Super Castlevania IV -- 9.5

Genesis
... loading

TurboDuo
Dracula X: Rondo of Blood -- 9
Lords of Thunder -- 10

Sega CD
... loading

Last edited by gearhound; 04-24-2006 at 11:57 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 04:55 PM   #2
gearhound
Versus the World

A classic throwback to great adventuring of old.

This game kicks ass!

Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim
Console: Playstation 2
Release: February 2005
Developer: Falcom
Publisher: Konami

Overview
Prepare to embark on a classic journey that will fill your gaming heart with the bliss of nostalgic action, music to die for, and a cast of characters that will forever live in your memory. This is Ys VI (pronounced ?ease?), Falcom?s lovable series that pits the hero, Adol, on non-stop adventures to save the world. Ys VI was originally released on the PC in Japan in 2003. We finally get to experience this gem on the Playstation 2, and we owe it all to Konami. Let the gaming begin!

Story: 8/10
Ys VI?s story certainly will not overwhelm you and knock your pants off, but what it will do is keep you glued to the very end. The Ys series is known for its original story lines and part VI is no different. The game opens in a tavern where Adol is approached by a man who asks him if he wants to discover the edge of the world with him. Adol has no choice but to join him because with a few seconds, Romun soldiers bust through the door in an attempt to arrest Adol. They all escape on a pirate ship towards the Great Vortex of Canaan, which swallows all ships that come near, but are soon attacked by the Romuns. Adol eventually falls off the ship in an attempt to save his friend and is washed away. The game begins with Adol lying on a beach soon to be rescued by a strange race of people known as Rehdans. And so your journey begins?

Graphics: 8.5/10
The land of Ys VI is quite astonishing in detail with rich, colorful landscapes spread throughout the land of Canaan that range from mountainous areas to beautiful palaces and huge grasslands. Adol runs into many unique characters during his journeys all of which are beautifully drawn and sometimes cover the entire screen during certain conversations and special events. Don?t worry, though ? every character will always say something different the first 2 or 3 times you talk to them. The enemies are well designed as are the bosses, which seem to overpower poor Adol in every aspect ? they are huge! Konami has opted to include CG cutscenes and an intro explaining what happened to Adol, but thank the gaming gods we can input a cheat code that will lets players view the amazing anime intro and anime cutscenes throughout the game!

Gameplay: 9.5/10
The gameplay is the heart and soul of Ys VI; it is the lifeblood of the series. Running around the field encountering all types of enemies is as fun as ever. Adol has plenty of moves to utilize. All of these moves are performed with ease for the control is perfect and very responsive, especially with the analog stick. There are three magical swords that are waiting for you to master. Each sword offers different combos as well as magical attacks. By defeating enemies, you gain emel, a rare metal that is dropped by enemies, which allows you to level up your swords, increasing the magical potency and overall strength. The game isn?t easy, though. You will encounter enemies that can and will kill you in a matter of seconds. But hey, that?s the fun part, right?

Sound: 9.5/10
What an incredibly traditional RPG soundtrack. The Ys series is also known for its stunning and masterfully composed music, and Ys VI?s soundtrack will keep your gaming blood flowing as you slash and slay your way through Canaan. The musical score demonstrates amazing talent and fits the mood of the game perfectly. The music may not be as good as Ys Book 1 or 2, but it shouldn?t disappoint fans of the series. The voice acting is constant throughout the game, unlike most RPGs or action-adventure games. However, if you don?t want to hear it you can turn it off. The acting ranges from decent to below average. Certain characters? voices, like Terra?s, will annoy you to the point of wanting to put your head through the T.V. Each voice is very unique though and adds much to the personalities of each character, bringing you even closer to the characters and the game itself.

Overall Experience: 10/10
I enjoyed this game more than I could possibly express into words; it?s an almost ineffable experience. This is as traditional as it gets nowadays. I had so much fun leveling up Adol, my swords, exploring the vast land of Ys, and speaking to the many inhabitants I forgot I even existed. Ys is for the lover of videogames -- an experience not to be missed for fans of the genre. Ys VI is a rare gift from the gaming gods that will make you remember why you play videogames in the first place. If you are familiar with the Ys series, or if you love action-adventure games, you will fall in love with Falcom?s latest.

Rating: 9.1/10

Last edited by gearhound; 09-06-2005 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:07 PM   #3
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Nice reivew, Gearhound. I look forward to more reviews.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
Abaddon
Banned

Arrow

I passionately disagree with your game review!

Hey, Review a Nippon Ichi SRPG!
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinful Sam
Nice reivew, Gearhound. I look forward to more reviews.
thank you, sinful sam. i look forward to writing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon
I passionately disagree with your game review!

Hey, Review a Nippon Ichi SRPG!
ya' know i would but i have yet to play through one. tell you what. you send me one of their games in the mail, i play it, finish and review and keep the game! sound good?
Old 03-16-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
Abaddon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound
ya' know i would but i have yet to play through one. tell you what. you send me one of their games in the mail, i play it, finish and review and keep the game! sound good?
Interesting proposition, heres another

You take a hammer, pull out one of your nuts, set it on a table, and start taking swings at the table until you hit something, then do a passionate review of how that felt.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:07 PM   #7
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Good review. I am still on my first time through, but I want to play it again after I finiush with the anime cut-scenes. I have seen only one cut scene so far and that is the opening. When you switch it to anime, are there more cut-scenes?

Neo Contra, huh? The credits roll after only 4 stages... UNLESS you get A's on each stage, then you get 7 stages! I hated the overhead view because I constantly had to lock and unlock my direction. It didn't work as well as the overhead levels in Contra III.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:54 PM   #8
gearhound
Versus the World

thanks, joe.

neo contra was a disappointment. the dialogue is so cheesy though it's hilarious.... i laugh every time i play it...

"hey, reizer! go ahead, uprood it!"

reizer -- "huh?"

Last edited by gearhound; 03-16-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:27 PM   #9
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Neo Contra PWNZ!!!!!

Now about my question of the Y's anime cut scenes... are there actually more cut scenes when these are turned on? Because without the ONLY cut-scene is in the very beginning of the game. And I expect the next one to be the ending, and that's it. Also, can you combine cheats?
Old 03-17-2005, 02:25 AM   #10
gearhound
Versus the World

yeah, you can combine cheats. once you turn on the anime cut-scenes, you get anime cut-scenes throughout the game.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:38 AM   #11
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Sa-weeeeet!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:34 AM   #12
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

All right! You finally made your own reviews thread, gearhound. And you had to kick so much ass and include Ys VI as your first review. Nice job. :cool guy:
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:10 PM   #13
gearhound
Versus the World

thanks, icarus
Old 03-17-2005, 06:56 PM   #14
govtcheese
Pimp of the Universe

Exclamation There

See, I read that and now I will make you let me borrow Y's!!! SEE WHAT YOU DID!
ARGH! Sehr Gut!
Just remember the gaming gods bite.
:kill:
govtcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:00 AM   #15
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

That does sound like a good idea, gearhound. In fact, I had thought about such a project. But I don't know if it would work, not because we don't have what it takes but because some of us (well, myself anyway) have desires apart from video games.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote