The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 09-03-2003, 10:41 AM   #1
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Take-Two Interactive go shopping...

I believe Take-Two share the same belief as Microsoft buy everything they can...next in line is TDK Mediactive (Robotech, Conan, Darkened Skye, Outlaw Golf/Vollayball)

http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=5317

While all but Robotech are pretty crappy I'm sure they'll do better stuff at Take2 but then again. . .

Last edited by Escaflowne2001; 09-03-2003 at 10:52 AM.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 11:07 AM   #2
Zod
All hail the hypno-toad!!

Crying

I think consolidation of this industry is a bad thing, and am saddened by the news of one less developer out there in exchange for one bigger one.
Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 11:09 AM   #3
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Yep, but games cost to much to make now and without having lots of successes the company just can't survive on there own.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:16 AM   #4
Zod

A lot of them can survive, but they spend so much money on 3rd-party licenses (like movie and sports licenses) that it hyper-inflates the costs of making games. Others just make dumb mistakes that lose huge amounts of money (like Square's Final Fantasy movie).

Consolidation happens in every industry, and it was bound to happen in the gaming industry, as some fish got a bit hungrier than other fish, and decided to cannibalize the other fish so they cann get bigger. Consolidation reduces competition since when a company merges or buys out another, it does effectively eliminate the other as a competitor, and in other industries, gives the customers poorer-quality stuff at higher prices.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:26 AM   #5
DBJAY

Within a few years, we might see less than 10 publishers predicting the course of gaming. Imo, the next "independent" to fall will be Midway or Acclaim. In the future, imo the major publishers will be EA, MS, Sony, Nintendo, Ubisoft, THQ, Activision, Konami, Square/Enix, Take Two.

I beleive there might be a consolidation between between a few of the major japanese houses, such as the oft rumored Namco/Sega/Capcom merger.

With NBC in talks with taking over the Vivendi Universal assets, who knows what will happen to people like Sierra, Valve, etc.

Of course I would prefer for their to be more variety of publishers out there to keep the competition high, but as games get more expensive to develop I can see why companies will be interested in more joint ventures.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 11:34 AM   #6
Zod

I agree completely, and think it's sad to see developers disappear in favor of the size of the ones left. I especially agree about the Capcom one, and don't think they'll be around as an indie company for much longer. They're food for the other fish now after a string of mediocre-selling games.

I too saw a report on NBC's interest in Vivendi's entertainment assets. it should be interesting since NBC is partnered with MS for the MS/NBC network, which could throw Vivendi's assets indirectly MS's favor without MS having to actually pay for them.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:41 AM   #7
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

I agree I think Acclaim and Midways days are numbered shame really Acclaim use to be one of the better ones.

As for the future I think it's stuff to say Namco, UBI Soft, Atari, Konami, Activision, SquareEnix, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Take-Two, EA will all be around for a while.

I'd love to say Capcom but they've been having money troubles and alot of there games aren't doing to hot across all platforms. same as SEGA I think they'll be some more merging going on soon like the Squaresoft/Enix merger that's just my opinion.

As for Vivendi there near bankrupty last I heard I believe MS will end up with Blizzard/Sierra they were interested before but they wanted to much as they get more desperate the price will go down I believe.

Old 09-03-2003, 04:49 PM   #8
gearhound1
Banned

SEGA is kicking ASS! what are you talking about? they have made a huge profit over the past year.
gearhound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 05:28 PM   #9
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Well I didn't mean to put them together but let's face it they aren't as good as they used to be.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:24 PM   #10
Pilotwings
*can't talk...eating*

Quote:
Originally posted by Escaflowne2001
I agree I think Acclaim and Midways days are numbered shame really Acclaim use to be one of the better ones.

As for the future I think it's stuff to say Namco, UBI Soft, Atari, Konami, Activision, SquareEnix, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Take-Two, EA will all be around for a while.

I'd love to say Capcom but they've been having money troubles and alot of there games aren't doing to hot across all platforms. same as SEGA I think they'll be some more merging going on soon like the Squaresoft/Enix merger that's just my opinion.

As for Vivendi there near bankrupty last I heard I believe MS will end up with Blizzard/Sierra they were interested before but they wanted to much as they get more desperate the price will go down I believe.

what do you mean by "be around for a while"?

capcom doesn't have any money troubles, no debts. it just that they aren't making a huge ammounts of money.
Pilotwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 06:03 AM   #11
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Check the news archieve at Gamespot they were in the Red couple months back when DMC2/BoF5/PN03 all under proformed.

As for around for a while, I mean they'll be around for years to come unless merging gets underway the gaming business is unpredictible in Japan.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:03 AM   #12
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Check the news archieve at Gamespot they were in the Red couple months back when DMC2/BoF5/PN03 all under proformed.

As for around for a while, I mean they'll be around for years to come unless merging gets underway the gaming business is unpredictible in Japan.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:03 AM   #13
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...