The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 06-27-2003, 12:30 AM   #1
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

The Apple G5

Link: http://www.apple.com/powermac/

What are your thoughts?

Prices start at Two grand for a 1.6 GHz.

Wish I could sell my G4 with a ATI 8500 and 1 GB memory for the Dual 2GhZ...drool...

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 09:31 AM   #2
mackensie
Wise Fool.

Its beauty stuff. But keep in mind anti-apple fanatics, these computers are expensive, because they are mostly aimed towards rich people, and professionals. Home based users will get their G5 soon, probably 6-12 months (powerbook, imac, ibook lastly).

But yet again apple has proved that they are the king of design. Whether or not you like apple, you have to be impressed by the design of the computer itself. And at least apple is making computers in the same speed class as PC's, its been a while since that happened.
Love can sweep you off your feet and carry you along in a way you've never known before. But the ride always ends, and you end up feeling lonely and bitter. Wait. It's not love I'm describing. I'm thinking of a monorail.
mackensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 10:34 AM   #3
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I agree. It's nice to see able getting their footing for speed. It makes their gamers happy and program run smoother. I wouldn't mind one bit own a G5. But I just spent maybe $1000 on my current Mac and accessories. Plus that is just the tower alone. For something that beautiful I would want a nice 23" Apple Monitor to go with it......*drools*

Hey for fun lets talk about the G5 looks. What do you guys think of the tower design? When I first seen it I didn't think it was very special. After a while DL movies and ect on it, I think it looks awesome. It's all metal look makes it seem like a real beast of a computer.

Last edited by Reality; 06-27-2003 at 10:43 AM.
Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 10:55 AM   #4
mackensie
Wise Fool.

well the only think that would make gamers happy on an apple is games actually coming out for mac os X. its a barren land for gamers, and that (for me) is the largest flaw on os X. other than that I've found that os X is superior in EVERY way over a windows box.
Love can sweep you off your feet and carry you along in a way you've never known before. But the ride always ends, and you end up feeling lonely and bitter. Wait. It's not love I'm describing. I'm thinking of a monorail.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:01 PM   #5
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

I'll be first to admit that most games are made for Windows and then for Macs if they are popular. But every now and then, a few gems slips through: Half Life and Battlefield come to mind. But Blizzard is very Mac friendly right now, releasing their games as PC/Mac Hybrids upon release. (World of Warcraft not included)

The tower design is ok. But for some reason, I havn't gotten a high res picture of the back yet. I've seen the front and sides, but I wanna see the back. I've always been a fan of the large ass handles on my tower, I have the most portable desktop out of my frieneds, mostly in part of my flatscreen monitor.

I'd like to get a powerbook G5. But the only reservations I have is the power it'll have after a year or so in comparison to the PC market. It's been a long time since the G4 was released. And I don't see the G6 being announced in a shorter time period.

(rubbing his head, has hangover) Gaming is everyone's* biggest problem with Apple. Unfortudently games won't come without an audience and an audience won't come without games. But it IS improving. Though I had to do a little bit of digging to make sure, Halo is comming out for Macs, by MacSoft.

I love OSX. Best OS I've ever abused.

*Some will complain about people's unability to buy apple hardware to create their own machines too.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 02:13 PM   #6
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Get a look at the size of this thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 204983dsc08323-med.jpg (69.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-03-2003, 02:25 PM   #7
mackensie
Wise Fool.

alas it is quite large. however it makes 3 times less noise (or some other arbitrary number) then the previous g4 tower.

I'll take that tradeoff anyday of the year.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:32 PM   #8
Reality
Sin and Punishment

It's big but man-o-man she is so beautiful. I take it over the G4 anyday also. It's so power looking it makes anyone ask if the seen it across the room, hey what's that?