The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 04-30-2017, 11:13 PM   #1
Rubeus

Sony hits 60 million PS4 shipments as it closes in on the PS3's 80 million

Meanwhile rumor stated that Sony will announce plans about PS5 when Xbox Scorpio launches, PS5 should arrive in Xmas 2018 - early 2019.

Quote:
Sony hits 60 million PS4 shipments as it closes in on the PS3's 80 million

They expect to push 18 million more in the next year

It's fascinating to look back and see the lifetime sales of every console. I totally forgot that the PS2 is still ahead of everything -- it's not even close -- as it towers over the number two spot, the PS1, by over 50 million (PS2 is at 155m versus the PS1's 102m). Then comes the Wii at 101m, the Xbox 360 (remember how powerful Microsoft was last generation?), and the PS3.

The PS4 is steadily climbing on that chart, as Sony has announced that the PS4 has shipped 60 million as of the end of March 2017. From April 1 through that same time in 2018 (its fiscal year) Sony is aiming to ship 18 million more, which would skyrocket it above the NES, currently sitting just above it at around 62m in sales, and the 3DS, which is at roughly 66 million. If Sony hits their 2018 target the PS4 will already be the 10th best selling gaming device of all time, with more room to grow.

With this curve it's possible that we'll see a longer console lifecycle with the PS4. Especially so, if they're sticking to the "Pro" style of delivering iterative devices rather than a full blown PS5. I guess we'll have to see how much the Scorpio changes the landscape, if at all.

https://www.destructoid.com/sony-hit...n-433478.phtml
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 12:56 AM   #2
Drunken Savior

I swear to god, if the next gen isn't backwards capable...

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:07 AM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Hopefully it will be. I like the idea of not worrying about keeping a console if the newer ones play the old stuff.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
Hagane
Unlucky dog

I really doubt they'll release the next console this soon.

The PS3 lasted almost a decade and the PS4 is only half road and with the release of high powered versions of the console it's a waste to cut that investment short.

Also doubtful Scorpio will change things up if Microsoft keeps killing the reason for owning a console.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
sonnylam

I heard that ps5 release can be held in 2018, cause they expected to sell about 60mil of ps4 consoles, and the number is almost reached)