The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 05-27-2002, 04:52 AM   #1
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind On PS2?

Gamestop says that this will be coming out for PS2 in December. But it seems to be the only site with news about this.

Your Thoughts?

We seem to have juxtaposed an impasse here.

Last edited by Overlord; 06-08-2002 at 02:30 AM.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 06:28 AM   #2
Alucard

I dont see why they would. The game would be totally ignored on the PS2. Its the total wrong audience for it. Just like Max Payne and Deus Ex were. Only they'll get confused that Morrowind doesn't have flashy 30min FMV sequences every 15min and get bored of the boring game and toss it away.
Thats my thought at least. They should have left the damn game on PC instead of delaying it forever cause of the damn XBox.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 04:38 PM   #3
Yoshi

American developed RPGs...
Old 05-31-2002, 07:10 PM   #4
folken001

Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind On PS2?

Quote:
Originally posted by Overlord
Gamestop says that this will be coming out for PS2 in December. But it seems to be the only site with news about this.

Your Thoughts?
I would tell them not to bother bring that stupid crap over.

I say just get the Narrowind on PC for free!

FFXI Server: Caitsith
lv 75 RNG/PLD/BRD/NIN/MNK, lv 63 WHM(Retired)
folken001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 11:43 PM   #5
Penance
- Sum of all Beers -

Update:

This is from Gameforms.

Quote:
Bethesda Softworks has already announced their handling of the PlayStation 2 port of god sim Black and White, but the company may have other plans for the system. Although Bethesda has yet to make any official statement, online retailer Gamestop lists a PS2 game called Elder Scrolls Adventures with a release date of February 17, 2003.

It's still too early to tell, but if the title is any indication, the game might be an adventure game in the vein of 1998's Redguard rather than a pure RPG like the recently released Morrowind. Gamers may remember PC brand Baldur's Gate was similarly changed for the series' console debut last year.

-w0rd!
Penance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 01:01 PM   #6
King Takacs

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoshi
American developed RPGs...

heh i agree with that, but i'm forcing myself to play Morrowind. It's not too bad but it can't compete with a well developed Jap RPG.
Old 07-05-2002, 01:32 PM   #7
HFIL

I don't think the ps2 can handle marrowind.. well yeah they could lower polycounts and such.. but whatever.. doesn't seem worth the effort...

and Black and White was supposed to be an xbox exclusive.. so I wonder how credible any of this news is... Although ps2 may just be getting a direct port...
cause the xbox version is suposed to be more controlling the monster from third person perspective... instead of using the hand...
Old 07-05-2002, 03:26 PM   #8
Jagt_Mirage

Quote:
Originally posted by King Takacs

heh i agree with that, but i'm forcing myself to play Morrowind. It's not too bad but it can't compete with a well developed Jap RPG.
Heh.. you should tell it to this guy on r.g.v.sony. He was absolutely livid that Gamespot only gave Morrowind an 85 while the same reviewer gave FFX a 93. In fact he was cursing and screaming so much that the Gamespot reviewer actually showed up to tell him off.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:32 PM   #9
ShoeBuffer

I Will Rent it, see if i like it or not. Yeah i know its not really a "rent" game but........ i hear its pretty good.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:18 AM   #10
Tashi Tashi

Different game

I don't think it's the same Morrowind on Xbox and PC. There is a 3rd person action/RPG game called RedGuard: Elder Scrolls Adventures or something like that, that came out for PC in '99 I think. I believe PS2 is getting an updated version of THIS game, and not the current Morrowind on Xbox.

D'oh! I didn't see Penances' post.

Last edited by Tashi Tashi; 07-17-2002 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:31 AM   #11
Tashi Tashi

Can western style RPGs compete?

Alucard has a point. King's Field has its share of fans, but it was never really popular. Some great to good western style RPGs I've played on PS2 include, Drakan (sort of an RPG) Legend of Alon D'ar, Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land and Baldur's Gate. The thing is all these games were very PC like. I just don't think western style RPGs will catch up with the popularity of Japanese ones on a console. I don't think even the famed and hyped Project Ego will overtake a FF, Xenosaga or a Star Ocean.

