The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 04-22-2008, 06:39 AM   #3406
shinobi00
Hyper Ninja 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decado View Post
The whole show is terrible. There isn't one decent character or quality episode in the series. Total trash, IMO.
I agree with you on the character thing, but the overall storyline makes it definitely worth watching. Some good Anime always has annoying characters, sometimes you just have to get over it.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:54 AM   #3407
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavedFromSin View Post
I just finished watching all of Fullmetal Alchemist for the first time. Really liked it, except the ending of the series. Really wanted to strangle somebody. Of course, I can tell it was a total lead in for the movie (which I havent seen yet).

Has anyone seen Samurai 7? Is it good? I am thinking of buying the series, but not sure if it is worth.
It was okay. If you've seen the original Seven Samurai, you know how it's going to end. The end is pretty disjointed and the way they tried to tie certain events to how they transpired in the original movie is a little silly, but overall, it was okay.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #3408
Vegetto
Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavedFromSin View Post
I just finished watching all of Fullmetal Alchemist for the first time. Really liked it, except the ending of the series. Really wanted to strangle somebody. Of course, I can tell it was a total lead in for the movie (which I havent seen yet).
oh you HAVE to see the movie man, it totally completes the series awesomely.
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:58 PM   #3409
Northeastmonk

I get to watch the new Neon Genesis movie soon. I preordered a the limited release version from Play-Asia. $60 for that thing. I just recently found out that my Cowboy Beebop box set is bootlegged (Perfect Sessions), so I had to go out and buy the bandai remix set. Makes me angry because of the disc art being so much better on "Perfect Sessions". I mean, the box set is in Japanese. The dubbing has the American version, plus the video quality is a horrible mpeg quality. With the Remix version (official version) I get 5.1 Dolby sound and Session 0.

I hate bootlegs. And does anyone know if the Fist of North star ever came out in a square box? With layouts of Manga surrounding the picture of Kenshiro? I am yet to decide if its bootlegged or not. It comes with every episode and the movie, plus I only saw a black box for the FOTN box set. And this one is shiny. The disc sure do resemble the series. "Manga" is copyrighted on the disc, but bootleggers dont care? Any thoughts???
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:36 AM   #3410
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
fist of the north star only has 6 dvds out over here of the original and it's not even the whole series like 30 episodes or so, anything else is bootlegged.

You can download the entire series subtitled right and all that crap at www.heartofmadness.com

Manga doesn't own the rights to First of the Northstar anymore so it's ok.
spider-prime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:38 AM   #3411
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

English dub goes up to 32.
I doubt many legit boxsets are still circulating around the internet at the moment, so bootleg is pretty much as good as it will get, but if the sibs are bad, heart of madness do a really good job.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:45 AM   #3412
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

why would you watch the eng dubs? You fuckin insane?

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #3413
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
some eng dubs are fine and some are just horrid. One piece comes to mind. *shudders*
spider-prime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #3414
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Just saying, hasn't been released in America past episode 32. (and it sucks...)
However, I do believe the New FotNS has been released stateside.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #3415
ATMA
Gamer junkie

http://mugen.kc.kodansha.co.jp/eizou.html

Trailer of Blade of the Immortal. Seems they are going to make the book over to anime and not make a new story-saga. Looks good non the less. Although from an artistic point of view I wish they would have made it more "rough" or pick a style that look more than the usual style, at least that way it would look a bit more like Hiroaki Samura's style. This looks too "clean".

Really curious how they (as in western studios) gonna deal with the Swastika symbol on Manji's kimono though. Obviously the symbol is much older than the WWII era, but people go crazy if they see the symbol nowadays, while this symbol was used way before the era it was labeled with as evil.
ATMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #3416
Diavle

Ok, I broke down and watched the new Evangelion movie (1 of 4).

Here's how it went:

Waiting for new material...
A couple of lines said that I don't remember being said before.
A couple of lines said that I don't remember being said before.
A scene I don't remember seeing (at least not this early)
OMG a few seconds before the end.

Yeah, it was basically 98 percent rehash, it felt like I was literally watching an edited together version of the original series. The art and staging of scenes is extremely similar as well.

Didn't feel so much as a remake as a re-release until the last few seconds when Kaoru was show with what looked like another Lilith. So yeah, hopefully the next one will feel more fresh.

Oh yeah, I forgot the name of the character I spoilered above and checked Wiki. Here's what I came across:

Quote:
Evangelion has reportedly grossed over 150 billion yen, or approximately 1.2 billion USD[1]. In a discussion at the 2006 Tekkoshocon, Matt Greenfield claimed Evangelion has grossed over 2 billion USD[2]; Takeda 2002 reiterates that "It sold record numbers of laserdiscs in Japan, and the DVD is still selling well today."
-
An archive of my stuff thus far: http://diavle.deviantart.com/
Diavle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:07 PM   #3417
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Seems like the kid is getting a little better.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:53 PM   #3418
Decado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMA View Post
http://mugen.kc.kodansha.co.jp/eizou.html

Trailer of Blade of the Immortal. Seems they are going to make the book over to anime and not make a new story-saga. Looks good non the less. Although from an artistic point of view I wish they would have made it more "rough" or pick a style that look more than the usual style, at least that way it would look a bit more like Hiroaki Samura's style. This looks too "clean".

Really curious how they (as in western studios) gonna deal with the Swastika symbol on Manji's kimono though. Obviously the symbol is much older than the WWII era, but people go crazy if they see the symbol nowadays, while this symbol was used way before the era it was labeled with as evil.
This could be awesome. I really hope it is, anyway. Maybe they'll be showing it in HD and on a satellite channel or something (uncensored). Otherwise I suspect the DVD release will be "uncut". This, along with The Five Killers, are my most anticipated anime.

Sword of the Stranger whetted my appetite for more awesome "period piece" action shows.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:35 AM   #3419
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Im liking Tower of Druaga much more than Blasreitter for some reason...
Old 05-02-2008, 03:21 AM   #3420
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Woot! Double Post! Been like a week so whatever...

Just watched the first Rebuild of Evangelion movie. There was a lot of repeat (as expected) but overall this was well worth watching even if you've seen the series six times (like myself) or only halfway through (like my roomate). The animation was amazing, but not the best I have seen (i think they were trying to be very reminiscent of the original series), but the updated Angels are amazing. The story follows the series almost entirely, but definitely streamlines a lot of parts (such as Shinji running away) and makes a lot of parts more dramatic (like again, shinji running away). Sure there was a bit of plot debunkery such as lilith swapping places with adam and the lance of loginus already in place but I'd go as far as say this is a better way to enjoy the series.

Unlike the Live-Action Deathnote. Also watched that recently, and its way too long. Like Evangelion, its relatively close to the original work (though the ending is a disaster of sorts) but its pretty much the same length of the series, minus some key character building elements. It also is pretty dull if you know whats about to happen...