The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 02-10-2018, 03:35 AM   #1
Rubeus

PS4 Pro FW 5.5 Will Make Big Graphical Improvements For 1080p / Non-4K Users

I heard PS4 PRO is in shortage because a lot of people are buying for Monster Hunter World.

Quote:
PS4 Pro Will Make Big Graphical Improvements For 1080p / Non-4K Users, Here's How

Along with Sony's upcoming version 5.5 firmware update for the PlayStation 4, PS4 Pro owners that aren't on 4K televisions will be getting a significant graphical enhancement: supersample anti-aliasing (SSAA). PS4 Pro consoles will soon be able to leverage its extra power for non-4K displays and force SSAA when it outputs a 1080p resolution. This will be an option users have to enable manually, and it has been put into action with mostly positive results.

SSAA is a form of anti-aliasing that forces a game to render a higher resolution then downscale it to fit the proper screen resolution. The result is a smoother picture with less "jaggies" since you're essentially getting a shrunken version of a finer image. According Eurogamer's Digital Foundry, the PS4 Pro will act as if its connected to a 4K display and work to downscale the improved image to 1080p. While there are a few games that offer benefits with 1080p displays, some games (such as Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain) would lock out 1080p users from accessing any PS4 Pro benefits; an example of the inconsistency of the enhancements from the more powerful console. This will not be the case anymore with the new anti-aliasing option.

Digital Foundry was able to put this to the test and rounded up some early results. One example is Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection, which now supersamples a 4K image for 1080p, instead of locking itself to 1080p. The game also runs at a locked 30 FPS regardless of resolution, so there's now some benefit for non-4K-ers. The Last of Us Remastered now gives 1080p users the option for supersampling instead of only offering the 60 FPS improvement (but not both).

Click for full size

However, it's not a perfect solution for all games. For example, The Last Guardian offers a stable 30 FPS at 1080p, while the 4K enhancement can cause frame drops to around 20 FPS. Since PS4 Pro supersampling essentially imitates the Pro-enhanced resolution available, the potential frame drops translate as well. The same goes for Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, a game where framerate is arguably more important than resolution; its 4K option doesn't offer as stable a framerate as it would at 1080p.

Keep in mind that games are still subject to the specific PS4 Pro enhancements. The 5.5 firmware update simply gives you access to the finer image quality that 4K users get, but in the form of antialiasing at 1080p. Whether or not it works well will be on a game-by-game basis, but the bottom line is that PS4 Pro users will have more options, regardless of the display they use. Firmware 5.5 for the PlayStation 4 is currently in beta testing and there's no word on when the final version releases.

If you're not entirely clear on the concept of anti-aliasing, or supersampling specifically, make sure you check out our explanation of all the different types of anti-aliasing and how they work.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps.../1100-6456684/
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
Nem
Smash bro!

Huh... if it makes the FPS tank, i'm not really interested in turning it on.

For me, it's always FPS > Resolution.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
Drunken Savior

Nice to have options. But I'm with Nem, FPS over graphical fidelity 99% of the time. But there are some games where I don't mind suffering FPS over graphics, especially good AA (i.e. Supersampling), like XCOM, so long as it's within reason.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:16 PM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
With my pro, I always put the options for better performance, like Ni-Oh has that option of better graphics or better FPS, to be honest, I didn't notice much of a difference other than the MASSIVE SLOW DOWNS in some spots and I do have a 4k TV.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
Drunken Savior

4K is so 2015 Spider, do you have HDR?

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
It does! I do admit, the HDR is nice, makes me feel like I'm in the futureeeeeeeee!
Old 02-12-2018, 02:07 AM   #7
Rubeus

That means I need to get a PS4 Pro? I bought a 4K HDR TV two months ago.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
spider-prime

You don't need it, but I got one cause I got 350 dollars off of it.

But, some games do run a bit better on it than on a normal PS4. I noticed less slow down in certain games when I tried them both systems, and these games I'm talking about are the ones that don't use the pro at all. Obviously the ones made to run on it run a lot better over it.