The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 12-18-2003, 06:59 PM   #1
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Konami + Nintendo = Icarus?

First Reported by: Shigeru Miyamoto
Date Started: February 2003
On February 28, 2003, Nintendo?s Shigeru Miyamoto accidentally spilt the beans on a top-secret title being developed in cooperation with Konami?s Hideo Kojima. The information came during an interview with the Italian press, when Miyamoto let it slip that he was working closely with Konami to bring a new episode in the famed ?Tactical Espionage Action? franchise, Metal Gear Solid, to the GameCube.

On May 14, 2003, both game designers stood on Nintendo?s E3 stage and unveiled a remake of the classic PSone Metal Gear Solid title being developed by developer Silicon Knights. One of the first questions on everyone?s mind was whether or not the two game masters would work together again in the near future on another title?

?Nintendo approached Konami with the offer. I had always been a big admirer of Mr. Miyamoto?s work, but in 17 years I had never been able to work with him or work on a Nintendo system.? - Hideo Kojima, Nintendo Power

In recent years, Nintendo has started to ?loan? several of their top rated franchises that they have been unable to work on and ?barrow? a few third party titles. Sega has had the opportunity to create a F-Zero title, Namco is currently producing a Donkey Kong and Star Fox title, and Capcom has been given limited control of the Zelda license. So far, Nintendo has developed a game based on Namco?s Pac-Man and Konami?s Metal Gear, but Konami hasn?t had the liberty of making use of a Nintendo franchise yet.

On March 28th, Miyamoto again allowed a little too much information be reveled about his on going relationship with Mr. Kojima. In an interview with Nintendo?s official French magazine, he announced that Hideo Kojima has another title in the works exclusively for the Cube. We know for a fact that Miyamoto is involved with this title in some way, but to what degree and exactly what game is still a mystery.

?I spoke out of turn I suppose [laughs]. Yeah, we're actually working on a couple of projects with Mr. Kojima--he's working on his new Game Boy Advance project.? - Shigeru Miyamoto, GameSpot.com

Little else is known about this arrangement, but we do know that both companies are eager to work together again soon. On December 12th, IGNcube interviewed Silicon Knight?s president, Denis Dyack, about the status of Twin Snakes. In that interview, Dyack had something rather encouraging to say about Kojima and Miyamoto.

IGNcube: Will there be more Metal Gear titles on Nintendo home consoles?

Denis: Well, I hope so! In our opinion, Kojima-san's group is one of the best in the world and an ongoing relationship between Nintendo and Konami would be a great thing in our opinion. I personally would love to see Socrates (Kojima-san) and Aristotle (Miyamoto-san) continue to work together in the future. This would be good for gamers and good for our industry.

Those familiar with Mr. Dyack?s language and comments from the past will know that some sort of cryptic message is actually being said here. What is it, you ask? I can't say with 100% certainty, so I really feel that I can?t outright tell you what it is. However, I will give you a huge hint. Both Socrates and Aristotle are well known figures of Greek philosophy, and it just so happens that Nintendo has a little known game starring an angel in a land based on Greek mythology?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is from the "Rumor Mill III" section of n-sider.com. Or I have been told.. Enjoy, I had to kill for it.. :kill:

Old 12-18-2003, 07:05 PM   #2
Dead Account 01

I'm affraid I don't see anything worth getting worked up about, there.
Dead Account 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 07:58 PM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
damn I hope so, I love Kid Icarus

awesome fun game to play

plus Nintendo doesn't really say about alot of games till a show like E3 or other convention for videogames, they like keeping the hype up
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:18 PM   #4
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

He's right! You have to read between the lines. It's either
1. A new Kid Icarus game
or
2. A turn based philisophical RPG game where it's the battle of wits. I choose Plato!
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:43 AM   #5
Alucard

None of you are allowed to play it for the constant Konami abuse this place has given!! If you buy any GC Konami game I shall BAN you!!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 02:18 AM   #6
baratus
Elite Bouncer

Quote:
Originally posted by Alucard
None of you are allowed to play it for the constant Konami abuse this place has given!! If you buy any GC Konami game I shall BAN you!!
What Konami GC games?
baratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 02:49 AM   #7
Alucard

Dont make me change your avatar to a giant frog!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 03:38 AM   #8
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Change it to Kirmet the Frog, w00t
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:02 AM   #9
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

OMG I KNEW IT! IT WAS SO OBVIOUS ALL ALONG!

Reality check please, table one!
Kid0_oIcarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 10:18 AM   #10
Nindalf

OMG! Dennis is gay! Miyamoto Aristotle and Kojima Socrates?! Everyone knows Aristotle is just Socrates student's student! KILL HIM!!!
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 10:50 AM   #11
Smurfbert
It's Game over man!

OMG, this rumor is so old, I heard about this already in 1987!
Old 12-19-2003, 11:04 AM   #12
ATMA
Gamer junkie

Nah it was 1981 ....

Anyone remember a teasing poster of Kid Icarus a time ago? It was obviously fake but was very well done. Anyone got a picture of it?
Old 12-19-2003, 11:14 AM   #13
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Quote:
Originally posted by S?r Ninglor
OMG! Dennis is gay! Miyamoto Aristotle and Kojima Socrates?! Everyone knows Aristotle is just Socrates student's student! KILL HIM!!!
:kill:
Old 12-20-2003, 07:29 PM   #14
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

The GC has been out for about two years and I have yet to see one title by Konami that I would consider to be a 'major title', so we have every reason to be dissatisfied with Konami's lack of support for GC. After all, they seem to have no problem developing for PS2, so what gives? And if Konami is working with Nintendo on a Kid Icarus, then they'd better make damn sure they make a great one.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:00 AM   #15
Pilotwings
*can't talk...eating*

konami kid icarus

could it be? i'll believe when i see it.
Pilotwings is offline   Reply With Quote