I thought with the power of the new consoles, Japanese and western RPG styles would make a nice hybrid mix. While I enjoyed all the ones I mentioned above, it appears that they will remain two distinct camps. But if I had to pick, give me a Japanese RPG any day.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:39 AM   #12
Alucard

When it comes to what sotr of RPGs are to be played, you will never convince one party to play another style. I enjoy both style, American/European RPGS and also Japanese RPGs.
It's basically 2 styles of games. Non-linear with character driven and stats driven game, compared to flashy CG linear gameplay and little character gen.

While I adore games like Suikoden, Star Ocean and Xenosaga, I still wont find replacements for games like Fallout 2, Morrowind, Planescape Torment. I'll happily trade flashy CG scenes to being able to create my character as I see fit and experience much more story. But thats just me. Fallout2 is one of the best games out there.

Keep the games on their own platforms. Having to wait an extra few months for Morrowind to come out cause they wanted the XBox port to come at the same time almost drove me crazy.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:35 AM   #13
Seska

WEll, I wouldn't say that Japanese style RPG games have less or more story than PC ones. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the best thing Japanese style RPGs have to offer are the plot. At least, it was the story that made me continue playing FFX when the combat was getting tedious and repetitive.

The only BIG difference between Japanese RPGs and PC RPGs is that Japanese RPGs are HORRIBLY linear. The only Non-linear stuff in JApanese RPGs usually comes like 2 hours before you finish the game, when you get an airship and can do some exploring to do a handful of sidequests before facing the final boss.

PC Rpgs like Fallout, Baldurs Gate, NWN and Morrowind give you the choice of doing what you want (to a limited extent) while still maintaining a strong focus on the plot.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:52 AM   #14
hgblob

Quote:
Originally posted by Seska
The only BIG difference between Japanese RPGs and PC RPGs is that Japanese RPGs are HORRIBLY linear. The only Non-linear stuff in JApanese RPGs usually comes like 2 hours before you finish the game, when you get an airship and can do some exploring to do a handful of sidequests before facing the final boss.

PC Rpgs like Fallout, Baldurs Gate, NWN and Morrowind give you the choice of doing what you want (to a limited extent) while still maintaining a strong focus on the plot.
I don't see anything horrible about linear RPGs, as I think that you need linearity if you want to be able to tell a full story, and if you want to establish a solid personality for your characters.

Fallout and Planescape seem to be a couple of RPGs that were able to maintain a good balance between linearity and non-linearity. But I disagree about Morrowind.

Morrowind has, to my experience so far with the game, sacrificed storytelling for pure freedom to roam the world. Nothing wrong with allowing the player to go wherever he/she chooses; in fact, I think this is one of the biggest draws of the game. However, as far as imparting the main plot to the player... Morrowind does this rather poorly. The characterisation of your PC is poor as well. No matter what class you choose, whatever your stats. whatever race, colour, or creed your PC is, all that have little bearing in Morrowind. At least in Fallout, if you were smart, you'd get extra conversation options. In Morrowind? Nothing of the sort at all.

Non-linearity has its draws, but it takes away a lot from story and character depth.
hgblob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 10:01 AM   #15
Alucard

The thing about Morrowind is that the plot is fairly simple. So that doesn't really show that its a bad example of non-linear gameplay. The whole purpose of the game was to make a huge interactive world. Basically like an MMORPG where you could go about and do your quests and such, while also doing the main story. While roaming you could find many many books or people who could tell you about the history of Morrowind and certain stories that happened in the past, so that the world would come more to life.
In this aspect I find Morrowind did extremely well. It fleshed out the world nicely. It gave you plenty to do. All the while having a simple story. It doesn't have heaps of plot twists or anything like that. Its the standard fair fantasy game. As far as games reacting to what sort of character you had, thats extremely rare. I think Fallout 2 was one of the few that could do this. I wish they'd lift their act and bring out the third one already.