The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 07:59 AM   #1
jeremy_aerts

New Final Fantasy XII details!

Well...kind of. According to magic box:

In an interview with the Final Fantasy XII developer Yasumi Matsuno, a few new tidbits are revealed about the game:

The game will be in 2 DVDs
Very little love elements in the game
The game style resembles Vagrant Story
Huge world map
Many people will be surprised: "Is this Final Fantasy?"
Tight controls

Sounds very VERY good to me.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:14 AM   #2
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Is anybody else wondering if the reason they need 2 DVDs is because FFXII will have more FMVs than X or X-2?

Either way, Thank GOD they actually stated there will be less love crap and more gameplay a la Vagrant Story, I'm sure that will make a lot of us RPG lovers very excited about FFXII, I know it does for me!!!

Currently PLAYING: Oblivion(PC), Rise of Legends Demo (PC), Commandos 2 (PC)

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Old 11-17-2003, 08:16 AM   #3
jeremy_aerts

I'm not sure...there will obviously be a lot of fmv's though because it's a trademark of final fantasy. (not saying if it's good or bad...it just probably won't change) The new details are quite sweet though. :-)
Old 11-17-2003, 04:29 PM   #4
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

Huge world map is good, as long as you can explore it well. Few love elements is welcomed as the series has been flooded with them for what seems eternity now. I'm not sure how you are going to get "tight controls" with a game like Final Fantasy, or many other RPGs for that matter. There just isn't much to the control department, but whatever. If this is suppose to resemble Vagrant Story then their ****ty characters designs sure threw me off. And 2 DVDs does sound like a load of FMV, pretty sucky if you ask me, but I suppose there is the unlikely case that it is modeled more after Dragon Quest and has 80 of stand alone gameplay. Doubtful.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:44 PM   #5
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Yeah your right those character designs didn't really scream Vagrant Story did they?

World Map is very welcome isn't that half the fun of RPG's wandering around the worlfd map.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:59 PM   #6
Seska

Quote:
Originally posted by Renegade X
Is anybody else wondering if the reason they need 2 DVDs is because FFXII will have more FMVs than X or X-2?

Either way, Thank GOD they actually stated there will be less love crap and more gameplay a la Vagrant Story, I'm sure that will make a lot of us RPG lovers very excited about FFXII, I know it does for me!!!
You know, for a FF game X-2 has very few fmvs. Excluding the intro and outro, probably just about 4 of em. Then again it IS a fairly short game.

Old 11-17-2003, 06:12 PM   #7
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

I'm kinda excited about the "Is this Final Fantasy?" statement and that it's gonna be like Vagrant Story is also a plus.

And yeah I remembered hearing that, but we all know that X-2 was a title mean purely to capitalize on the love a Fan Service thus resulting in the delay of FFXII and other possiblely great RPGs.

Currently PLAYING: Oblivion(PC), Rise of Legends Demo (PC), Commandos 2 (PC)

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Old 11-17-2003, 06:19 PM   #8
Dead Account 01

Yeah, when they say "game style" are they referring to gameplay or visual style?

Aside from that question mark, it all sounds good.

And yes, I'm sure we'll be getting more CGI films. I have no problem with that as I'm sure S-E's ever growing CGI films studio needs something to do
Old 11-17-2003, 06:23 PM   #9
Cobi*
renegade

Quote:
* Many people will be surprised: "Is this Final Fantasy?"
I don't know about you guys but, I was already asking myself "is this Final Fantasy?" when I saw FFXI, FFX-2, FF:CC and all the Final Fantasy Tactics games =\

The 19th is only two days away... we'll see Matsuno. I love Final Fantasy and I want part 12 to be the, "best game ever," but I'll be surprised if the game really does end up being as different as they say it will...
Old 11-17-2003, 07:15 PM   #10
GameStarr
The Killer Within

Hmmmm now here is an interesting theory...

The game style resembles Vagrant Story
"...there will obviously be a lot of fmv's though because it's a trademark of final fantasy" - jeremy
Many people will be surprised: "Is this Final Fantasy?"

Link these three things together: The common perception of FF is that you can expect CG's to be beautiful and plentiful. In VS, as far as I remember hearing there were NO CG movies, all gameplay. (Though it is called one of Square's most cinematic games) They have said that people will be suprised that this is FF... What if, the way that FFXII suprised people and the way that it was like Vagrant Story game style (notice they didn't say gamePLAY wise) in that it HAD NO CGs? Would this not make you wonder whether or not it is a FF game? Of course, this is all theory and I just wanted to share this with yall.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:57 PM   #11
Dead Account 01

You know Gamestarr, I seem to recall reading in an interview that FFXII would have no CGI films. That said, I can't believe it. Wouldn't be 2 DVDs otherwise, and unless they make the gameplay as awesome as FFT, there will be no point playing (er...watching) it.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:00 PM   #12
GameStarr
The Killer Within

I wouldn't dismiss it yet, but you do have to wonder what it could be if there are 2 DVDs... I can't even come up with theories of what it could be... But for some reason, that was just too easy of a theory to develop. I also wouldn't mind it being true.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:05 PM   #13
Seska

Unless they make the game 120 hours long, I dont see it going on 2 dvds with scenes in real time.

Wait, scratch that. Suikoden 3 was about 120 hours long with scenes in real timea nd it was one dvd. :p

Old 11-17-2003, 10:17 PM   #14
GameStarr
The Killer Within

lol lol

That reminds me, couldn't they just do a dual layer DVD a la Xenosaga? Two dvds seems wasteful when they could just do that.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:19 PM   #15
Seska

OR maybe it will be on 2 dual layer dvds! Oho!

Closed Thread