The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 08-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Rubeus

PS3 Jailbreak available, play games off USB hard drives

Sony is probably working on a patch to get rid of the security hole

http://www.maxconsole.net/content.ph...-to-hard-drive

Quote:
According to multiple sources, it seems as if the PS3 has been 'hacked' with a new commercial USB Device called the 'PS Jailbreak'. This seems like the modern day 'HD Loader' and will allow owners to dump all original PS3 games onto a FAT32 hard drive and play the game entirely from there. There is an official website for the product, a retailer has released a couple of videos of it, plus a number of 'hackers' have confirmed it is the real deal. Although there is still the chance that it doesn't perform as expected, so keep an open mind. This is surely a major blow to Sony as the device is apparently plug n' play and works on the latest firmware. *Update* - More details revealed including claims that it will run games 2x faster than Blu-ray, support homebrew and will be fully updateable - a second video has just been released too. All the details inside!

So here's what we know:

Other Hacker talk

Hacker Xorloser has indicated that it is a device that turns the PS3 into a debug unit essentially. This is why it allows people to install and play games from the hard drive.

The likes of Mathieulh have been talking about this and indicate that perhaps it uses illegal code from the PS3 SDK, hence why it works.

The product description and FAQ from various websites:

Q: What firmware version does PS JailBreak it work on?
A. It apparently works on a couple of old firmware verisons, but it was designed for the latest firmware version 3.41

Q. Does PS Jailbreak allow you to dump ps2 games, ps1 game, Blu ray movies?
A. No, just PS3 games.

Q. Does PS JailBreak allow every game to work?
A. Apparently 150 games have been tested, and they all work. If a game happens to have 1 file over 4gb the program will not be able to rip the game onto the harddrive. Apparently the worl around is to dump it on an internal hardrive

Q. Can I still play online with PS Jailbreak?
A. When today (19.08.2010) you can, we can't guarantee you will never be banned for using the 3rd party device.

Q. Can Sonly block this with firmware updates?
A. Probably. The have have the USb dongle firmware upgradable, but you can never predict the future. This is made to work with 3.41. If you happen to download an install an update which is higher then this then it is your doing. We will not accept stock back as "faulty" if you have upgraded your firmware.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

It was a good run sony. The PS3 put up more of a fight than all the others combined.

Though fat32...the space issue there is going to be the only real problem. Why not ExFat?
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Never ever buy anything like this, they can't be trusted.

If you have bought something with the PSN and have your Credit card stored, there might be code it in it that will phish your number. That's just for example. They could just steal your PSN account with your downloaded games.

When the thing you're buying is for crooked reasons, don't believe one second that you can't get screwed over in the end.

Plus there are people already saying it's fake cause they use a old debug console to do it and not an official retail PS3.

They might just steal your money and zip it on out of there.

and plus, what backups? I download roms and stuff sometimes, matters the game, but I have never seen any site claim they have PS3 backups
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post

If you have bought something with the PSN and have your Credit card stored, there might be code it in it that will phish your number. That's just for example. They could just steal your PSN account with your downloaded games.
How?

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Quote:

When the thing you're buying is for crooked reasons, don't believe one second that you can't get screwed over in the end.

Plus there are people already saying it's fake cause they use a old debug console to do it and not an official retail PS3.

and plus, what backups? I download roms and stuff sometimes, matters the game, but I have never seen any site claim they have PS3 backups
you haven't? I have. Quite a lot, it's just that no one can do anything with them. There are ISO dumps of PS3 games everywhere, but up until now, they've been useless for anything other than finding out large the games actually were.

Also, 15-30 gig downloads for each game, jesus.

But presumably this isn't something that you would buy, it's something that they would release, and you would use a generic USB stick to run off of. People who do these sorts of cracks usually don't charge for them as that brings the hammer of the law down on them even harder.

~So Should You~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Old 08-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
How?
it's in the code. Just like, CRACKED VERSION OF NERO 10! DOWNLOAD NOW, and guess what it contains a virus that will send the info of your form data/cookies back to the virus maker.

but yah, from all the rom and emulator sites I go to, I haven't seen any. But I haven't checked in a while, cause the only roms I get are really old stuff and I got those a long time ago. I own the games I want from PS2 and up.

Not all "illegal things" have viruses duh, but from my experience most certain ones do.

Like have you seen some hacks for games, like counter-strike, PUT THIS FILE IN THE SYSTEM32 FOLDER, CHANGE FILE NAME TO somewindowskeyfile.exe AND IT SHOULD WORK

lol how dumb are people lol

basically I'm just saying, it's not from a trusted place, you can't trust something when they offer something that's too good to be true. Cause usually it is too good to be true. From the price of it, I can see them getting 300 people to order it and then disappear. so at 150 USD, they just made 45000 dollars off of nothing.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Ah, so it IS a mod chip. I thought it was just a dongle.

~So Should You~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Old 08-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
spider-prime

aw that makes more sense.

But how long do these guys think they're going to last tho. lol I can't wait to see how fast sony sues them for going public EVERYWHERE with this.
If you ever try to sell illegal things you have to be hush hush about it. Look at the R4 and all flash carts.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

That's the thing though, sony doesn't have legal ground to go after the people making the modchip. Just like emulators, Modchips are perfectly legal to buy, own and use. The moment you start pirating games is when you shift into the illegal.

It's the same as using a custom card to emulate or duplicate an SLI connection on your PC. It's not illegal to do that even though it goes against the wishes of your motherboard and graphics card developer. But if you flashed that card with an NVIDIA 9600GT firmware, THEN it's illegal for copywrite issues (plus that would fuck your computer).

When Nintendo went after stores selling r4's, they did so because they were selling them telling people that you could use it to pirate DS games. It was endorsing piracy. But you can still buy R4's in China and Japan (though they are TOUGH to find in japan).

But now Sony has to play the firmware game, which sucks for everyone else because they've already prove that they have no idea what they're doing with their firmware updates. They don't push, you HAVE to watch them download unless you load it onto a USB stick and it seems there's one every 3 weeks. Everytime I get the urge to play my PS3, there's almost always a new update for it, and usually it's just something stupid like restructuring home or the PSN marketplace.

And now that will happen even more often, which blows.

~So Should You~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Old 08-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
Alucard

Stop downloading from dodgy places spider. Also this should work pretty well with the arcade downloadable games.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
spider-prime

NEVER!

yah but they are marketing that they can play "backups" of the games. They will find some way to stop them in a legal battle. All companies do. I knew the guy who made the MMObot for WoW, he actually thought he was going to win against them. Blizzard found a way to shut him up.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #12
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Criminals!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:23 AM   #13
Alucard

The bot is different. You're screwing with their code which is off limits.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
spider-prime

well so does this.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
Badrats Studio
Hate it or Love it ヽ(•̀ω•́ )ゝ✧

Location: Medan, Sumatera Utara, Republic Indonesia, South-East Asia
Quote:

This.
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy IX [PS1] - /random shit [PS3]
Badrats Studio is offline   Reply With Quote