The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 05-14-2003, 07:51 PM   #1
Seska

Half-Life 2 Footage

http://www.happygun.com/halflife2_pce32003_2dn_qt.mov

Go get it. You know you want to.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 07:53 PM   #2
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Oh yeha, I want it, along with Matrix and Middle Earth Online. God I can't wait for X-Plays showing of the E3 show floor.

Currently PLAYING: Oblivion(PC), Rise of Legends Demo (PC), Commandos 2 (PC)

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Renegade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 02:56 AM   #3
Alucard

Oh my god did you see all the awesome things? Pushing things to block doorways, destroying parts of the area.. This game is going to definately win game of the year. I haven't been this excited for a game in ages. Except Thief3..

.. Just noticed the IGN insiders have access to a 20min clip. If anyone knows where this can be downloaded then give me a pm!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:20 AM   #4
mackensie
Wise Fool.

omg 8) 8)
that is nuts.
if every level is as interactive as that one, that is absolutly astounding.
valve was actually able to use the physics engine to dramatically affect the gameplay. and did you see some of that AI? ahah this just jumped ahead of doom3 on my most wanted list.
Love can sweep you off your feet and carry you along in a way you've never known before. But the ride always ends, and you end up feeling lonely and bitter. Wait. It's not love I'm describing. I'm thinking of a monorail.
mackensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:26 AM   #5
insteefy
I create dead bodies

Omg, thats beyond amazing. Its outstanding. Jezus Christ, sweet Lord, this game is everything!!

The A.I is GREAT! they run behind u, shoot through walls, smash open doors, o m g. This is almost as good as sex, maybe even better, omg.

Old 05-15-2003, 03:14 PM   #6
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Mmmmm, half life 2.... mmmmmmmmm Halo 2, aHHHH!! the FPS goodness is just way too good this year... Half Life 2 just sky rocked up my most wanted list for the PC. Plus, the good thing about Half Life 2, is that we know we'll have it before the 5 year anniversy of Half Life, which is this year.

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Old 05-15-2003, 03:50 PM   #7
Alucard

How you can remember Halo 2 existing after watching the HL2 clip is beyond me! This is the only game thats got GOTY written all over it for 3 straight years. Can anyone picture Counter Strike like this? Someone throw a bucket of ice over me quick!
Old 05-15-2003, 04:25 PM   #8
insteefy
I create dead bodies

indeed.

Counter Strike and Day of Defeat (ww2 fps) with the HL2 engine. Just, too damn sweet!!
Old 05-15-2003, 05:58 PM   #9
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Quote:
Originally posted by Alucard
How you can remember Halo 2 existing after watching the HL2 clip is beyond me! This is the only game thats got GOTY written all over it for 3 straight years. Can anyone picture Counter Strike like this? Someone throw a bucket of ice over me quick!
Easy, I don't see Gordon Freeman jumping into a Warthog and taking down Covenant drops ships nor do I see him looking like he's about to get mowed over by a Ghost only to end up latching on to the front and eventually taking out the driver and laying down some smack on dropships and other Ghosts, nor do I see Gordon taking out 5 Shield Barers with a grenade, nor do I see him steeping up to a mounted chaingun an causing mass car and covenant destruction. Oh and my personal favorite, I don't see Freeman whippin' out the duel machine guns and laying down some smack either. So you tell me how I can remember Halo 2 after watching HL2.

Half Life 2 looks good, I'm psyched about it but Halo 2 is really one upping it.

Old 05-15-2003, 10:08 PM   #10
Cobi*
renegade

oh man! i've been trying to find a trailor to this game but none of the links seem to work. if anyone can link me to one that does i'd be most grateful!
Cobi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM   #11
Alucard

Quote:
Originally posted by Renegade X
Easy, I don't see Gordon Freeman jumping into a Warthog and taking down Covenant drops ships nor do I see him looking like he's about to get mowed over by a Ghost only to end up latching on to the front and eventually taking out the driver and laying down some smack on dropships and other Ghosts, nor do I see Gordon taking out 5 Shield Barers with a grenade, nor do I see him steeping up to a mounted chaingun an causing mass car and covenant destruction. Oh and my personal favorite, I don't see Freeman whippin' out the duel machine guns and laying down some smack either. So you tell me how I can remember Halo 2 after watching HL2.

Half Life 2 looks good, I'm psyched about it but Halo 2 is really one upping it.
Theres no comparison! Freeman did way more freakish things in the first game. So I'm pretty sure this ones going to have some more surprises in store that aren't as generic as what you'd find in Halo. Shooting at enemy after enemy in different ways is all good and fun and can be done in many games as is like Doom 3 or the current Unreal 2. But to be able to interact with your surroundings...now thats a true feature. No game is that detailed. No matter how many gattling guns a character can hold at once.

Once again, Halo is just a pretty Tribes ripoff. But exclusive. Had it come out on the PC I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have garnered this much attention. Dont misunderstand me though, I'm sure Halo 2 will be a great game. But I still dont see how anyone can say its one up on Half Life 2. That is just THE game.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:58 AM   #12
Seska

I'll have to agree with Alucard on this one, while Halo 2 does look okay, it doesnt either look as graphically accomplished as HL2, nor does it boast such a truly pant-soiling enemy AI or in-game physics engine. The problem with Halo is that its all been done before, either in Halo 1 or Tribes or other games. Twin machineguns? Wasn't that done in Blood like a decade ago? :p Heck, even those pods slamming into the ground reminded me of FFX. :D

The level of envioronment interactivity in HL2, however, is nothing short of groundbreaking, and for that alone it will probably get GOTY. No doubt about it.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:12 AM   #13
ScornedGod
Fanboys,Hurhur!

