The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 06-15-2002, 04:23 AM   #1
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

.JPG Virus Warning

Quote:
CNN:
McAfee anti-virus researchers have discovered a frightening new virus known as ?Perrun.? The virus itself is what is known as a ?proof-of-concept virus? and as such does not actually do anything harmful.

The thing that is worrying virus experts is the fact that the virus seems able to attach itself to JPG image files which were previously thought to be impervious to virus attack.

JPG image files are very common on the web, and virus experts warn that it is only a matter of time before a more dangerous version of Perrun is released.
-More Info.

Your Thoughts?

We seem to have juxtaposed an impasse here.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 11:39 AM   #2
Rubeus

So you mean browsing a site with JPG graphics are not safe anymore? Or you are just talking about receiving JPGs by emails?
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 03:02 PM   #3
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

Soon

Quote:
Rebeus:
So you mean browsing a site with JPG graphics are not safe anymore? Or you are just talking about receiving JPGs by emails?
Right now, it's safe to go to sites with .JPG's. But eventually, a stronger version of the virus will come out. And it will spread to sites that have .JPG's. So then, it won't be safe. But it's still really to early to tell the full extend of the virus.

Old 06-17-2002, 04:51 AM   #4
Alucard

http://features.slashdot.org/feature....shtml?tid=166

I wouldn't worry too much. Seems to be just hype and stuff from the virus program companies to sell more stuff.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 04:58 AM   #5
Seska

To those who can't be bothered to read through the article, it boils down to this:

To be affected by so-called jpg viruses, your PC needs to ALREADY be infected by a virus that will decode the virus in the jpg files. And THAT virus has to "sneak" into your system through the common, executable way.

So, to get infected by jpg viruses, you have to be already infected.

Woo.

I, personally, don't use McAffee, Symantec or any bloody antivurus on the net. I use common sense and dont open Executable files sent to me by random people.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:31 PM   #6
Pikachu

You know that you can already infected by viruses just by surfing the websites? There are several viruses that infect your machine as you browse a webpage with specific plug-ins. (don't remember which ones)
Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 04:14 AM   #7
Seska

You can get infected if you are propted to download a plugin, and you ACCEPT to install said plugin. As with email, I dont install plugins unless they are from certified safe sites like Microsoft, Real, Macromedia, etc. You won't catch me clicking "Yes" for Gator, Bonzibuddy, or any other dubious plugin that is supposedly "beneficial" for your browser.

So unless you click "Yes" to every prompt, you can't just catch viruses from surfing the net.
Old 06-18-2002, 05:05 AM   #8
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

File Sharing.

Do you guys use programs that get rid of spyware, like ad-aware? You'll be suprised how much spyware you have after just one run. And you should never install KaZaA. That thing is supposed to have a lot of Spyware. You should use KaZaA Lite instead.

Old 06-18-2002, 10:37 AM   #9
Alucard

Becareful using ad-aware with winXP. With 98 its perfect and wonderful. With XP you could do yourself some harm by deleting something you shouldn't.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 12:24 PM   #10
ATMA
Gamer junkie

Protection

Hey MM you also got kazza lite?? sweet!!I know about that ad aware had it on the other p.c damn indeed you get alot of ads stuff in your p.c by just browsing around!!!
Old 06-22-2002, 12:40 PM   #11
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

KaZaA

Yeah, I use Kazaa a lot. I just got Windows XP Pro Full of it. You have no idea how long it takes with a 56K! Good thing it has the resume feature. Two day project.

Old 06-22-2002, 01:28 PM   #12
ATMA
Gamer junkie

Faster than Superman ??

Well i was shocked to know that about 50%of the states is still using modems!!I mean that won't be good for online gaming right ??I got cable so that's better than modem we could also put adsl wich is faster than cable but it will cost alittle more!!But i want T4 but that's more for companies i mean imagine you can dwnl stuff like 100mb/sec that's really fast ya ??
Old 06-22-2002, 01:37 PM   #13
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

Well.

I have a MSN contract dealy that expires in September, I think. And I'll probably get Cable after that. And I really doubt that I'll need T4. T1 can up to 15mb/sec right? This might be bad XBox Live. Numbers say that only 40% of US broadband.