The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 01-20-2004, 09:17 AM   #1
Alucard

FBI Raids Over Half-Life 2 Source Theft

I'm in zombie mode and couldn't quite figure where to put this thread. Another day and I'd have no trouble. I'm in n00b mode now. Yes yes, I know what half of you are thinkin now.

Quote:
TheXerox writes "According to a recent weblog post, a San Francisco native had his house raided by the FBI last week, and 'lost upwards of 9 machines, and lots of misc equipment besides' in a seizure related to the theft of the Half-Life 2 source code from Valve Software." The scanned-in search warrant posted on the site indicates the FBI were looking for "...any IP addresses related to any of the Valve internal or external networks... Valve passwords and/or usernames... any and all items... related to Valve Software, Half-Life, Half-Life 2", and the Hungry Programmers page mentions that "...several Hungries were raided on January 14th by the FBI and Secret Service, and their computers seized."
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl...tid=204&tid=95

Hope they caught the guy. See if he thinks it was worth it now that he's off to jail for a decade or two! Not feeling too cool now are you you RETARD!!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
DBJAY

Serves them right. If the guy did commit the crime, them I'm all for it. If he didn't, then what a thing to go through! As they go through his pc's, they could find other pirated works...music, movies, other game software, so there is the possibility of even more charges beyond the Half Life 2 theft. The only good defense against this is just leading an honest life. No game is worth giving up your life over.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
about time, they need to make more stuff like this happen, I can't stand it when people steal and they justify it as nothing wrong

the only time I download something like a song or a video of a movie or episode, if its not out on video or cd or cassette

I own over 700 videogames, all legit, with me and my brothers combine, we own over 1000 CDs, same as before, we have over 500 dvds combined, and like 600 VHS tapes, I used to have more but I sold a whole bunch when I started buying them on dvds

and I'm buying even japanese R2 dvds for the shows from japan I really like but can't find over here, like Kamen Rider dvds, love the kamen rider
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:47 PM   #4
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Someone stole a video game's source code? That's crazy. But I've got some good news. I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:09 PM   #5
ChaosX721
1337 G/-\[]V[]3R

Quote:
Originally posted by Icarus4578
Someone stole a video game's source code? That's crazy. But I've got some good news. I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

LMAO that was a good one
ChaosX721 is offline   Reply With Quote