Can't Download
Is the link correct, cause i get a message saying the file doesn't exist
ScornedGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 05:53 AM   #14
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Quote:
Originally posted by Seska
I'll have to agree with Alucard on this one, while Halo 2 does look okay, it doesnt either look as graphically accomplished as HL2, nor does it boast such a truly pant-soiling enemy AI or in-game physics engine. The problem with Halo is that its all been done before, either in Halo 1 or Tribes or other games. Twin machineguns? Wasn't that done in Blood like a decade ago? :p Heck, even those pods slamming into the ground reminded me of FFX.

The level of envioronment interactivity in HL2, however, is nothing short of groundbreaking, and for that alone it will probably get GOTY. No doubt about it.
Ok, one, I don't know what footage your guys are watching, but I'd like to see it because it'd just like to run down a little list of what I saw in the Halo 2 trailer:

--Great Graphics
--Allied AI controled Vehciles, that didn't suck mind you.
--Enemy AI dropping down on vehciles and causing them to go out of control.
--Cars being used as effective bombs when shot at.
--Enemy AI actually showing some co-op (Shield Covenant in V formation)
--The ability to jump onto a vehicle and take it over in real time. (Definately a first)

This is what I saw in Half Life 2
--more realistic enviroments from the first
--Great Graphics (H2 and HL2 are par with each other, I beg you to nitpic)
--Story could be interesting, but can't say till it comes out.
--Another run of the mill one man army with a armory built into his body somewhere, the only game I know that can effenently explain the huge amount of weapons they can carry is Star Trek Elite Force.
--Enemys and the AI look very simplifed, almost mimic the last game.

Thats about it of course, I have another reason for not getting to psyched about Half-Life 2.... this is Valve we're talking about... who has consistently delayed their best titles. As of right now, visually and potentally, Halo 2 rules the FPS scene, which by the way doesn't include Thief III or Deus Ex Invisiable War because their more than just FPS's. Half-Life 2 just doesn't have the umph of Halo 2.

Old 05-16-2003, 07:07 AM   #15
Alucard

Oh oh! I'm gonna be the first to respond to all the points! I feel rather special now...

Quote:
Originally posted by Renegade X
Ok, one, I don't know what footage your guys are watching, but I'd like to see it because it'd just like to run down a little list of what I saw in the Halo 2 trailer:

--Great Graphics
--Allied AI controled Vehciles, that didn't suck mind you.
--Enemy AI dropping down on vehciles and causing them to go out of control.
--Cars being used as effective bombs when shot at.
--Enemy AI actually showing some co-op (Shield Covenant in V formation)
--The ability to jump onto a vehicle and take it over in real time. (Definately a first)
Lets see... Great graphics, sure. AI conrtolled vehicles are all good and lovely for gameplay. All this having been done before, but by no means a bad thing. Definately needed in more games. But this next part where you mention cars as bombs, done in many FPS games on the PC already so its not a new feature. NOLF did it as an example.

Enemy AI working together. To this day I dont think anything matches the AI in games like HL-Opposing Forces. They'd all hide behind cover and throw grenades at you, meanwhile distracting you as their friends ran round behind you to surprise you. Delta Force had excellent AI. Unbelievable. Always working together. Theres dozens of games really. But like I said before, this sort of feature should be everywhere.

Now the vehicle thing taking it over being a first... no. You could do this is many games before. Operation Flashpoint. Battlefield 1942 you can drive anything from planes to tanks to battleships. <I think this came out before Halo, or at least was being made forever.> Also Hidden and Dangerous. Grand Theft Auto 1-3. Theres much more I'm sure, but I dont remember them at the moment.

Quote:
This is what I saw in Half Life 2
--more realistic enviroments from the first
--Great Graphics (H2 and HL2 are par with each other, I beg you to nitpic)
--Story could be interesting, but can't say till it comes out.
--Another run of the mill one man army with a armory built into his body somewhere, the only game I know that can effenently explain the huge amount of weapons they can carry is Star Trek Elite Force.
--Enemys and the AI look very simplifed, almost mimic the last game.
Ok, now this is where things get shady. Definately great graphics, HL2 and H2 both are excellent, though trying to choose one as better then the other is something I wont do because they're seriously just much too different form each other. Ones more gritty and modern day, while the other is more fantasy futuristic and metallic. The story I already expect to be great, considering Half Life was the game that really showed you how to put a great story into an FPS game. Honourable mention to System Shock 1 before I continue..

Your next 2 points confuse me muchly! You say Freeman is another run of the mill guy with an arsenal. Isn't the guy in Halo like, uber armoured, compared to Freeman? And enemy AI looking simplified and mimic the last game? Hell no. The last game had awesome AI. And you find me one other game where you bar down the doorway and the enemy gets friends to shoot at you through the windows while they bash the door down. You wont find one. HL2 currently seems to show the best AI of any game I've seen. Theres just no comparison. Although I would like to point out that Halo should be more compared to Doom 3, not Half Life 2. While one is more a strategic realistic type game, the other is more hardcore throws dozens of enemies at you that just keep pouring forward and you shoot and run backwards with heaps of health. Much different.

And I will completely disagree with how you say Halo 2 rules the FPS scene graphically. Doom 3 looks much better then Halo 2. Much much better from everything from character models to lighting and shadows. Destructive surroundings, and just about as many other things that make Doom 3 much much more graphically then Halo 2. Though to me I love the look of HL2 more and the feel and style of game that will bring me. Its like asking why some people prefer to play Counterstrike instead of Quake 3. Different feel.