The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 03-28-2004, 03:51 AM   #1
DBJAY

Conspiracy theory! MS and Nin team up!

So it over at the gaming age forums. Basically, there is a lot of cryptic message posts coming that put forth the theory that N5 and X2 are the same platform.

OG thread:

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthr...threadid=84664

My two cents is that this is a possibility.

Consider:

1.) It has been rumored that Nintendo was planning to leave hardware for the console.

2.) Both MS and Sony are pushing multi-media even farther next time, Nintendo is not. Nintendo appears to heading in a radically different direction than Sony and MS. Why? Why don't they feel the need to match the ambitions of Sony and MS unless they know that they don't need to.

3.) Nintendo is a name in Japan, whereas MS is not. A Nintendo branded MS platform would do a lot better than a MS branded platform as evidenced by Xbox1.

4.) XNA is cross platform tool between PC and X2.

5.) MS said they are not going into the portable market. Why? Deal with Nintendo?

6.) Nintendo majority of revenue comes from GBA, and software. The costs of a console are unecessary. They are more concerned with delivering games to a console, not with delivering DVD, online, etc. like MS & Sony. So why absorb the coss of creating a console with all that functionality?

7.) Both MS and Nintendo are using the same tech partners..ATI, and IBM. The only thing to separate the consoles is now hardware features..a media center Xbox2 and a pure games N5. Could they agree to cross platform software titles where the N5 targets the kids market with simpler platform with a lower cost, and X2 goes for the high end price point with added features.

8.) Nintendo isn't exactly prolific with their software. Wer'e 2.5 years into the Cube life cycle and it's really slowed down. That, and their software typically does not push any graphical boundaries, so they don't need a high performance machine to deliver games.

9.) Developers would support the move, as it would cut development costs using XNA tools to code for PC, X2, and N5.

Wild isn't it? E3 will be very, very interesting.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 08:10 AM   #2
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

These sort of rumors pop out of the woodwork every once in awhile, so I wouldn't be suprised if this claim was denied by company execs. If it's true, it may be longer (than E3 this year) before we know for certain.

Is it a good idea? Only time will tell.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:09 PM   #3
Vert1
Banned

Nintendo and Microsoft together.:yikes: :thumbdn: :kill:
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 03:40 PM   #4
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I think M$ would have a little more to gain then Nintendo, also I keep hearing M$ is more interested in it then Nintendo is.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:03 PM   #5
Vert1
Banned

Hrrmm would this make me reduce my hatred of Microsoft in gaming or make me not buy Nintendo's fuged console?I think Nintendo has more pride then that.Microsoft asked them already and they were turned down why is this being brought up again how insistent is Microsoft on getting Nintendo?
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 04:58 PM   #6
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Ah sometimes, rumors are made on the inside to favor a certain company. In this case it be M$. They made similar rumors at the start of the gen in OXM. One was that Nintendo was going 3rd party and had Xbox games in development. It's true M$ talked to Nintnedo, even offered the buy out. I'm glade Nintendo didn't give in though. Same for Sega, who had to deal with it more no doubt.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:10 PM   #7
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I think this would be a great idea for both sides if they did this

it would really kill sony IMO
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 08:37 PM   #8
Nem
Smash bro!

rubish and heresy!!
Nintendo teaming up with M$, what a !
Besides, Nintendo makes profit with their harware sales, why is that an unecessary effort?! Really some ppl...
Old 03-28-2004, 09:54 PM   #9
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

After seeing Sonic running around on a Nintendo console...I never shoot down a rumor like this 100%.

Just 99.999% in this case.

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation,
The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:34 PM   #10
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

Lemme go ahead and wish you all a happy April Fools

Gaming Age? Bwahahahahaha
Old 03-29-2004, 12:46 AM   #11
Vegetto
Alive

I would never ever beleive somthing as stupid as this rumor...never
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:32 AM   #12
DBJAY

That was exaclty the sentiment running around in late 2000 when the rumors of Sega leaving hardware began to surface. We all know how that turned out.

I give it a 50/50 chance, with Nintendo deciding to not go after the same type of gamer as Sony and MS, and instead focusing on the younger gamers who have gobbled up Pokemon. I expect Nintendo to release another console, but it will not be the media centers like the PS3 and X2.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:24 AM   #13
Nindalf

I did no such thing!!
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:51 PM   #14
Cobi*
renegade

Re: Conspiracy theory! MS and Nin team up!

Quote:
Originally posted by DBJAY
7.) Both MS and Nintendo are using the same tech partners..ATI, and IBM. The only thing to separate the consoles is now hardware features..a media center Xbox2 and a pure games N5. Could they agree to cross platform software titles where the N5 targets the kids market with simpler platform with a lower cost, and X2 goes for the high end price point with added features.
While I won't dismiss it completely this is really the only valid point in the argument, and even this point is stretched far beyond the truth of the matter (that Nintendo and Microsoft are working with both ATI and IBM on their next-gen consoles). The rest is what people have been saying about Nintendo ever since the end of the N64's life-span and the demise of Sega.
Cobi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:35 PM   #15
DBJAY

Really? What are the invalid points of the arguement?

Has Nintendo ever pursued a multi-media console? They haven't used CD or DVD for 10 years, so now you think they are going to change and go with a mass market format like HD DVD?

Further evidence of Nintendo's lack of media center ambition, is that the GC itself wasn't designed to take advantage of HDTV or dolby digital 5.1 surround sound.

So the didn't pursue a mass market media, skipped HDTV support (and are remodeling the GC to remove an a/v port), skipped on supporting DD 5.1 (even though both PS2, Xbox, and most DVD players, support it).

I suppose if Nintendo radically changed direction to support these features in N5, that would be a different story. As their history suggests, they do not pursue those features.