The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 06-06-2002, 11:10 PM   #1
Wolf

Question Anyone still playing their PSOne?

I have recently found it harder and harder to pick up my PSOne games and actually get into them.

Current Example: The Italian Job

I am trying to get into this title so much. The game is interesting but the graphics really ruin some of the overall fun. It is hard to see actual cars you have to chase since they turn into pixelated messes when they get a little bit ahead of you.

I am not a graphics whore by any means but with the level of detail that the Dreamcast, PS2, GC and Xbox are now capable of do you guys find it harder to go back and play through FF7 or enjoy other games on the PSOne?

It's a shame too. I have games on my sheld like Fear Effect 2, Parasite Eve II and others, but the desire to play them takes back seat to titles like Resident Evil (for GC) and Devil May Cry or MoH: FL.

With titles like Ratchet & Clank, Starfox Adventures and Panzer Dragoon Orta on their way it's going to be a whole lot harder to turn back to games like Dino Crisis II and Driver. The gameplay and graphics are simply outdated by the current crop of hardware and software.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 05:08 PM   #2
Vash
Your Hero

I agree i do find it harder, but that dosent stop me from playing old games ... i can never get tired of FF Tactics
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 08:11 PM   #3
Seska

I don't think I shall be giving up on my PS1 jsut yet as long as there is a great lack of DECENT RPG/ADV/SMG games on the PS2. Games like Suikoden 2, Tales of Phantasia/Destiny, Star Ocean, things that dont rely TOO heavily on 3D are quite tolerable.

Make me play games along the line of Tomb Raider or Car games, and the 3D graphics will have me scraping my retina off with a rusty nail.

Yes, I guess I've been spoilt that way. :p
Old 06-08-2002, 02:52 PM   #4
Rubeus

Yes I still play with my Playstation! I'm replaying Final Fantasy VII right now. For some strange reason, FFVII is not fully compatible with PS2, in the middle of the game the graphics always get scrambled up completely, so I'm forced to put the game back into my old Playstation.

Anyone ever tried to play FFVII on PS2?
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 03:54 PM   #5
folken001

I still play lots of my PSone games. In fact, I am determined to finish Star Ocean: 2nd story this time. It is a fun game, yo!

FFXI Server: Caitsith
lv 75 RNG/PLD/BRD/NIN/MNK, lv 63 WHM(Retired)
folken001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 06:04 PM   #6
Vash
Your Hero

ya 2d games look just fine on the PSone ... Valkrie Profile and Castlevania SOTN are probably 2 of my fav games right now ...
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 02:38 AM   #7
dragoonocean

Hek yea, Y wouldnt I play the best system of all time, it seems Bandai is the only thing holding it up now ;[ sadly
Old 06-09-2002, 05:43 PM   #8
Dubkiller

I've been playing PSOne lately. I finished Syphon Filter 2, and then went back and completed Syphon Filter 1 from start to finish. (I'd gotten halfway through the game a long time ago, and never bothered to finish it for some reason).
Old 06-10-2002, 02:05 PM   #9
ericbox

i'd like to get my hands on parappa but before i do does anyone have a good idea of what a used or new copy would be going for.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:28 PM   #10
ATMA
Gamer junkie

not really!!

I've been playing my psone games on my ps2 ,so i'm not really playing psone ,but i won't hesitate to plug it in and play some psone games though !!
Old 06-11-2002, 02:19 AM   #11
Bookbagninja

Heck yeah, man. At this very moment, I'm playing Striker 1945. Love this game. Bout to play Einhander. PSone is the best for shooters...
Bookbagninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 06:16 PM   #12
HungLong

While waiting for Romance of the Three Kingdoms 7 to come out on PS2 this summer, I'm currently playing those low budget PS games on my PSX. Those games aren't hits but they're not all bad nontheless.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:17 PM   #13
IHZer0
Animal Crossing!

I'm playing it so much these days.

I just recently got a PSone Combo (for graduation), and I've been playing on the little screen and system, instead of my PS2 and 32" WEGA.

Actually, I prefer it...probably cuz the PS2 and WEGA is in my mom's room, while the PSone is in my room.

Anyways, yesterday I picked up Arc the Lad Collection. Day before that I got Parappa the Rapper. And the day before that I got Striker 1945. So I obviously have my hands full with those games...but I also got back into Castlevania Chronicles, which I haven't beaten yet. I'm so glad I picked it up when it came out, I don't see it anywhere anymore.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:22 PM   #14
Dubkiller

Okay, now that I've finished Syphon Filter 1 & 2, I tried to go back and finish Fear Effect after getting part way through it a long time ago. I think I remember why I stopped playing now, and I don't think I'm going to ever finish it. The game has frustratingly long load times every time you die, and the gameplay is pretty much all trial and error. What poor design.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:19 PM   #15
gabriel
infinity in finity

I dont have a PSone anymore, and I dont really played any of the PSone games that I do have. Pretty much all my games are RPGs. If it wasnt for RPGs, and a few other games (like Resident Evil, Castlevania) the PSone would have been a total waste of money for me.

Not only did Sony's decision to pull ahead with 3D when the technology wasnt ready bring forth a slew of ugly ass graphics, it also brought the untimely end to 2D (for the most part). That's not to say the PSone hasnt brought me countless hours of entertainment, it has, but I would have much prefered if Sony held off the 3D for a while.
gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote