The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 10-21-2003, 01:11 PM   #1
Nindalf

IGN Acquires TeamXbox!

Quote:
IGN Entertainment Acquires TeamXbox Website; The Acquisition Creates Largest Xbox Online Community

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 21, 2003--IGN Entertainment -- home to IGN.com(R), the web's largest gaming and entertainment destination with over 10.5 million unique monthly visitors -- today announced the purchase of the TeamXbox.com, one of the world's largest Xbox-only sites. The acquisition, which further solidifies IGN's position as the leading online destination for gamers, allows IGN to provide the most complete Xbox coverage online.
"We are very excited to welcome TeamXbox into the IGN family," said Mark Jung, CEO, IGN Entertainment. "As one of the largest independent sites totally dedicated to Xbox, TeamXbox is the Xbox thought leader with a wealth of original content and a strong, loyal community. Combined with our own Xbox offering, the TeamXbox acquisition makes IGN Entertainment the obvious choice for marketers trying to reach the Xbox enthusiast."

TeamXbox will continue to deliver quality information as well daily features such as up-to-the-minute gaming news and weekly "Xbox on the Net" that wraps up everything Xbox covered by other sites. TeamXbox averages over a half million unique visitors per month and is the "official" game forum for over 15 Xbox titles.

"IGN Entertainment is the premier online videogame content destination, and TeamXbox is devoted to providing the most comprehensive Xbox specific information on the net," said Brent Soboleski, Creative Director of TeamXbox. "IGN brings tremendous assets to the partnership and together we aim to build the ultimate online presence for the entire Xbox community -- including Xbox gamers and Xbox publishers."

About IGN Entertainment

IGN Entertainment, through its flagship network IGN.com, is the Internet's leading information and entertainment destination for teen and young adult gamers. IGN serves its audience by providing both free and subscription-based content and services. IGN's award winning content -- two Webby People's Voice Awards and two Wired Magazine's Readers Raves Awards -- attracts more than 10.5 million unique visitors a month, including over 5.8 million registered users and more than 80,000 paying subscribers. IGN offers its business customers a full spectrum of integrated marketing solutions to reach this large web-centric audience. These products include fixed placement and impression-based advertising, sponsorships, permission marketing, custom publishing, e-commerce, direct e-mail marketing and content licensing. For more information, please visit http://www.ign.com.
Linky!(Put IGN as search word)

Hehe...
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 02:39 PM   #2
DBJAY

Well, that's unfortunate.

All I can hope is that the site owners got a decent financial sum for their work.

Funny that IGN, with all their resources, couldn't design a site with better content than an independent site.

I bet the videos, pics, reviews all go "insider" / pay now.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 05:22 PM   #3
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Yay! Crap and carp will make better crap. Or a bigger pile.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:26 PM   #4
Zod
All hail the hypno-toad!!

Now that IGN has an invested financial interest in that site, I see unfavorable treatment towards PS2 and X-Box.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:17 PM   #5
Nindalf

Quote:
Originally posted by DBJAY

Funny that IGN, with all their resources, couldn't design a site with better content than an independent site.

Funny, that reminds me of MS's strategy. :D
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 06:37 PM   #6
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Quote:
Originally posted by N?n-in-Eilph
Funny, that reminds me of MS's strategy.
Hehe...that was pretty good Nin...made me chuckle.

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation,
The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 04:19 AM   #7
Alucard

gah.. It was only 2-3 years ago when IGN were crying about lack of funds and alot of us had our fingers crossed that they wouldn't last the year. Thankfully to all the people who pay insider fees, they seem rich enough to buy other places now. Harruh. IGN is the cockroach of gaming.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 06:35 AM   #8
Zod
All hail the hypno-toad!!

IGN trades on the stock market now, making them the corporate wh*re of gaming news sites. I expect this is the first step at consolidating net sites for them.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:29 AM   #9
GAMBIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Reality
Yay! Crap and carp will make better crap. Or a bigger pile.

That pie will taste like crap too.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:20 AM   #10
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Alucard - "gah.. It was only 2-3 years ago when IGN were crying about lack of funds and alot of us had our fingers crossed that they wouldn't last the year. Thankfully to all the people who pay insider fees, they seem rich enough to buy other places now. Harruh. IGN is the cockroach of gaming."

------------------

It's what I've said many times before; they're a bunch of greedy liars. They get MILLIONS in advertising revenue, not to mention all the promotional offers, being paid off by game developers for higher ratings and more hype, etc. They figured they could scam the online community into fattening their already-fat pockets but I'm proud to say I'll never do such a thing for a bunch of rotten losers. What do they offer that I cannot figure out for myself just by subscribing to a game magazine or, get this, buying the games? They, in fact, ruin games by putting up 50 videos so that by the time you actually play it it's not as impressive as it would/could be. That's why I watch maybe one or two game trailers online for a game I'm really interested in and that's it, and that's considering I even want to (sometimes I prefer not to see it in motion until it's mine-all-mine).

I could go on slamming IGN for the jip they are but I'd rather not waste my time. Beware that they don't try and acquire MagicBox. Egads!

Last edited by Icarus4578; 10-22-2003 at 08:26 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 11:00 AM   #11
DBJAY

Except that there is no such thing as a "independent" hardware company. They all are corporations, and in the case of Sony & MS, massive corporations. Really not into the whole cheerleading for a corporation vs. another corporation.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote