The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 08-06-2003, 02:42 PM   #1
fantasy_final

Talking Silent Hill 3

Have you ever walked out of a particularly good horror flick only to discover that your muscles ache because you've been tensing them up in anticipation of the next terrifying event?

Silent Hill 3 is like that.

Like both episodes before it, this game lacks the pure, honest spookiness of something like Fatal Frame. It's no ghost story. Instead, Silent Hill 3 is something much more bizarre. It's not scary so much as it's, well, disturbing. Though it may not stay with you after it's over, the way a good old-fashioned haunted-house tale might, while you are playing it, there will be moments you just don't want to open that door, go down that stairway, or get into that elevator. That's partly because the game is so surreal that anything can happen, which keeps you on edge, expecting a new grotesque image around every corner. And more often than not, you get it.

The pacing in this game is arguably better than in either of the previous two. Things get weird pretty much from the start, but it's not until more than halfway through the game that the real madness begins. Every time you think you've seen the worst the game has to offer, the ante gets raised, and the tension along with it.

Silent Hill 3 is more difficult than the first two games. (Pay attention now, because I'm only going to say this once: CONSERVE YOUR AMMO. You'll thank me later). But it's also more carefully balanced--for example, I discovered that through much of the game, I'd find a new stash of ammo just after using my last bullet. That's smart design, and it also helps raise the tension level admirably.

Of course, it also means that those of us used to the generous helpings of kill pellets in the last two games will spend a lot of time using hand-to-hand weapons. Luckily, you get a few more of these than before, but not one of them is as helpful as a handgun and a couple dozen boxes of ammo.

There's a lot to like about this game, not least of which are the absolutely spectacular graphics. You have never seen characters look this good in a videogame. (It's a shame the lip synching is so poor in comparison.) And the environments are practically characters in themselves--especially as reality gets more and more twisted.

Still, the game shares a lot of the mild goofiness of the last two Silent Hills. Enemies that are intended to look gruesome and menacing often come off as looking simply silly--especially that trunk-limbed thing you've seen in a lot of screens. I'm supposed to be scared of a big white sock monkey? Whatever.

I'm sad to say I'm also getting a little tired of the whole fog thing. Yeah, yeah, we get it. You can't see where you're going. Ooooh! Scary! Thankfully, it's used less here than in either of the other two games.

Plus, is it me or are there a lot fewer puzzles here than before? It seems like the previous 50/50 split of puzzles and action has changed to something more like a 75/25 ratio in favor of killing stuff.

Even so, it's not often we see a survival-horror game with this much emphasis on horror. I just wish Konami would focus a little more on the psychological and a little less on the visceral. Judging from the scenes in this game, Konami has the power to send players screaming from the room. So let's see it.

http://www.gamers.com/game/1160959/media
fantasy_final is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 03:20 PM   #2
Mooreberg

I'd be all over this if I wasn't saving money for a new PC next month. VF4 Evo will probably be the only game I pick up until Half-Life 2 comes out. The demo for this on the Jampack was creepy as hell.

-Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
Mooreberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 03:22 PM   #3
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Yes Silent Hill 3 is a very good game nice how it's tie's with the first Silent Hill aswell.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 04:57 PM   #4
MoMo

i heard its alot harder >_<, Silent Hill 2 was hard enough. Wait...maybe its the fear factor that makes it seem harder..

currently playing ~ La Pucelle tactics
games owned to play and beat~Onimusha 2, ICO, Harvest Moon:AWL
MoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:11 PM   #5
deftoned

i picked up my game today.... granted i've only played about an hour of the game, i can toss in my 2-cents. graphically it looks a lot better than SH2, but the controls feel more flimsy (maybe because i havent played SH2 or SH1 in a long time). dodging enemies seems easier, at least now. i do like that the the creepiness kicks in earlier than SH2. the menus are A LOT better, since they divide weapons, supplies, and items up..... im glad i wont be going round and round looking for an item. also, the soundtrack was a nice bonus.

thats about it for now.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:14 PM   #6
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Im really thinking of getting this game, so once you beat it deftoned, tell me if it is worth paying $50 or wether I should just wait for a price drop.:cool guy:
Old 08-06-2003, 11:17 PM   #7
fantasy_final

Thumbs up

ofcourse it's worht fifty dollars Let me tell u i had a hard enough time trying to rent it , it was was like rogers video melee in there. I'm sure to be getting half life 2 as well . But Mooreburg i disagree the demo wasn't that good. I went to my friends house and i was watching him play it. I began to think wow what a big diffrence ..................No not really i told him to to take it out so i can play dbz bodukai. I rather have it for computer.

But let's stay on track a few tips on this game anyone. (silent hill)
Old 08-07-2003, 04:44 AM   #8
Alucard

Half-life2 playing? Its not out yet and wont be on any console, at least not for the XBox for quite a while. Dont know what your friend was playing! And yes, Silent Hill 3 is WORTH it! Excellent game. WHAT ARE YOU DOING RENTING IT! BUYBUYBUY!!!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 05:16 AM   #9
Seska

Silent Hill 3 is hardcore tough only like about the first hour in. Once you get your first melee weapon (lead pipe) its a walk through the park. A very scary park. At night. With mutant dogs. Feasting on bloody corpses with their bellies cut open and their guts sprawled out on the ground.

Yes.

Bosses are ridiculously easy, and the game is probably the shortest of the 3 SH games, I finished it in normal mode in 7 hours.

Fun 7 hours though.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:16 PM   #10
fantasy_final

Listen up i said demo!!!! Half life demo.

Why get it for ps2 when u can get it on pc.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:06 PM   #11
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

it's xB console and exculsive and why will people get it will I know for one my computer couldn't run it not in a million years.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:09 PM   #12
fantasy_final

xb exclusive ?
Old 08-07-2003, 04:12 PM   #13
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

duh, that's what I get for trying to type fast I meant it's XB console exculsive meaning the XB is the only console to be getting it along with Doom 3, Deus Ex 2 etc. :big smile
Old 08-07-2003, 04:25 PM   #14
fantasy_final

half life 2 for ps2

sounds kind of catchy
Old 08-07-2003, 04:30 PM   #15
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

indeed.