The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-31-2009, 02:47 AM   #1
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Any programmers here?

I have learned a bit of C++, but i want to learn a different language instead, mainly as a hobby for now and then use it towards getting a job. What would be another good language to start using?

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:04 AM   #2
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

PHP + mysql

Will be a breeze with your C++.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:14 AM   #3
darren
... lol

most in demand ones right now are in IT from what i'v seen in the industry are listed below. personally would not bother with oracle/sql etc dba's are a dime a dozen right now (in the UK anyway)

C#
PHP
VB.net
Python
AJAX (JavaScript and XML)
Java
Perl
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

hmm i'll give those a look at. I actually knew how to use visual basic at one point in highschool, but that was a good 6 years ago, if that. I've just downloaded visual studio express from ms' site, so i'll give that a whirl.

STEAM

Old 01-31-2009, 05:53 AM   #5
darren
... lol

yeah anything .Net related will earn you some cash .. C# would be worth a look with your C++ skills. As its an essential part of the .Net framework and basically java with a differenet name (ish)

AJAX will earn you some serious cash if you are good at it .. its used by the likes of google and MS a lot. And with Atlas MS have made it a lot easier to implement

http://www.asp.net/ajax/

python and perl are more generally used by ubber scripting people. Personally would not bother with sql as everyone and his brother that writes any kind of code knows a bit of sql as they use it to implement/call db commands etc so there's not not in it on its own. And if you don't know much sql google is always your friend when it comes to getting by with sql commands etc . which is handy
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 02-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

I have a question. For something like C++ i know that there are different compilers that can be used, any suggestions on best ones to use for the ones you guys suggested? For C++ I'm using that bloodshed Dev C++, it seems to be okay so far. I downloaded visual studio from ms' site (apparently it's free now), but the installation is screwing up, and at the time i didn't feel like figuring out why.

STEAM

Old 02-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
darren
... lol

no idea whats the best one TBH ... the company i work with have corporate deals with MS/HP/Borland and Oracle so we tend to use all there Software as its basically free.

But my dev team use Borland C++ compiler when we need it as it's compatable with linux as well as windows.

Visual Studio .NET could be worth a look as it will let you compile C++ (but sometimes you have to be careful with pure C++ as tis ment for visual C++) .. not sure why it won't work for you tho .. works fine for me ?? what error you getting?

Intel's ICC is ment to be a good compiler as well, and so i'v been told complies really fast code ..
Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Well it's giving me errors when installing it. I downloaded the iso from ms' site and when i mount it, the dialog screen shows up with several buttons to install each program that they have, but none of them click, so i have to go to the iso, right-click > explore and then go to the individual folders to run the set up for them, but at the end of the setup for the vb.net it game some error and since it was crack 30 in the morning i didn't bother to deal with it.

I've heard of Borland C++, just never gave it a try. and that may be actually good to get since u said it's compatible with windows and linux. But I'll look into those that you listed, thanks ^ _ ^

STEAM

Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Chinese.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionetteKazuk View Post
Well it's giving me errors when installing it. I downloaded the iso from ms' site and when i mount it, the dialog screen shows up with several buttons to install each program that they have, but none of them click, so i have to go to the iso, right-click > explore and then go to the individual folders to run the set up for them, but at the end of the setup for the vb.net it game some error and since it was crack 30 in the morning i didn't bother to deal with it.

I've heard of Borland C++, just never gave it a try. and that may be actually good to get since u said it's compatible with windows and linux. But I'll look into those that you listed, thanks ^ _ ^
sounds like the iso might be fucked .. but borland is well worth a look as its industry strength aswell .. So is the Intel one, and the Intel one is also compatable with linux
Old 02-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #11
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Ruby
Lua
C#
Old 02-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Hmm, i think it's more than the iso that's fucked. Because on the site here there's an option to download the iso, or download the web installers and even the web installers are giving the same error. I'll just go ahead and try the one too that you mentioned.

STEAM

Old 02-13-2009, 12:59 AM   #13
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Also, what would any of you recommend to use for programming small games? I was thinking starting off trying to make 2D games and of course work my way up. I'm sure I'd have to learn the basics of programming first with text-based games, but after that what would I use for visual games? I think I read about using direct x.

STEAM

Old 02-13-2009, 03:17 AM   #14
darren
... lol

you could always have a lot at the ms/ 360 xna stuff?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/xna/default.aspx

or have a look at these sites for advice
http://gamedesign.wikicomplete.info/
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/
http://www.devmaster.net/
http://gpwiki.org/index.php/Tools:Pr...uthoring_Tools

I guess you could always look at getting 'copies' of stuff like 3d Studio and 'lightwave' for 3d modelling / animation ..
Old 02-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #15
Hikash

No one has mentioned it yet, but I'll throw it out there (even though I hate it), but eclipse is a decent IDE for java, and it has plugins for other languages as well (looks like there's a c# plugin).

Having never really used the XNA stuff, I'd recommend taking a look at that.

Me personally, I stick with the command line and a copy of Visual Studio .net 2003 for all of my development, but most of my development also runs through ant, so, there you go. (btw, from my experience, I'd say ant is a valuable tool to learn as well).
Hikash is offline   Reply With Quote