The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-12-2004, 07:33 PM   #1
Seska

Pioneer A06 to burn dual layer DVDs

Thats right! All you A06/106 owners (like me) rejoice! Pioneer demonstrated at the Las Vegas CES show that with a mere firmware update, an a06 unit was able to burn at 2x on a dual layer dvd. For the demonstration, 100 megs of data were burned on each layer, then the info was played back/read on a normal dvd-rom.

What does this mean? Its up to Pioneer, really, but it probably means they have the means to develop cheap dual layer burning units, or they might make the firmware public to boot the popularity of the A06 and the company. And even if the firmware doesnt get released, well, lets jsut say that stuff like this ends up leaking out one way or another.

Considering an A06 retails for about 120 bucks, its a damn fine investment, methinks. Sony could learn from a quality company like Pioneer! :p
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
discomfort wings

nice find seska!

i wondering if theres a hack firmware for my old a04....

wow, this could mean burning dvd is easier than ever. Don't need to recompress/split/delete scenes anymore!
discomfort wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:23 PM   #3
Seska

I heard a while back that there's a firmware update for the a04 that allows to burn at 2x on all dvd-r media. Dont know how recommendable that is, though. :p
Old 01-12-2004, 11:41 PM   #4
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I always burn at 1x as that seems to produce the most reliable discs. I have the 104 and almost bought a 106 tonight to be able to handle +R/W'ss but it was $139 and was open-box. No thanks.

Seska do you have a link to this dual layer story? Seems to me that if it were true I would have heard it by now on more reputable websites (not here where the average age is probably 12 or 14).
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:58 AM   #5
discomfort wings

yup there is, i've updated mine a04 to burn at 2x...
hope they have one for dual layer :bigsmile:
discomfort wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 05:29 AM   #6
Seska

IT was demonstrated at the CES, Joe, such "made-up" news would die fast and easy on the net. ;) But here you go:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8861
Old 01-13-2004, 10:28 AM   #7
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Made up info travels fast on the internet.

Anyway, I wonder if you'll be able to do this on regular DVD-+R/W'S? It doesn't say if a special disc is required or not.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:09 AM   #8
Seska

Well it goes without saying that to burn a dual-layer dvd you will need dual-layer media. Those are soon to be released. Has nothing to do with -+R/W's. Think of it as a third format, though unlike +R/W most DVD units can read dual layer DVDs, AFAIK.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:00 PM   #9
Rubeus

I have a Pinoeer A05, I wonder if there is a firmware update to make it compatible with DVD+R/W?
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:34 PM   #10
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I am waiting for the DVD?R/W format. (Look closely there before you think I typed a "minus")