The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 09-23-2003, 11:59 AM   #1
Investor27
Legend

What's your favorite game's opening sequence?

Let's have one vote for FMV/CGI opening movie and one for using the game engine for it's opening sequence.

Mine would have to be Suikoden 3 and Zone of Enders 2 respectively. Although Metal Gear Solid 2's intro was pretty nice as well.

Last edited by Investor27; 09-23-2003 at 06:43 PM.
Investor27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 12:49 PM   #2
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

FMV/Anime . . . Wild Arms 1 (gotta love the music aswell)

In-game footage erm... I'll get back to ya.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 01:42 PM   #3
Robo Halloween
Banned

• FF8: "Ghraaaaaaa!! Seifer, you broke my emo cool and got my attention!! Now you must die!!" "I melt you down, dog!!"
  • Silent Hill 2: considering how the rest of the story plays out, this is really excellent.
  • RE CODE Veronica: "Why didn't I direct The Matrix!?" - lamented Mikami in his dark fortress, disgusted at the failure of PN 03.
Robo Halloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 02:10 PM   #4
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

A few of my favorites are: King of Fighters '98, Last Blade 2, Super Mario Brothers 3, Final Fantasy 6 (the march into town), Nights, Sonic Adventure, and Soul Calibur 2 (home version intro, mostly the Gamecube or X-box ones, as Heihachi looks stupid). I would have Chrono Cross on the list, but the only reason I watch the intro so often is because of the score. If I had the OST I wouldn't bother.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:29 PM   #5
Black Sugar
put some sugar on top...

Quote:
Originally posted by IoriYagami n8
A few of my favorites are: King of Fighters '98, Last Blade 2, Super Mario Brothers 3, Final Fantasy 6 (the march into town), Nights, Sonic Adventure, and Soul Calibur 2 (home version intro, mostly the Gamecube or X-box ones, as Heihachi looks stupid). I would have Chrono Cross on the list, but the only reason I watch the intro so often is because of the score. If I had the OST I wouldn't bother.
You loved Soul Calibur 2 intro ?! This got to be one of the worst animated model i've seen by Namco since a long time.

Personal fav; Final Fantasy VIII
Black Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 04:55 PM   #6
DeathStroke
Lone Wolf

Soul Edge's opening intro is my favorite. Tekken 2 and then 3 also rank up there.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:58 PM   #7
Pilotwings
*can't talk...eating*

zelda link to the past... loved the theme and story telling, with really cool art pictures.
Pilotwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 06:01 PM   #8
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Lets see, some of my favorites are: FFVIII, Chrono Cross/ Trigger, Kingdom Hearts, FFIX, And Legend of Dragoon.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:38 PM   #9
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The original Soul Edge/Soul Blade/whatever the hell it's called had a great opening. It was fast paced and had great music and in turn was fun to watch. The opening for Soul Calibur 2 is boring and lacks rhythm. It gets going and comes to a grinding halt with spanish guitar (I think they are introducing Rapheal... the sequence where the girl in the alley points in some direction). The music is not good and it's not fun to watch. The Dreamcast Soul Calibur kicked its ass with a system-powered intro, great music, and no break in the action. Being powered by the system and not lame-FMV shows off the power of the Dreamcast. The game had absolutely no FMV, so automatically it gets props from me. Plus you can even change the intro to include specific characters at certain points... any way you like it.

Sonic CD (Japanese) had a great intro with a fun song. I could watch that a few times in a row and not get bored. The intro on the US Sonic CD was the same, but had that "Sonic Boom" song and it just wasn't very energetic and did not really fit with the FMV animation.

The intro for Y's Book 1 and 2 for the TG16 CD-ROM is still one of my favorites. It was the first CD opening I ever saw, and has amazing music and incredible voice acting.

Chuck Rock 2: Son of Chuck for the Sega CD also had a great opening, with an animated cartoon (not FMV) that went on and on, was funny and enjoyable to watch. Crappy game, though.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:17 AM   #10
vherub
filasofer

Both Guardian Heroes and Burning Rangers had quality anime intros

and i was always fond of the ninja gaiden opening- thinking about it, arcade games usually had cool intros/teasers to suck you into the game and steal your quarters
Old 09-24-2003, 11:50 AM   #11
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Bahamut
You loved Soul Calibur 2 intro ?! This got to be one of the worst animated model i've seen by Namco since a long time.

Personal fav; Final Fantasy VIII
Who said love? There are few things in this world that I love. You find the models lacking, that's all fine and good. I just enjoyed the score and some of the sequences. No big deal. I was fairly unimpressed with Final Fantasy VIII myself. But hey, to each his own. If I can enjoy the Mario Brothers 3 intro, do you think I would be worried about character models?
Old 09-24-2003, 04:07 PM   #12
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
the Opening to Getter Robo Daikessen for PS1

all anime, showing off all the Getter Robos in the series, like Getter 1 fighting a Mechasaurus and chopping it in half with its Getter Tomahawk

w00t awesome
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 04:28 PM   #13
camac
I feel so good.

Kingdom hearts intro if you count the whole dream sequence, when his shadow turned into a giant heartless, that was badass.

Onimusha 2's intro, both parts the demons destroying the village and then the second part with the artsy backgrounds those were so kewl.

the beginning of FF9, where you get to be on stage and stuff, classic.

FF6 the terras theme played while walking towards town in the magitek armor. i remeber the first time i saw that i was like :yikes:

MMX2 and 3's intros levels never get old either the only time in the megaman series when you don't feel like the only one after the mavericks. lol of course after the first few moments and the actual level starts its back to being X all alone. but still, i like how they plunge you into the action like that.
camac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 05:06 PM   #14
Nem
Smash bro!

Best intro for me is "Suikoden 3", it gave me shivers of enjoyment throughout my spine!

On the games engine ireally cant remember any but MGS2, it really showed the game graphical power!
Old 09-24-2003, 06:42 PM   #15
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Soul Edge had the best intro in terms of FMV. (Unlike Joe Redifer I happen to love FMV intros. I don't need to see system power in the intro I'd rather see it in the game ) It also had the best theme song. Very cool.

I also love the intro to Dracula X for the Turbo DUO/GrafxCD. I can't understand a word of what they are saying but the German sounds awesome.

Also a fan of the Ys 1 & 2 intro. Great voices and music to boot.

more to come.............
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote