The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 05-25-2002, 06:04 PM   #1
folken001

No remakes from Square?!

According to the interview RPGfan.com had with Square during E3, Square stated that remakes of FF7-9 were pure rumor.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2002/1501.html

That is a big disappointment for me. I remembered clearly it was Square who announced that it would release the remakes FF7-9 along with the announcement of two different version of FFX. (Normal standard version and the HDTV, 5.1 surround sound which was later canceled) How can Square now say it was only a rumor?

Tell me it is not true!?

FFXI Server: Caitsith
lv 75 RNG/PLD/BRD/NIN/MNK, lv 63 WHM(Retired)
folken001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 06:24 PM   #2
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

Cause

Last time I heard, Square put the remakes on a backburner. They just didn't have enough money after the movie. But they did talk about it. But I don't think that they said it was ever official. If it was at E3, maybe it was only Square US talknig. Square in Japan might have other plans.

We seem to have juxtaposed an impasse here.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 06:30 PM   #3
folken001

Re: Cause

Quote:
Originally posted by Overlord
Last time I heard, Square put the remakes on a backburner. They just didn't have enough money after the movie. But they did talk about it. But I don't think that they said it was ever official. If it was at E3, maybe it was only Square US talknig. Square in Japan might have other plans.
Hopefully, what you said is true. I am dying to play those remakes. I have been waiting for them since more than 1 year ago.

Old 05-25-2002, 06:37 PM   #4
Black Sugar
put some sugar on top...

Truthfully, I hope Square doesn't make any remake. Let them be and focus on the future not on the past.

I feel that this is becoming much of a trend with no end to this. I can understand port or remix games on GBA such as Chrono Trigger or FFT but aside this exception , they should not waist money on games who was released less then 10 yrs ago.
Black Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 06:55 PM   #5
folken001

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Bahamut
Truthfully, I hope Square doesn't make any remake. Let them be and focus on the future not on the past.

I feel that this is becoming much of a trend with no end to this. I can understand port or remix games on GBA such as Chrono Trigger or FFT but aside this exception , they should not waist money on games who was released less then 10 yrs ago.
To me, FF7 is cloest to the perfection that any RPG can be. However, aerith's death really ruin the experience. FF8 and FF9 had their own flaws. As epic such as FF, I hope Square would fix the bugs and problems in the remakes. At least, I hope.....

Old 05-25-2002, 08:33 PM   #6
Bookbagninja

Quote:
Originally posted by folken001

As epic such as FF, I hope Square would fix the bugs and problems in the remakes. At least, I hope.....
Heck no. The flaws and such made the games what they were. They should just learn from those games and continue making the new ones better and better. That's the best move, in my opinion.

I don't like the idea of remaking all these games to death. Focus on new games and not old news.
Bookbagninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 04:50 PM   #7
Yoshi

FF 7-9 were three of the worst RPGs Square has ever made. Lock them up and throw away the key. Where's my FFT sequel?
Old 05-27-2002, 09:27 PM   #8
typexig
-Drifter-

this sucks..=( i was hoping they make a remake of ff7 and ff8.. but did they say anyother game that they'll do a remake of beside of ff series? cuz i really really want Square to remake Einhander..i think that game is one of those games thats really great but people look past it..ohhh... are they still doing those spin-off games for ff series?..=)

-Xig-

-drifter-
typexig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 10:49 PM   #9
Wolf of Mibu

The whole interview is either fabricated or inaccurate. Almost everything they said was BS. Hell they even said FFXI wasnt coming out in the US when Square CONFIRMED that it was...
Old 05-29-2002, 10:56 PM   #10
Wolf of Mibu

The whole interview is either fabricated or inaccurate. Almost everything they said was BS. Hell they even said FFXI wasnt coming out in the US when Square CONFIRMED that it was...
Old 05-30-2002, 02:08 AM   #11
Solid Soul VX

I agree that Square should just focus on the future and not on remakes. I wouldnt mind the remake but i would rather spend my money on new games with a lot more new stuff.
Old 05-30-2002, 04:21 AM   #12
Seska

Remakes, sequels and spinoffs are a clear sign that the videogames industry is becoming as stagnated as Hollywood. I for one am glad Square is ignoring remakes for now. I'd MUCH rather they made a fresh new RPG concept, like they did a few years back with Vagrant. Nobody expected it, and it was great.

Nowadays all the big titles are sequels. FF, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Silent Hill, Resident Evil. Everything is a bloody franchise. HEll, theya re even dragging Shinobi and Ninja Gaiden out of their graves to remake them.

Now dont get me wrong, Ill enjoy these games and play them like any other person, but the kind of glee you get at playing something fresh like Vagrant was at its time, is a rare experience these days. I wish developers would focus on creating new experiences, not just rehashing old ones.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:37 AM   #13
ATMA
Gamer junkie

Good point there,But remakes are also chances for the next gen of gamers to play these games,But i think they should focus more on new games/new projects!
Old 06-02-2002, 06:16 AM   #14
broken silence

i don't understand why you guys want a remake of FF7-9
all of them were 3D and were great the way they are
what i think that they should remake is FF6(FF3 in the usa)
i would love to see it in 3D with voices
it was the best FF after all wasn't it ?
think about it FF6 in full 3D with voices
Old 06-02-2002, 01:19 PM   #15
Rubeus

Quote:
Originally posted by Seska
Remakes, sequels and spinoffs are a clear sign that the videogames industry is becoming as stagnated as Hollywood. I for one am glad Square is ignoring remakes for now. I'd MUCH rather they made a fresh new RPG concept, like they did a few years back with Vagrant. Nobody expected it, and it was great.
Don't mix up spinoffs and remakes together, they are two totally different things.

Spinoffs are "follow-ups" but remakes are just a clone of the original game, no real enhancements.

Personally I am really looking forward to the Final Fantasy spinoffs, it is such a big waste for Square to leave each installment of FF as it is -- without making any followup on each one. FFX is such a beautiful game, I bet a lot of people are looking forward to sequels of that game.

Spinoffs don't necessary have no unique concepts, it may even bring in surprises because now the developer can focus on specific areas that are proven popular in the original game.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote