The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 05-08-2003, 07:03 AM   #1
cic?ron

SEGA says no to Namco and consider a french company

The japan times says sega refused both the offers of namco and sammy, but is still looking at the offers of EA, microsoft and a french videogame company (do u think atari? or UBI?) wich seems to be the favorite.

L'affaire Sega n'est pas pr?te de prendre fin puisque l'on apprend aujourd'hui via des quotidiens japonais que la firme du h?risson bleu aurait finalement refus? les deux offres de Namco et de Sammy, le g?ant du pachinko. Sega ?tudie cela pour que la fusion soit la plus b?n?fique possible ? la compagnie nippone. Il faut aussi ajouter ? cela que plusieurs compagnies sont encore en course pour s'allier ? Sega comme Electronic Arts, Microsoft et m?me une certaine compagnie fran?aise bien plac?e. Bref, on n'a vraiment pas fini d'en parler !

(Source : Nikkei - The Japan Times
cic?ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 10:31 AM   #2
DBJAY

I think that there are only four companies left that could have the resources to acquire Sega: EA, MS, Ubi Soft, Sony.

In other news, Vivendi is selling off their games publishing/developing video game unit as they pull out of entertainment, and I beleive they are a more attractive buy than Sega at this point.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 12:40 PM   #3
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Atari(used to be Infogrames) might have the resources the merge or buy Sega.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 04:26 PM   #4
cic?ron

Yeah, I agree, they are big. I think it's the largest european...
Old 05-09-2003, 05:52 AM   #5
ScornedGod
Fanboys,Hurhur!

Quote:
Originally posted by DBJAY
I think that there are only four companies left that could have the resources to acquire Sega: EA, MS, Ubi Soft, Sony.

In other news, Vivendi is selling off their games publishing/developing video game unit as they pull out of entertainment, and I beleive they are a more attractive buy than Sega at this point.
The only company out of those four that i think would approve of is Ubi Soft. MS and Sony would ensure exclusivity which i dont want to see happen. EA would just end up 'westernising' Segas great games, which would be a shame. Only Ubi because i have no idea what could come out of it, so it would at least be interesting
ScornedGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 10:45 AM   #6
Alucard

What are you doing Konami! Make me happy and become one with my second, <first being Konami> favourite company! BUYBUYBUY!!!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 11:00 AM   #7
cic?ron

Quote:
Originally posted by ScornedGod
The only company out of those four that i think would approve of is Ubi Soft. MS and Sony would ensure exclusivity which i dont want to see happen. EA would just end up 'westernising' Segas great games, which would be a shame. Only Ubi because i have no idea what could come out of it, so it would at least be interesting

well Ubi is really too small even if they have plenty off well selling titles (rayman, splintercell, vrally), Infogram (now atari), is much more bigger. Eventhough they have some financial problems, they might be able to merge with sega
Old 05-12-2003, 12:46 AM   #8
aneep

IFGM with their heavy debts? i doubt it, unless ETM sold really really well and the sequel to that also sold really really well

i only see MS and EA as possible buyer (parts or whole, or at least buying some stakes, like what EA did with DICE recently)

and between the two, i would prefer MS, EA will kill SEGA sooner or later, like what they did with Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood, etc, etc (and on that day Sega will be known as EA JAPAN)

-aneep-
aneep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 04:35 AM   #9
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

I think EA and MS are the only two companys that really stand a chance... unless the guys over at MS get a hold of some bad crack, I think in the end they will buy SEGA, it would be a real good boost to their game development. I wouldn't want EA to buy them, for one EA couldn't really support them, look at how many sub companies of EA there is... EA BIG, EA Sports, EA, EA Pacific.... then theres the internation branches... I mean, it would be yay we bough SEGA, now pick up your sevrens(sp?) pay and get the heck out of here.

Currently PLAYING: Oblivion(PC), Rise of Legends Demo (PC), Commandos 2 (PC)

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Renegade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 06:02 AM   #10
ScornedGod
Fanboys,Hurhur!

ARRGH!!!!!
EA and MS would be terrible choices:irked"
EA would f#uck sega up too much
And I don't like MS's monopolistic practices, see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company, , see company,buy company,
Old 05-12-2003, 06:44 AM   #11
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Quote:
ARRGH!!!!!
EA and MS would be terrible choices:irked"
EA would f#uck sega up too much
And I don't like MS's monopolistic practices
Well, I see it this way, if MS hadn't of bought Rare, Nintendo would of layed off some good workers, now those men and women not only have a more stable company (Mircosoft isn't going any where for a good 20 years at least) and they have a nice budget with which to work with. True, MS isn't the best over all company, but when it comes to games, they are really good about letting the developers do what they want and supplying the resources to do them.

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Old 05-12-2003, 08:55 AM   #12
ScornedGod
Fanboys,Hurhur!

Quote:
Originally posted by Renegade X
Well, I see it this way, if MS hadn't of bought Rare, Nintendo would of layed off some good workers, now those men and women not only have a more stable company (Mircosoft isn't going any where for a good 20 years at least) and they have a nice budget with which to work with. True, MS isn't the best over all company, but when it comes to games, they are really good about letting the developers do what they want and supplying the resources to do them.
I'm not sure but wouldn't it have been Rare's fault for laying off the workers(i.e stamper bros.)?They were talented enough to get jobs anyway,but thats not the issue.If MicroSoft simply buy every gaming company they can (which they could do), the result is reduced competiton===crappier games------something I don't wish to happen.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:53 PM   #13
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Quote:
I'm not sure but wouldn't it have been Rare's fault for laying off the workers(i.e stamper bros.)?They were talented enough to get jobs anyway,but thats not the issue.If MicroSoft simply buy every gaming company they can (which they could do), the result is reduced competiton===crappier games------something I don't wish to happen.
I don't really know to be honest, but you see, I really can't get behind anybody whos against mircosoft buying SEGA, because SEGA wants to be bought. Well has Mircosoft bought every game company?? Nope, and their not going to... right now SEGAs best shot is with Mircosoft, SEGA gets a huge bank account and resources to do whatever kind of games they want, Mircosoft benefits in that it gets a company that can help them in the japanese market, it's a perfect deal if you ask me, SEGA need money, Mircosoft needs more first/second party developers. I mean right now Mircosoft is mainly a RTS and Flight Sim game company, but those games are done really really well.

Old 05-12-2003, 02:19 PM   #14
Pilotwings
*can't talk...eating*

Quote:
Originally posted by Renegade X
lay of workers? you pulled that out of your where-no-sun-don't-shine. rare works indepandently up to 1994 when they joined nintendo, nintendo doesn't own the whole company, just halves. microsoft is just desperate, we all know that. they can't win, they buy it.
Pilotwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 02:23 PM   #15
Reality
Sin and Punishment

A couple of point here Renegade X.

If Sega wanted to by bought out the most likely would have done all the years Microsoft tried to. They fact they are looking for companies like Sammy and Namco only tell me they are avoiding buyouts. To me Sega seems to be trying to make it through this with out being lost to someone. I wouldn't want Nintendo buying them. Same for Sony.

Point number 2. They wouldn't get anymore money then what Microsoft says the can have. There is little no no guaranty that they will see the huge banking your talking about.

I don't want Microsoft to buy them. I don't care what they need. I say, if you need something make it yourself. All they are doing is looking for good grounds to make some control. They tried to buy Nintendo, maybe half of all the 3rd parties out there now it's down to Sega.