, they made the Halo Custom Edition for free, all you need is a copy of Halo.... so I seriously doubt that they would charge.
I think the only way they would charge for something is like if they had a single player and multiplayer expansion with like loads and loads of new maps and tons of new weapons. if they have small updates like a weapons here, a map there, they won't charge for those... besides... I doubt there will be much DL content for Halo 2 to begin with.

Currently PLAYING: Oblivion(PC), Rise of Legends Demo (PC), Commandos 2 (PC)

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Renegade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:15 AM   #9
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Wasn't the halo custom edition for PC and avalible outside the Live service? Yeah...

And they'll probably save all downloadible content for 1 big lump download that's somewhere along the lines of 3 - 4 thousand blocks of memory on the xbox HD.

It'll probably be at least 6 months past the release before we see it, but I'm sure we'll see it, especially with the amount of people who are going to buy an xbox solely for this game.

~So Should You~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~