The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 05-30-2003, 12:32 PM   #1
Nindalf

Hey can somone tell me is this true or just load of crap?

While ago i saw in finance news that sonys stocked had lowered atleast 12% and they lost over 900 million $ because low sales of home entertaiment including PS2. its bit weird cuz last time i heard PS2 was still number 1 selling console

so it this just a stupid mistake made by idiot finish finance reports or is it true?

thanks
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 01:05 PM   #2
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Re: Hey can somone tell me is this true or just load of crap?

Quote:
Originally posted by NiN
While ago i saw in finance news that sonys stocked had lowered atleast 12% and they lost over 900 million $ because low sales of home entertaiment including PS2. its bit weird cuz last time i heard PS2 was still number 1 selling console

so it this just a stupid mistake made by idiot finish finance reports or is it true?

thanks
Well remember, Sony is more than just a console company... the PS2 is really just a small portion of what their into... I don't think it's a sick joke, I just think that the PS2 has become a product that everybody assoceates with Sony and helps people trigger a response to... Sony is not only into the console business, but their into music, movies, online gaming (Soney Online Entertainment), computers, CD/MP3 Players, DVD players.... Sound systems... they even make component for computers, home entertainment could include just about all of that save computer components, music and movies... but even then you could include music and movies. So it would be nice to know which exact departments lost money.

Currently PLAYING: Oblivion(PC), Rise of Legends Demo (PC), Commandos 2 (PC)

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Renegade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 02:50 PM   #3
Nindalf

It said it was the home entertaiment, being almost all ps2, cd player, whatever. It said the whole company lost 900 million, not just one department
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:46 PM   #4
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Quote:
Originally posted by NiN
It said it was the home entertaiment, being almost all ps2, cd player, whatever. It said the whole company lost 900 million, not just one department
Then there ya go... they just pointed out the PS2 because it's such a popular product.

Currently PLAYING: Oblivion(PC), Rise of Legends Demo (PC), Commandos 2 (PC)

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Renegade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 01:21 AM   #5
Seska

The article is pretty much true. http://www.universal-music.co.jp/jue...dex_main2.html

However as Renegade X said, its includes all of Sony's consumer electronics products. The PS2, needless to say, generates a wealth of profit for Sony Corp., no small wonder since the bastards ares still overcharging the damn console and it still sells like hotcakes.

However, when it comes to TVs, Hi Fis, and other home electronics systems, people know that Sony are among the more expensive choices and certainly not always the best. Its no surprise that they are drawing up losses in those areas. Also, take in account the Minidiscs that have hecome a huge failure in the West. That floundered venture musta hurt bad. :p
Old 05-31-2003, 07:14 AM   #6
dog$
RS Cokehead Police

Wow, the first thread from NiN in months and it's asking about Sony's loss of profits.

Almost as if he's looking for trouble...
Almost.
dog$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 07:18 AM   #7
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

(Cue overly dramatic soap opera stinger?)

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 02:10 AM   #8
Investor27
Legend

I remember reading an article awhile back stating that the PS2 gaming business generates 40% of Sony's overall profit in 2002. So you can't say that the PS2 only brings in a "small profit" for them.
Investor27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 11:23 AM   #9
ATMA
Gamer junkie

I thought it was 18 or 28% ..I could be wrong though.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:26 PM   #10
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Isn't it amazing to anybody besides myself that here we are around two decades from when they first came out with CD players and companies make systems with so much power and all sorts of additions, and yet, the system screws up after a short time so you have to replace it. It can't even read CDs right after awhile, so i'd say we've dowgraded because of mass production and economy of structure (i.e. parts are made from often weak/cheap properties whereas back then the now vintage stuff was made with more attention to detail).
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 08:46 AM   #11
Pilotwings
*can't talk...eating*

Re: Hey can somone tell me is this true or just load of crap?

Quote:
Originally posted by NiN

thanks
doesn't suprise me. this day and age, the economy is in bad shapes. everyone is hurting.
Pilotwings is offline   Reply With Quote