The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 07-30-2002, 06:47 PM   #1
DBJAY

Rare officially goes multi-platform....

http://www.cubenation.com

The site is in french, but it does confirm Rare's move into multi-platform publishing. Nintendo licensed character games (Donkey Kong, Starfox) remain on Gamecube, leaving Rare the option to take their franchises (Perfect Dark, Conker, Banjo, Kameo) to other platforms.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 07:49 PM   #2
Black Sugar
put some sugar on top...

I read the article, (I can read french) And your right. There's no doubt about it. Rare are going multiplaform.

The words came directly from the mouth of Mathieu Minel, marketing manager for Nintendo France.

This is a really good news, and this should explain why we never heard of Kameo since the last SpaceWorld, he'll probrably go multiplateform.
Black Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 10:01 PM   #3
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Rare if had released Goldeneye 007 on PSone as well, the game would had sold over 10 million units, the N64 Goldeneye sold 7.5 million copies. So one in every four people that own an N64 would have this game, about 25% on the user base. Mario 64 sold 11.26 million units, which accounts for 34% of all N64 owner, so one in three owns it.

I'd say Rare will do just as good. Before partnering with Nintendo, Rare was independent. Though the company grows from 84 employees to 250 since Nintendo invested to built Rare a new facility to accomodate more people.

In conclusion, Perfect Dark Zero, Conker and Banjo is gonna spread out on all consoles, and many other's to come.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:11 AM   #4
CodeNameRaiden

Thumbs down

Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot. Rare is going to be a elite 3rd party now there going to be up there with Konami, Capcom, Sqaure etc.
Old 07-31-2002, 06:53 AM   #5
xXx Beaver xXx
OL's Personal \|/|-|0R3

yeh!

my friend myatomota wanted it this way, especially on dreamcast.

- Triple X Beaver :spin smil
Old 07-31-2002, 08:42 AM   #6
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

If they do go multi-platform, then it's a good thing for Rare, as they are a strong, though often tardy, development house. This can only mean more sales for them.

But, what about Nintendo? Rare, in my eyes and those of many, is one of their strongest assets. What will happen should they lose their exclusiveness? Even if the GC gets a copy of every Rare game made- it still wouldn't mean the same thing for Nintendo. It'd mean the same thing for me (unless Microsoft pays for additional features.. grrr.. or worse- assimilates the company) but what about business-wise?

EDIT: I don't see it. I tried looking on the site, but I can't find the article- please point to a direct link, guys.

Last edited by l33t GAWD; 07-31-2002 at 08:58 AM.
Kid0_oIcarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 08:50 AM   #7
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

The only thing I could find reguarding this is this block of French.

Quote:
From Cube Nation
Au sujet du contentieux entre RareWare et Nintendo, un repr?sentant de la seconde compagnie cit?e nous a dit haut et fort : "J'ai pu jeter un oeil sur l'?tat de d?veloppement des jeux que Rare est en train de concevoir pour le Nintendo Gamecube, et ce que je peux affirmer c'est que les projets annonc?s sont tous en phase de d?veloppement ; aucun d'entre eux n'a ?t? abandonn?. Il n'y a jamais eu de probl?me entre Rare et nous."

Selon le Press Kit, Donkey Kong Racing, Kameo Element of Power et Perfect Dark 0 sont d'ailleurs annonc?s en d?veloppement chez Rare. Il est pr?cis? ?galement que PD0 sera bien un FPS et qu'il se jouera ? quatre ; un mode quatre joueurs que reprendra aussi DK Racing.
Which loosely translated using Altavista is:

Quote:
Translation by Altavista, powered by SYSTRAN
About the dispute between RareWare and Nintendo, a representative of the second quoted company said to us high and strong: "I could throw an eye on the level of development of the plays that Rare is conceiving for Nintendo Gamecube, and what I can affirm it is that the announced projects all are in phase of development; none of them was abandoned. There never was problem between Rare and us." According to Press Kit, Donkey Kong Racing, Kameo Element of Power and Perfect Dark 0 are announced besides under development at Rare. It is also specified that PD0 will be well a FPS and that it will be played four; a mode four players whom also DK Racing take againwill take again.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:18 AM   #8
Alucard

Same here. I dont see anything. Where abouts is it?
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 11:05 AM   #9
DBJAY

The same site, cubenation, has now dropped the article. Maybe they lept to a faulty conclusion after talking to Mr. Miner? Seems odd they would make such a mistake, and considering Ign, CV&G, OXM, PSM, and EGM have all at one time or another gone to press with the mention of Rare branching out, how can every mag/site get it wrong? I have a feeling the full truth will not be known until E3 03.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 03:49 PM   #10
aneep

Quote:
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
If they do go multi-platform, then it's a good thing for Rare, as they are a strong, though often tardy, development house. This can only mean more sales for them.

But, what about Nintendo? Rare, in my eyes and those of many, is one of their strongest assets. What will happen should they lose their exclusiveness? Even if the GC gets a copy of every Rare game made- it still wouldn't mean the same thing for Nintendo. It'd mean the same thing for me (unless Microsoft pays for additional features.. grrr.. or worse- assimilates the company) but what about business-wise?

EDIT: I don't see it. I tried looking on the site, but I can't find the article- please point to a direct link, guys.
relax

Nintendo will be fine

Rare going multi will not affect them as much as Sony will feel if Square goes multi IMO

Nintendo still have EAD, Hal Lab, etc. to fall back on

-aneep-
aneep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 03:58 PM   #11
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

h4h4. I wasn't hyperventalat1ng or anything ov3r it. 1t's n0t the 3nd of the w0rld- but it might b3 a step back for the big N in th3ir world domination pl4n.