The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 05-06-2003, 06:39 PM   #1
TheHardware
The Moment..

Nec to make next gamecube

just wondering how everyone feels about Nec doing the hardware for nintendos next game console

these guys have had 3 systems that failed in the us...tg16 and turboduo and turbo express (eventhough i loved em and still have em)

i know they arent makeing the games themselves but dont u think nintendo should create thier own hardware....if anything goes wrong everyone will just blame it all on nec....mario with a computer pc look.....hmmmmm

your thoughts

Old 05-06-2003, 07:19 PM   #2
max powers

nec is a major powerhouse ,i think that this is just what nintendo needs, nec will most likley develope a system with a way more mature look,also all the bells and whistele of ms and sony dvd,online,harddrive and it wont be purpule(lol)and where did u get the impression that nec makes pc-ish graphics ,but that doese not matter ati is making nin graphic chips PUNK
Old 05-06-2003, 08:03 PM   #3
Username

NEC is an extremely high-quality company. Everything they make they usually make the best of that catagory. NEC is also a very stable company with profits as the bottom line.

Also, NEC merged with Mitsubishi thus stretching it's hands across a wide spectrum of hardware.

I think Nintendo wants to consolidate its' hardware so it won't be so random. The Xbox uses a different company for every part. The Gamecube uses about 5 (IBM, ATi, Samsung etc). Much of the PS2's success comes from the fact most of the console is directly connected to Sony.

In conclusion, I'm happy that Nintendo picked NEC.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:06 PM   #4
Tael

Quote:
Originally posted by Username
The Gamecube uses about 5 (IBM, ATi, Samsung etc).
What does Samsung supply for the GameCube?
Tael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:10 PM   #5
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Quote:
Originally posted by Tael
What does Samsung supply for the GameCube?
Nothing, he meant Pannasonic, which makes the mini-DVD for the system. NEC had no real involment in the GC except supplying graphics card, which was developed by ATI, and NEC just manufactor it.
Black Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:02 PM   #6
TheHardware
The Moment..

it makes a lot of sense but is nec also going to develope whateverhandheld nintendo decides to be the sucsessor of the gb advance...hmmmmmm
Old 05-06-2003, 11:59 PM   #7
mackensie
Wise Fool.

NEC failed in marketing, not in hardware development. any company who grasped the idea of a portable game player that did not play dumbed down versions of games (turbo express played the actual tg16 games), clearly knows their hardware. NEC sounds like a great partner.
Love can sweep you off your feet and carry you along in a way you've never known before. But the ride always ends, and you end up feeling lonely and bitter. Wait. It's not love I'm describing. I'm thinking of a monorail.
mackensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:54 AM   #8
Username

I think Samsung provide the RAM.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:44 AM   #9
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Personally, I don't know... I remember NEC being a good hardware company, but it's be a LONG time since I saw a NEC product anywhere.... but again, I'll admit I don't exactly live in the technology capital of the US... I say as long as this give Nintendo more to to work on games and marketing along with keeping the price down, go for it.

Currently PLAYING: Oblivion(PC), Rise of Legends Demo (PC), Commandos 2 (PC)

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Renegade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 07:50 AM   #10
HighlandTWO

Quote:
Originally posted by Renegade X
Personally, I don't know... I remember NEC being a good hardware company, but it's be a LONG time since I saw a NEC product anywhere.... but again, I'll admit I don't exactly live in the technology capital of the US... I say as long as this give Nintendo more to to work on games and marketing along with keeping the price down, go for it.
`

My cellphone is made by nec ....
Old 05-07-2003, 10:16 AM   #11
XzenoGear
TruE_soNy_paTriOt

NEC, made chips for the dreamcast, and i think for the N64. But this is old news.

PSN ID: Xzenogear
XzenoGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 02:44 PM   #12
Hemmorrhoid
Sexmachine

as far as I know they are making the GCN successors processor which is said to outpower the Cell processor (which wont be used for the PS3 anyway) in clockspeed

but thats all rumors
Old 05-07-2003, 10:08 PM   #13
Mr Mort
Giganticus breathalizer

Re: Nec to make next gamecube

Quote:
Originally posted by TheHardware
just wondering how everyone feels about Nec doing the hardware for nintendos next game console

these guys have had 3 systems that failed in the us...tg16 and turboduo and turbo express (eventhough i loved em and still have em)

i know they arent makeing the games themselves but dont u think nintendo should create thier own hardware....if anything goes wrong everyone will just blame it all on nec....mario with a computer pc look.....hmmmmm

your thoughts
The failure of NEC's home consoles really has no bearing on them making hardware for the Nintendo console.

NEC's been producing various PC chips & components for quite some time now. I'm sure things will turn out just fine. Besides, the system itself will be designed by Nintendo, NEC is merely supplying various components.

As for games having "a computer pc look", I wouldn't worry about that either. I'm certain whatever components NEC designs for the system, it/they will be specifically designed for a gaming console.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:15 PM   #14
gearhound1
Banned

nintendo isn't just going to sit around while Nec develops the successor to the cube. nintendo will have a big hand in the development process. as for the next GBA, i will bet money(not really)that it will be created by nintendo.

Last edited by gearhound1; 05-07-2003 at 11:18 PM.
gearhound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:49 PM   #15
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Quote:
Originally posted by gearhound
nintendo isn't just going to sit around while Nec develops the successor to the cube. nintendo will have a big hand in the development process. as for the next GBA, i will bet money(not really)that it will be created by nintendo.
I don't know... after the last two times, I think it might be a good move for Nintendo not to touch the next NConsole(ok, we know it's most likely not gonna be the Gamecube 2, so I figure why not call it the nxe NConsole, it fits more, and you can use NC for short) not doubt they'll keep making GB* forever, but the second they stumble, they'll most likely hand it off as well.

Currently PLAYING: Oblivion(PC), Rise of Legends Demo (PC), Commandos 2 (PC)

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Renegade X is offline   Reply With Quote