The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 07-13-2003, 10:50 PM   #1
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Daytona USA "Retrospective" Video

A little over a year and a half ago I created and edited a video dedicated to the various home incarnations of Daytona USA. Forum member Vicviper suggested I post it all for the world to see. OK. Although it does lose something going from real TV to internet file, I tried to make it as good as possible...30 frames per second, 320x240 resolution, stereo sound with only a 4:1 compression ratio, etc. But as a result the files weigh in pretty large. It is well over 4 minutes long. And no, I don't want to make a smaller file with a smaller window, rough sound and a choppy frame rate... that would kind of defeat the whole purpose.

Basically the video is 4 laps around the ADVANCED track from Daytona. It starts out with the original Saturn version. On lap 2 it dissolves into the CE Saturn version (Japanese version which had slightly less pop up) from a few years later. Then lap 3 you see the godly Dreamcast version. Then it's back to the OG Saturn version for lap 4 as well as a few scenes from other tracks from the DC version.

There is a DivX version and also a Quicktime version. The Quicktime looks marginally better, but it is the same resolution and frame rate as the DivX version. The QT version is for those who can't play DivX.

Here is the DivX version (60 MB)
http://www.redifer.com/daytona.avi

Here is the Quicktime version (123 MB!)
http://www.redifer.com/daytona.mov

I realize they are big, but oh well. I have an extrememly fast server, so as long as too many people aren't downloading at the same time, you should get pretty good speed.

PS - The black borders around the edge of the screen were created by the games, not by me.

Anyway, enjoy!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 01:22 AM   #2
shogun221
is lost

Well, I took the time to download the divx version, but none of my 8-billion players could get video

Metroid Fusion: 8/1/03
MegaMan Battle Network 3: 8/5/03
Metroid II:Return of Samus: 8/6/03
Castlevania:Aria of Sorrow: 8/12/03
shogun221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 02:12 AM   #3
Joe Redifer
Olé!

That's what sucks about DivX, there is no standard. I encoded it with 3viX D4 4.0.4 (on the Mac) and it worked fine on my Windows PC. Interesting.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 02:28 AM   #4
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

That was so much fun to watch. Thanks a bunch, Daytona still is one of my favorite games of all time.

I used VLC on OSX.

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 11:09 AM   #5
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Hell yeah! Great video. I just watched it for the 3rd time since I download the video last night.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote