The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 06-26-2003, 01:59 AM   #1
Cobi*
renegade

tomb raider: angel of darkness reviews

guess what?.......................... apparently the game blows.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=52394

http://www.psxnation.com/reviews/ps2...dnumber=000488

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventur...od/review.html

i am a little surprised. i knew it wasn't going to be pretty but sheesh, even i'm inclined to feel sorry for this sad series now.

so, is this it for tomb raider?

and are you, despite the obvious, still planning on buying the game?
Cobi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:43 AM   #2
Nindalf

Re: tomb raider: angel of darkness reviews

Quote:
Originally posted by cobi40-50
guess what?.......................... apparently the game blows.
NO? Well i could have never seen this coming. Such an amazing serie.

But if the game would actually blow then teens would buy it...
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:50 AM   #3
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

I agree. Tomb Raider started out strong but it just gets old after a while. VERY OLD! I am feeling the same way about Tony Hawk. I loved the first 2 and then the 3rd was good and then the 4th one just was not enjoyable anymore.

But there are exceptions to this such as Mario games and Castlevania games. God I could play a new Castlevania game on the gameboy every year and would not get sick of them.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:01 AM   #4
Zod
All hail the hypno-toad!!

It's easy to give it bad reviews. All of the repeated delays were issued by Eidos with the claim that they were making the game better. What we got after three years of waiting since the last TR game is a buggy POS with slow-downs, horrible controls with a high learning curve to get familiar with, glitches, and a ton of cheap deaths that made many feel it didn't justify the wait. I'll get the game, but not at $50. I'll wait until it's price is in the $25 - $30 area.

On the bright side, Maxim gave it a perfect 5/5 score. It doesn't take anything beyond a pair of tits to impress them. :2happy:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/468726.asp
Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:58 PM   #5
baratus
Elite Bouncer

Sheesh! Why the surprise, Tomb Raider has always sucked.
baratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:29 PM   #6
Ogni
In bed with Sega!

Quote:
Originally posted by baratus
Sheesh! Why the surprise, Tomb Raider has always sucked.
YES! I remember like it was yesterday, when my import dealer got Tomb Raider for Saturn, with all the hype surrounding this game I was expecting something huge! But it turned out to be the game with THE WORST CONTROLS EVER! Even Flashback on Genesis was easier to get along... well my 2 cents!
Old 06-26-2003, 02:40 PM   #7
mackensie
Wise Fool.

I don't know, I enjoyed the first couple tomb raiders... Maybe it was because it was the best that was available for my mac tho. It did revolutinize the 3rd person adventure game.
Love can sweep you off your feet and carry you along in a way you've never known before. But the ride always ends, and you end up feeling lonely and bitter. Wait. It's not love I'm describing. I'm thinking of a monorail.
mackensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:52 PM   #8
Ogni
In bed with Sega!

Well maybe it's just me, but "bad" controls can ruin the best game for me. Best example would be Resident Evil, the only reason I was so scared in that game (part 1) was because I was not able to control the char the way I wanted it to. This led to pure panic when being attacked... I still played RE, but I never really got used to the controls.
I know some might say that you get used to it, but I want to be able to control a game intuitionaly, just like most Nintendo games.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:22 PM   #9
DBJAY

Sony also made a huge deal out of aquiring this game "exclusively" for the PS2 at E3 2002 and paid a hefty chunk. Ooops. Poor choice on Sony's part.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 05:05 PM   #10
Twelve
Sky is gone; 12 is HERE!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, DBJAY... *rolls eyes*

Anyways, a 3? a 4? Those are SORRY scores...lol.

I remember they interviewed some blokes behind this game, and they were talking about how amazing this mess was gonna be.

Please. As soon as I saw that cornball sidekick of hers, and that it was delayed to coincided with the movie, I was like...uh-oh.

Doooown it goes!

Old 06-26-2003, 05:53 PM   #11
Cobi*
renegade

12, that's exactly what i thought when i heard about the "side-kick." it didn't make any sense to me why they'd opt for a male side-kick either. we all know why people play tomb raider games and it's NOT because of the good gameplay.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogni
I know some might say that you get used to it, but I want to be able to control a game intuitionaly, just like most Nintendo games.
i agree, though you can get used to the controls of a game, i prefer the extremely fluid and intuitive controls of a game like zelda: the wind waker. personally, i thought the control in this game made it more enjoyable for me.

dbjay, i don't think it's that big of a deal for sony. this game will probably sell more than an equally bad game with a lesser known name and sony has a good relationship with core/eidos.

at first when they announced this game, they said they planned to make it a three part series. given these bad reviews and the possibility of lower than expected sales i have to wonder if core still intends to go through with these plans.
Cobi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 08:12 PM   #12
Dragon Heart

do not misunderstand but i hate lara croft
she is filthy , dirty, fool , stupid and weak
even yuna could surpass her

Hammood_1234@hotmail.com
Old 06-26-2003, 11:36 PM   #13
Vegetto
Alive

man....what a "waist" ......(stops staring) I mean what a waste ....such a great graphics......
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:02 AM   #14
Rubeus

No matter how good/bad the reviews are, Tomb Raider AOD is still going to sell really well, due to its name and the push of the Tomb Raider Cradle of Life movie!
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 09:08 AM   #15
Nem
Awakening

Quote:
Originally posted by Rubeus
No matter how good/bad the reviews are, Tomb Raider AOD is still going to sell really well, due to its name and the push of the Tomb Raider Cradle of Life movie!
well probably... but what if the movie sucks?? that would be the end of it! Though im expecting the movie to be good, unlike the game wich since the early shots failed to impress me since i was sooooo bored with the last 4 (yes i only enjoyed the original one, the other ones were a pain)...but one of the things that needed a revolution aparantly was hardly touched - the playability!! And we all know what makes a good game... and it aint a good pair of (.)(.) though it helps in sales!!