The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-30-2003, 12:30 AM   #76
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

What is the difference of pro and ultra?

And I think I will just spend some money and get a 5900 or 9800 which of these do you two recommend?

How much better is the pro/ultra than the normal version of that graphics card?
Old 09-30-2003, 01:21 AM   #77
Alucard

The non pro/ultra versions run at a lower clock speed. You'll be getting 10-20fps less then you would with the other version. Or something like that. And the 9800 pro is the better card compared to 5900ultra. Cheaper too I think.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 05:33 AM   #78
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

which brands are better, for both Nvidia and ATI?
Old 09-30-2003, 06:23 AM   #79
Seska

Not too sure how it goes with ATI (as I havent ever had a ATI card) but at least with Nvidia and their GF4 series it didnt matter what brand you took, since msot were around the same price, same performance. Only thing different was the design of the heatsink and fans. Winfast usually have the best Heatsinks, I think their Geforce FX is casically one huge chunk of metal. In a way its good cause you know your card will be cool, and in another its abd, ebcause it makes the heatsink extremely ahrd to replace if the fans break down, which at some point in time, they will.

I got a chaintech GF4 4600ti, and after 5 months the fan broke down. I replaced it with a CLabs heatsink I got for 3 bucks on eBay adn it works like a charm.

So when you choose your card take in mind if disassembling the heatsink it carries is going to be much of a problem for you or not in case of a breakdown.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:32 AM   #80
Alucard

That link Makeru gave shows the good brands. But personally if you're gonna buy an FX card then it should be either Leadtek or MSI. They are the only two would choose. Though I was a little surprised to see Powercolour as a bad brand on that list for ATI. I like that brand. Otherwise Sapphire is gorgeous.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:20 AM   #81
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Are these video cards the same? one says: VTD128, and the other just says TD128.

And Would these be easy to replace the fan or heatsink thingy Seska?

http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_v...idproduct=1333

http://www.accupc.com/itemDetail.jsp...r=PriceGrabber

They look the same at least.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:39 AM   #82
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

The new Radeon.

http://www.gamespy.com/hardware/october03/radeon/
Old 10-01-2003, 05:37 AM   #83
Alucard

They seem to be the same card to me.. And if you buy a very good brand then you wont have the problem Seska had. MSI and Leadtek are two cards you wont be finding fan problems with.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:52 AM   #84
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I need a new CPU fan so I guess I'll ask for recommendations here. I am running a 1.4 Ghz AMD. It is the AMD chip that runs a bit cooler than others that ran too hot, if that makes a difference. My current fan is a Dragon Orb and damn it is LOUD! WAAAAYYYY too loud. Plus I don't feel it keeps the CPU adequately cooled. Does anyone know of a good fan I can get (preferably at a local store) that would be quieter and keep my CPU cool at the same time?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 02:55 PM   #85
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

If you?re going to buy a graphics card, maybe you should wait for this deal to happen.
Quote:
An anonymous reader writes "The Inquirer has a recent article on the launch of ATI's Radeon 9800 XT and 9600 XT, happening tonight at Alcatraz." In fact, there's now a press release announcing that "...customers purchasing ATI's Radeon 9800 XT and 9600 XT will also get a free copy of Half-Life 2 when the game ships", whenever that is, and confirming the price of the 9800 at $499, and the 9600 at "under $200."
http://gamerankings.com/itemrankings...?newsid=134040

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 04:32 PM   #86
Alucard

Joe, check back on the previous page for fan recomendation. Plus check what your motherboard can support. If it can't go past 2gig then its probably time to buy a new board. And that info will be in this thread too.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:40 PM   #87
Seska

Spaceman, that heatsink should be easy to replace. See those black pins? They hold the whole thing to the card through a series of holes in the card itself, you pinch them at the other side and push them through and out of the holes.

As for MSI being a quality brand, I'm not too sure about that, at least in the GF4 series their heatsinks were reviewed as the only ones not quite complying to Nvidias heatsink standard, this not being quite as effective.

Not sure if they ahve improved in current gen chipsets, I never really bothered reading recent reviews. One brand you cant go wrong with is Leadtek though, in that Ill agree with Alucard. Oh, and stay away from PNY.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:45 PM   #88
sin75

What PC surround sound speakers brand do you guys own/recommend?
sin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 09:31 PM   #89
Mikeru83
Member Ver. 2.03

Personally, in my opinion, for games, I like to play with headphones on. Ones that enclose your ears and block out sound are great and really help your performance in competitive games like Counter-Strike.

But for general music and video playback, I rely on my old AIWA SC-C57 speakers with subwoofer to fill my room with sound.

The 9800XT for $500? Seeing something listed at that price makes me gag. On the other hand, the 9600XT seems too good to be true. $200 with a free copy of HL2? Whoa...

Quote:
VTD128, and the other just says TD128
The VTD128 has Video-In/Video-Out (VIVO).
The TD128 has Video-Out only. (Same thing as TV-Out.)

Last edited by Mikeru83; 10-01-2003 at 09:41 PM.
Mikeru83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 01:47 AM   #90
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

ok. I dont get it. This site lists both of those graphic cards, but one is more expensive. What is the difference?
http://www.accupc.com/itemDetail.jsp?pid=VMSFX5900TD128
http://www.accupc.com/itemDetail.jsp?pid=VMSFX59VTD128