The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 04-09-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Robocop from hell

This thing looks similar to a mech and is real. Watch a video of this robocop romaing around what I'm presuming is a third-world country, being fired upon and firing back, walking and running, jumping, etc. ~ http://www.theembassyvfx.com/tetra_w_movie.html

It looks like everybody in law enforcement is infatuated with robotics. So what happens if somebody hacks this thing? What if somebody finds a way to make it glitch and it opens fire on innocent people? The last thing we need is a robot roaming around carrying an automatic firearm.

What do you think?

Old 04-09-2004, 02:30 PM   #2
Kojiro

Re: Robocop from hell

Quote:
Originally posted by Icarus4578
This thing looks similar to a mech and is real. Watch a video of this robocop romaing around what I'm presuming is a third-world country, being fired upon and firing back, walking and running, jumping, etc. ~ http://www.theembassyvfx.com/tetra_w_movie.html

It looks like everybody in law enforcement is infatuated with robotics. So what happens if somebody hacks this thing? What if somebody finds a way to make it glitch and it opens fire on innocent people? The last thing we need is a robot roaming around carrying an automatic firearm.

What do you think?
Yeah, as real as Woody and Buzz, from toy story...

Last edited by Kojiro; 04-09-2004 at 02:35 PM.
Kojiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 02:31 PM   #3
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Uuuuh, are you telling me that it is CG?
Old 04-09-2004, 02:35 PM   #4
Kojiro

I'm sure it is. The most advanced Humanoid Robot is the one made by Honda, I presume, and it still moves like a turtle... A Robot like the one in the video is still light years ahead... (the current AI programs can't even make a robot capable of walking wright...)
Old 04-09-2004, 02:38 PM   #5
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Well that looks pretty realistic to me. If that isn't real then it's what they're aiming for one day, and that's just downright WRONG. I guess that law enforcement is gonna see a decline in employment if we see something like that thing. I don't know about you, but I'm not about to accept being watched by an f'n robot with a camera in its head and an automatic rifle.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
Axe Wielding Nut
Banned

reminds me of the robot cop from Appleseed, only skinnier

god I hated that anime......

dude, when they have Robocops on the street, there will literally be a Terminator state of being.. they'll get funky AI, and start pickin off humans and shit.. fuck that
Axe Wielding Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 02:45 PM   #7
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Or we'll start a rebellion before it ever becomes widespread and destroy them all. Just one question: given all the unreliability of technology and other man-made artificial things, why would anybody in their right mind entrust their lives to robots and computers? There are more faults in technology and science than there are truths (or what we may perceive as being true). We're always looking to make our lives more convenient by all means necessary, but you don't need to be lectured to about this. I think anybody could see that this thing would present problems and nothing but.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:54 PM   #8
Axe Wielding Nut
Banned

Quote:
Or we'll start a rebellion before it ever becomes widespread and destroy them all. Just one question: given all the unreliability of technology and other man-made artificial things, why would anybody in their right mind entrust their lives to robots and computers? There are more faults in technology and science than there are truths (or what we may perceive as being true). We're always looking to make our lives more convenient by all means necessary, but you don't need to be lectured to about this. I think anybody could see that this thing would present problems and nothing but.
because people are lazy

convenience is the name of the game for some, efficiency for others...

and computers and technology helps both... it helps gets things done faster, easier, and more precicely

unfortunatly, since computers can not make decisions for itself (even if programmed its still being made to think a certain way) it can be corrupted and manipulated.. therefor there will inevitably be a war between man and machine, in which a man must rise up and lead a revolution against a constantly evolving machine race who's only desire is to destroy mankind!

I ALONE CAN STOP THE REBELLION! BAND TOGETHER AND DEFEAT THE THREAT!
Old 04-09-2004, 02:56 PM   #9
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

If that were true, I still wouldn't follow after any leadership. I'd just act on my own will. I don't trust people, particularly people with power.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:59 PM   #10
Axe Wielding Nut
Banned

Quote:
If that were true, I still wouldn't follow after any leadership. I'd just act on my own will. I don't trust people, particularly people with power.
good man! you'll be the first to go! I can't allow dissention in the ranks!!
Old 04-09-2004, 02:59 PM   #11
Alucard

Thats one cool commercial. Sadly I dont see us getting anything NEAR that cool for another 50-60 years.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:02 PM   #12
Axe Wielding Nut
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Alucard
Thats one cool commercial. Sadly I dont see us getting anything NEAR that cool for another 50-60 years.
I'll stay around for as long as it takes!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:33 PM   #13
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I have a good eye for this kind of thing and it is definitely CG. I can always tell CG in movies as well, because the CG usually looks like crap. The reason it looks kinda real is because it has human reactions. It ducks when being shot at (why?), it flinches when debris and dust are around it, etc. Pretty cool, though.

Edit: Look at the title of the page the Quicktime is presented on. "The Embassy of Visual Effects".

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 04-09-2004 at 07:40 PM.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:20 AM   #14
Vegetto
Alive

case closed
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote