The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

View Poll Results: Will you buy The Two Towers on DVD or VHS?
I?ll buy it for VHS 0 0%
I?ll get it for DVD 5 33.33%
I?ll wait for the special edition DVD(Or whatever its called) 7 46.67%
I wont buy such foul fiends! Rent at best. 2 13.33%
Im a LOTR addict, and going to buy more than 1 of those. 1 6.67%
I will buy all of them ?cuz I have no life. 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2003, 01:26 PM   #1
Nindalf

Will you buy LOTR: The Two Towers on DVD or VHS?

This forum is too quiet, so I decided to make a stupid poll.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 03:12 PM   #2
Alucard

Thats right, I'm up for the special edition cause I'm SMART!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 04:15 PM   #3
Pilotwings
*can't talk...eating*

Re: Will you buy LOTR: The Two Towers on DVD or VHS?

Quote:
Originally posted by N?n-in-Eilph
This forum is too quiet, so I decided to make a stupid poll.
not a fan of the trilogy. i'll rent it.
Pilotwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 01:53 AM   #4
Alucard

Why bother if you dont think much of it? I can see a Star Wars fan a mile away!!
Old 08-25-2003, 04:47 AM   #5
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I won't rent it, but I'll maybe borrow it from someone. I like to listen to the (very well mixed) sound. As for the movie itself, whoopdee doo.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:18 AM   #6
Alucard

So go buy the CD soundtrack or download it off the net. Theres better ways to listen to a score without sitting through a film you find below average. Thats just stupid. If you watch it then you like it.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:29 AM   #7
Seska

You'll have to excuse Alucard, he's a bit of a slobbering fanboy when it comes to LotR.

1. - Joe said SOUND, not music. Ill have to agree, listening to it in surround is a treat. As for the music itself, eh, its the same kinda stuff from LotR1, nice, but not the sole reason to watch the DVD for. I actually preferred Enya's song to Gollum's ending theme.

2. You dont always watch a movie cause you like it. Ive watched plenty of movies cause I had nothing better to do and its a good way to whittle away an afternoon with friends. TTT is a decent movie, I think if somene says they are going to rent/borrow it, its not cause they hate it.

Chill.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:40 AM   #8
Alucard

Oh sure. People sometimes watch movies to pass the time, movies they dont find too amazing. But generally these movies are an hour and a half. Two Towers is 3 hours, and the extended version will be very close to 4hours. You do not sit through a 3hour film AGAIN if you consider it to be semi to below average. Thats alot of time that can be spent doing something else. How many 3hour films have the majority of you watched more then once that you thought was kinda bleah?

You dont need to be a fanboy to respect a film and the grounds it came from. But also disrespecting something like LOTR is something people do who are in 3 categories. 1>Star Wars fans, 2> Critics and people who like to go against the grain and find movies that are hugely popular to be 'not alternative' enough. 3>Just dont really go for that sort of film.

Usually the 3 class will not sit through a 3hour film more then once if they didn't really enjoy it. So to sit through one means you did enjoy it on some level. You can go ahead and call me a fanboy, but the story is a classic and shouldn't be mocked or put down for little reasons.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:51 AM   #9
Seska

Id certainly love for you to point out where anyone of the posters here have said the film is crap. If you consider "whoopdedoo" as such, wow, someone sure touched your fanboy nerves to get you riled up about not much at all.

And who says people who will watch TTT by renting/borrowing it will watch all three hours of it? I sat through FotR twice in the cinema and that was enough. But I still rented the extended DVD for the extra scenes and to replay some of the scenes in the movie I liked best. Thats what chapters are for, you know?

When making statements like "the story is a classic and shouldn't be mocked or put down for little reasons" you always have to take in mind that there are people who do not share your preferences or do not like fantasy - one of your listed categories.

As undenieably great as the original LotR is, I bet theres millions of fans of non-fiction and fiction in the world who dont like it at all because fantasy just isnt their cup of tea. So you cant expect people who arent huge fans of something to respect it, but for the movie's great special effects, sound and cinematography Im sure many non-fans want to watch the scenes that appeal to them.

The English Patient and Ghandi are classic movies, but a bunch of people find them a terible bore. Its not disrespect. Its just personal preference, and you have to live with people having a different opinion from yours.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:14 AM   #10
Alucard

Yes, labelling something as whoopdedoo shows a complete lack of affection for whatever is being described like that. It shows dissinterest. And as I mentioned before, its a 3hour film, not your run of the mill short film.

You watched it in the cinema twice shows you enjoyed it enough, but also the atmosphere of watching a special effects film on the big screen with the added sound system there is alot more immersive and enjoyable then watching it at home on a TV set. You dont mention about watching the normal version again at home. I'll assume you waited till the special edition came out so you could watch the extra scenes. Thats much different to watching the normal version 'again' on your tv. But then again I'm sure you didn't walk out of the cinema after watching it the first time and then comment some half worded reply and shrugged when a friend asked you what you thought of it. Otherwise you wouldn't have spent the extra money to go back into the theatre.

I can fully respect others opinions, its when one voices an opinion on anothers and then is labelled a 'fanboy', not once but twice in succession, can point out how respect is also ignored by name calling.

Not everyone has to like fantasy or sci-fi or romance or whatever else. But theres always a certain exception here and there. As for Fantasy, LOTR should be that exception. Its not JUST a movie. The story took decades to complete. It has a huge cult like fanbase all over the world. A language was made from it. Practically the entire fantasy theme came from it as we know it, with Tolkiens vision of how Dwarves and Elves and halflings and orcs and many other things all interact and are. D&D was spawned directly from it, as were alot of games and books and movies <Star Wars to name one> since then. He's written books on the history of the LOTR universe. All this from the mind of 1 person.

You can go ahead and childishly call me a 'fanboy' for the third time, but I call it showing respect to an amazing man. A proper fanboy wouldn't give you the time of day in trying to argue his point because he knows better. I dont. I'm just voicing my thoughts on the matter. Btw, the total of the 3 LOTR movies took just over 100mill to make. Thats a 3rd of what 1 of the new Star Wars movies took to do. Bloody amazing what they could pull off with such little money. I'm probably not too accurate with that sum of money, but I dont feel like looking it up.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:57 AM   #11
Seska

Why you take it out on me, god only knows. I think I mentioned I liked the movie. But I also like to respect people's tastes and opinions. I dont calll someone stupid because they say that they are going to borrow the DVD to listen to the sound, and dont tell them to download the soundtrack off the net. That is being immature and yes, its a typical reaction a fanboy who cant stand that someone calls his belived movie "whoopdedoo".

I called you a fanboy because you are WAY overreacting and WAY out of place. So they dont like the move but want to watch it for sound/scenes/whatever. Normal person woudln't care but you seem to get irate because of it and go out of your way to point out their "stupidity" which isnt that - its just their preference.

Yes, Tolkien was an amazing man, but so was Homer (not Simpson :p). Yet if someone were to mock The Iliad I am sure you woudlnt be as enthusiastic in arguing why they don't show Homer the proper respect or such a masterpiece, would you?

It all comes down to what I said in my initial post: Chill out.

And Starwas wasnt spawned by LotR. Where did you get that from? Its a scifi ripoff from Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. And lets not get into the "fantasy spawned sci-fi" argument, for just as scifi might have been inspired by fantasy, Tolkien was probably more than sufficiently inspired by mythological works like The Iliad.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:13 AM   #12
Nindalf

You lot cant agree on anything...

Anyhow, there is this promotion thigy, most likely all over EU, probably in US too, that when yo pre order it you get this power ring, crappy one, plastic and damn ugly.(I got one when I pre ordered the Fellowship) For some reason they only give it if you take the VHS, so I figured I?ll pre order the VHS, and then buy the special DVD, so I can watch LotR: The Two Towers on 2 TVs! I?m just too smart!
Old 08-25-2003, 10:32 AM   #13
Alucard

Again you mention the word fanboy. Funny how you can say this so many times, yet if such talk was mentioned in the console part of the forum then there would be warnings. Somehow a simple console deserves more respect a classic story such as this one. Impressove.

Also I was not taking it out on you. None of what I said are directly pointed at you. I dont call you an idiot for watching key scenes in the DVD, if you did or didn't. I was just replying to what you said. Though calling me a fanboy multiple times usually is a pretty good way to get me agitated. I didn't call anyone stupid for not liking the movie or the music or whatever. I said if you're prepared to sit through it more then once, a film more then 3hours long that is, one can't exactly think of it as 'whoopdedoo'. I believe it was just a poor way to describe what someone may or may NOT think of the film/story and was attempting to see what he really thought of it. I never said one MUST love it or else. I merely replied that perhaps a little more respect towards it would be nice. Fair go if that respect is ignored. I'm not out to tell you how you should think, just giving my THOUGHTS on it. Little did I know that giving thoughts on a matter labelled you a fanboy.

