The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
Rubeus

Gran Turismo Sport is barely functional when offline

That sucks, I was going to buy the game but now I have to rethink.

Click for full size

Quote:
Gran Turismo Sport is barely functional when offline

Offline players beware

Always online DRM has been a hot topic for years now. While I can understand wanting to combat piracy, putting such a stipulation mostly hurts legitimate buyers when server issues crop up. Gran Turismo Sport looks to be the next game that suffers when offline, since playing without internet limits you to only arcade mode with no ability to save. Just let that last bit sink in.

So say you run out and grab your copy today (something I will be doing soon), but there is some issue with your ISP that prevents you from connecting to the internet. Well, I guess you won't be doing much with you brand new, fully priced game. Campaign mode, buying new cars, viewing your garage, car livery editing and even taking photos won't be available to you. At least you can play split-screen...and have limited VR use...

To be fair, Sony did warn about this on their blog last month. As they stated, "GT Sport will require an Internet connection for the majority of functionality." Apparently, though, the requirement was, "to ensure that progress, car availability, and driver ratings are properly maintained at all times."

Part of that also has to do with the FIA, which is the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile. They are a global organization that runs and maintains world motorsport and have partnered with Polyphony Digital to ensure that GT Sport is as accurate as possible. I guess to reach that level of integrity means that people with crappy internet connections just have to suffer.

So if you don't have the best internet around or really want to play GT Sport while in an RV at a race track, you're gonna be out of luck. Hopefully the rest of the game holds up, because this restriction is already causing some alarm bells to ring for me.

https://www.destructoid.com/gran-tur...e-467480.phtml
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #2
Hagane
Unlucky dog

Hating this new business plan where they want to force you go online if you want to enjoy the full experience of your damn game.

It brings to my mind a recent note (wich merits to be published here) about EA dismantling Visceral games when they were working on a Star Wars title heavily focused on single player and an elaborated story. Long story short EA felt they wouldn't be able to be greedy with this one because without online components they wouldn't shove all their dlc, microtransactions and loot boxes garbage that sadly polute our games nowadays.

And this feels like, well:
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
Nem
Smash bro!

Did you miss Activisions new trademark for a match-making algorythm that pitches people with DLC versus those that don't have it so they feel like they need buy to catch up?

Yup, videogame publishers are out of control. It seems that the lootbox issue has reached the UK's parlament, wich is great news as this issue can get the atention and regulation it needs to protect consumers from these greedy companies.

With that said, Sony had a partial excuse for this one. It was a way to ensure people couldn't cheat because it's a FIA aproved E-sports game.

People who don't care about it should be able to opt out though. Because in a few years when they close the servers, you might aswell wipe your arse with the disk.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
Hagane
Unlucky dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
Did you miss Activisions new trademark for a match-making algorythm that pitches people with DLC versus those that don't have it so they feel like they need buy to catch up?
Actually I did.

The BS in the industry is taking such giant steps that's difficult to keep up with their new and exciting ways of how to squeze the last cent of consumers to the point where back when we were laughing at how microsoft wanted to have complete control over people consoles with all the restrictions we are looking at the present and such things are becoming real.

Wouldn't be too surprised if all of that gets established as something perfectly normal on the next generation and even more sadly people will be ok with that as we now are looking how a lot of them supports all the crap the companies are putting on with limiting the content.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
lol I would LOVE to see the people who fall that type of "marketing" THEY HAVE IT, SO I MUST TOO! lol what a joke.

It's the little kid mentality, they must get what their friends have so they seem "cool" to everyone.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:30 AM   #6
Rubeus

Does Need for Speed Payback also require always online? If not maybe I get that one instead.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
Nem
Smash bro!

Like giving money to EA is any better...

Heck... i hate them for having lied to Wii U owners but at this point Project cars 2 may be the best bet for simulation racing. Forza is good but littered with lootboxes so...
Old 10-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
Rubeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
Like giving money to EA is any better...

Heck... i hate them for having lied to Wii U owners but at this point Project cars 2 may be the best bet for simulation racing. Forza is good but littered with lootboxes so...
At least Need For Speed Payback supports single player offline play, EA learned their lesson last year, so online requirement for single player gets pulled out.

Quote:
OFFLINE SINGLE PLAYER!!!

EA has caught a lot of flack for requiring many of its games be always online. The 2015 Need for Speed reboot, in particular, was panned for requiring even the single player experience to be online, causing quite a bit of performance loss and bugs, not to mention the fact that if your internet goes down you just can’t play at all.

It looks like EA has learned their lesson as the single player experience for Payback will no longer need the player to be online. Multiplayer will still require it, for obvious reasons, but you’ll be able to play Payback by yourself in the middle of the desert for as long as your battery lasts.

https://www.thegamer.com/need-for-sp...hings-we-hate/
Old 10-21-2017, 11:22 PM   #9
Joe Redifer
Olι!

Always online is a dumb idea. So are games with no robust single player mode.

If you disagree with either of those statements, you are wrong.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote