The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-18-2004, 02:13 PM   #1
Alucard

Battlefield : Vietnam

oooooh this game is looking delicious. Considering how awesome the previous game was, I'm SO getting this.

Quote:
As I said before, helicopters are very important here. Using helicopters, you can transport your troops into combat, and directly assault troops, but you'll also be able to airlift in vehicles, such as tanks and PT boats. And nothing's cooler than being able to drop a tank into the middle of a firefight. Actually, there is one thing cooler...being able to blare music as you do it.

Taking a cue from Apocalypse Now, EA has licensed 17 tracks for Battlefield Vietnam. These are all authentic songs from the era (well, except for the Wagner, of course, which predates it), and when you hop into a helicopter you can blare music, allowing players in the field to hear the music coming towards them as you swoop down from above. So if you and your teammates want to reenact the infamous "Ride of the Valkyries" sequence from Apocalypse Now, you can do so. You'll be able to substitute in your own music (just drop in an MP3), however other players won't actually hear that. Including any kind of MP3 streaming technology would have impacted the all-important netcode, so if you play a custom song, other players will hear an equivalent from the ones that ship with the game. That's a shame, but there's some great music here, including Credence Clearwater Revival, The Kinks and Jefferson Airplane, plus the aforementioned Wagner piece (performed by the Budapest Symphony).

Again, Battlefield Vietnam introduces the whole idea of guerilla warfare. Because of that, you're given weapons like miniature spikes to throw down and det packs, which work just like the Acme bombs from Looney Toons. Throw one down, walk away and wait for an unsuspecting enemy soldier to walk by...when he does, push down the plunger, and boom. Fun stuff. Flammable objects in the environment will blow up now too, so you can do some real damage if you place a det pack properly.
http://www.shacknews.com/extras/bfvietnam/

Theres alot more on the site, I just didn't want to destroy the board with 2 pages worth.

More pictures at that site, it just dont let me link to them! And see that last shot? NiN is in that tank that I just napalmed!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
Alucard

New clip up. Looks very cool. Theres 4 listed, 2 high quality 2 low. Grab the second high quality clip. The one labelled BFMaps.nl .. The other high quality is very crusty as its just a recording of a large widescreen monitor. Problem is the guy video taping it seems to think he's also holding the gun and does authentic camera movements to piss us off throughout the entire thing. I got halfway and had to turn it off. Retards these days.

http://www.bf42.com/index.php?site=news&id=1198
Old 01-28-2004, 03:18 PM   #3
Dead Account 01

I hate EA FPS. War for kiddies
Dead Account 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 04:54 PM   #4
Alucard

You are a strange one, son!
Old 01-29-2004, 02:57 AM   #5
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Well I hate EA's Medal of Honor for PS2. Battlefield is awesome though. Must save up for a better PC.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 04:06 AM   #6
Alucard

I dont know about the PS2 one. I enjoyed the PC Medal of Honour quite alot. Though it doesn't compare to Call of Duty.