The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 06-07-2002, 01:37 AM   #1
Rubeus

Cool Square helps out the entire console market

You have to count Square in as a pioneer to console online games, other companies like Nintendo is just sitting there to let the other to dig up a big online market before they jump into it. In some cases I would call that SELFISH, they sit and wait for the others to create an opportunity for them; but Square in this case is kind of helping out the entire console market by expanding the online market for everybody!

I think it is kind of unfair for people keep on critizing Final Fantasy XI, you have to also consider what this game contribute to the entire console market as a whole. To me I think Square is not only trying to make money, they also want a better healthier console market.

-------------------------
This is original a thread in the PS2 discussion, but I feel this message should continue in here because it leads to a different topic.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 01:47 AM   #2
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

Well,

Don't forget SEGA. They also headed the way for Online Console gaming. Square is just expanding it.

We seem to have juxtaposed an impasse here.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 01:54 AM   #3
Rubeus

Re: Well,

Quote:
Originally posted by Overlord
Don't forget SEGA. They also headed the way for Online Console gaming. Square is just expanding it.
Yeah but Sega never created a massive environment like the PlayOnline server, Sega never created a MMORPG for Dreamcast.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:58 AM   #4
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

Uh?

Quote:
Rebeus:
Yeah but Sega never created a massive environment like the PlayOnline server, Sega never created a MMORPG for Dreamcast.
What about PSO? And SegaNet? I believe that PlayOnline is bigger than Sega's server. Not a 100% sure though.

Old 06-07-2002, 09:59 AM   #5
Black Sugar
put some sugar on top...

I'm sorry, but Sega did start everything up.

Nobody can't denied that.
Black Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 10:08 AM   #6
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Bahamut
I'm sorry, but Sega did start everything up.

Nobody can't denied that.
Amen to that. Dreamcast was the first console to go online, I'm not sure about the Nintendo's 64DD, which I think also went online but never took off.
Old 06-07-2002, 12:17 PM   #7
WINDJAMMERS

You call it selfish; I call it smart.
Old 06-07-2002, 12:25 PM   #8
Necro ??

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill

Amen to that. Dreamcast was the first console to go online.

Bzzzzt wrong!

Sega saturn was the first to go online. there were few games you could play online. but i remember when my friend showed me the internet on the SS. I wanted one after that. @.@

Sega started it all*kicks atari even if it rules*
Old 06-07-2002, 02:15 PM   #9
Rubeus

Now you see what I mean!

Check all the replies above. Everybody just giving respects and credits to Sega, and Square gets all the blames and flames.

What's happening there?

Even though Sega created the first console online games, but Square put as much efforts into the online world as Sega, but all Square get back are negative comments from everybody. People are skipitcal on things they did.

So credits go to the one who started it but not the ones who expanding it? It doesn't make sense.
Old 06-07-2002, 02:52 PM   #10
WINDJAMMERS

If you feel that Square is carrying the online torch from Sega, I guess I would agree with you. But if you say that Square deserves all the credit, then you are wrong.
Old 06-07-2002, 03:03 PM   #11
Black Sugar
put some sugar on top...

This is not the time to be heroic.

The FFXI was a disaster back in Japan. Haven't they have enough financial problems already?

They should skip FFXI and focus on the FFXII.

Last edited by Black Sugar; 06-07-2002 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:30 PM   #12
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

Nintendo's not sitting out there doing nothing. They just don't want to waste money- money that could be spent on making new innovative games- without the online crutch. They don't have a problem with the cube going online (SEGA' PSOI&II)- they just don't want to foot the bill if it falls though. They're not even charging profits on online fees!! That's helping out developers there.

Just like the PC scene, if developers want to go online- they can.. it's all up to them tho.
Old 06-07-2002, 06:17 PM   #13
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

Land of the rising sun

Quote:
Black Bahamut:
The FFXI was a disaster back in Japan. Haven't they have enough financial problems already?
I have to disagree. FFXI sold amazingly well, considering the shortages. And ATMA informed me that there are still people waiting to buy FFXI in Japan. Theres always someone wanting to play the demos. After the shortage is resolved, FFXI should start selling well. It won't sell as fast as FFX, but it will do great over time.

Quote:
Black Bahamut:
They should skip FFXI and focus on the FFXII.
They already spent a lot of time and money on it. They should try and get as much out of it as they can. They probably already started on FFXII. And hopefully they're thinking about Chrono Break also.

Old 06-07-2002, 08:16 PM   #14
Seska

With two FFX spinoffs on the way, they will probably focus on getting those finished for the end of the year. Then they can spend half of next fine-tuning FFXII. Titles like Chrono Break or any other series/sequels/spinoffs would, I speculate, appear sometime in the latter half of 2003. Not to mention probably a lot of sports games with online features to foster the Play Online community. :p
Old 06-08-2002, 12:05 AM   #15
Black Sugar
put some sugar on top...

I still think that FFXI is a little bit risky, this ain't the time to try things that could destroy you completly. I only hope that FFXI will be as well receive in north-America .

Playing it safe like they are doing for the next fiscal year is the right thing to do.