And if someone doesn't really like a film, how about you tell me the chances of that person buying the CD soundtrack, especially when it isn't filled with tripe like Eminem or Back street boys etc. Most people on the net have downloaded music. Its a simple everyday fact so me saying it is not out of place. I own both the soundtracks so I really could care less if someone downloaded or bought it. Its a great soundtrack, but no doubt within a year or two there will be better tracks made in another movie/game/musical. The LOTR univserse however has not been matched since it was written. One of the best selling stories, and also one of the few with an immense amount of depth. Though to fully enjoy the LOTR universe you would need to read the history of it. Thats where the juicy stuff really is. Like 1 guy fighting 8 Balrogs for example. Very juicy stuff. If they were to make the Silmarillion into a movie, I think people would just die at the prospect. I would love to see it. Would definately be by far the best visual and narrative piece of film ever. And before you jump ahead of yourself no, I dont think LOTR is the best movie ever made.

And please, I would prefer you didn't try to lecture and educate me with witty references on the differences between The Iliad and The Simpsons. My background is Greek. I shouldn't need to say more. And yes, Homer DOES deserve respect for the tale he wrote. But to be honest I doubt too many people even know of the story. And I refer to a specific age bracket ofcourse..

And the Star Wars thing, I wasn't saying that elves somehow inspired space craft. I'm talking about characters/story. Some things from Star Wars was influenced from the LOTR series. Even Lucas has admitted he, like MANY authors/story tellers, were inspired by Tolkien. Theres a few articles here and there that try to point out the similarities between the two. Even the new films Lucas made have lynched stuff from the LOTR movies. Ofcourse fans of either series have argued and compared and neither see eye to eye. Obviously Tolkien got ideas from other sources. He never invented magic or dwarves or elves. The thing is its what he made of them. Practically ever fantasy book since has taken on the likeness of Tolkiens stories. The elves, halflings, dwarves, all have the same manner as what Tolkien wrote. He practically gave them substance and a template for the rest to go from. Someone THAT influential deserves something, I would expect.

But like I said before, I'm not trying to force my views onto others. I'm not pointedly yelling and throwing names back and forth and trying to be demeaning. I'm just voicing a few thoughts at something that struck me. To be honest, alot of people who have seen the film really dont know much about the history behind it. Usually the more you learn about something, the more you appreciate it. Usually. And hopefully in some part of my basic examples that I give, perhaps I may have intrigued someone to look more into it, perhaps discover more of the history behind it and get a newfound respect/joy for it. Ofcourse they can also shrug their shoulders and say 'WUT EVAR STUPID FANBOY!11!1 OMG WTF LOL', and I wont be replying. We all have our own minds. We dont need to be puppets of others way of thinking. However I do feel I can respond to something once. The only one doing the attacking so far is you Seska. Noones called anyone names, except..
Old 08-25-2003, 10:50 AM   #14
Seska

It is YOU calling people names, STUPID for watching a movie for the sound or music. I know plenty peole who think HEAT is a dull movie but love it for the sound it delivers on DVD and home entertainment systems. That is what gets on my case. And I dont know about you, but I dont certainly attack people on this forum or any other board for labelling somoene as a fanboy.

Its an ugly name, perhaps, but some people simply are fanboys of a certain thing, and thats just how it is. I am a Robin Hobb fanboy, and I dont really mind admitting at I am. NiN is a self-admitted Nintendo fanboy, and hes fine with that. At least it lets me know that I wont go anywhere arguing with him about the quality of Mario games and Zelda and the like. Unlike you, at least we are not in denial.

I really must have hit a sore nerve, I wasnt trying to lecture you at all, but I guess my feeble attempt of Simpson humor is lost on you. No more humor for you!

As for Starwars having themes and characters inspired on Tolkien, Id really like you to show me these articles and comparisons, Id be interested to read them, for as it stands now the Starwars theme is universal - rebellion agaisnt an opressive regime, magic (force), good and evil, the characters are so simple and one-dimensional that the same story could be told in medieval, pre-Tolkien times.

Giving your thoughts on something is fine. Saying someone is stupid for watching a movie for a reason other than the one you would choose, thats just narrowminded.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:00 AM   #15
Nindalf

Im also a LOTR Fanboy. And Discworld Fanboy. Its a shock, but I am.