The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 02:10 AM   #1
Rubeus

Sony shuts down PlayStation Now for PS Vita, PS3, PSTV and TVs

The Xbox One backward compatibility is killing this, Sony should get PS3 emulator running on PS4 instead.

Quote:
Sony is shifting PlayStation Now to PS4 and PC only -- Disable auto-renewal for the service as needed

Have you ever messed with Sony's game-streaming service PlayStation Now?

I've considering it a few times, but always seem to back away once I take a few seconds to think about the pricing model and get out of impulse-buy (or in this case, impulse-rental) mode. If you've wanted to try the service, your time might be limited -- Sony has announced plans to discontinue PlayStation Now support for all currently-supported devices other than PlayStation 4 and Windows PCs.

As of August 15, 2017, these devices will no longer run PlayStation Now:

- PlayStation 3
- PlayStation Vita and PlayStation TV
- All 2013, 2014, 2015 Sony Bravia TV models
- All Sony Blu-ray player models
- All Samsung TV models

2016 Sony Bravia TVs aren't safe, either. They'll lose Now support weirdly ahead of everything else on April 1, 2017. If you're currently signed up for the service, make sure auto-renewal is off, because Sony isn't going to disable automated billing here. You'll have to be proactive and take that first step.

Sony's reasoning for the discontinuation isn't all that clear, leaving room for speculation. The official blurb is: "After thoughtful consideration, we decided to shift our focus and resources to PS4 and Windows PC to further develop and improve the user experience on these two devices. This move puts us in the best position to grow the service even further. If you use any of the above devices, we want to give our heartfelt thanks for your support, and we hope you'll continue with us. Remember that all of your PS Now cloud game saves can easily be accessed on both PS4 and Windows PC."

I have to assume the numbers for those other devices just didn't make sense for Sony relative to the larger PS4 and PC audience of Now users, but still, poor Vita. Guy can't catch a break! It'd be nice if, given the shift in focus, more games -- say the PS1 and PS2 libraries -- became available.

https://www.destructoid.com/sony-is-...y-418940.phtml
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I would love it if they bought back real b/c for PS3 on PS4.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
RYU

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
I would love it if they bought back real b/c for PS3 on PS4.
for free 100% no way
Old 02-17-2017, 07:21 PM   #4
Hagane
Unlucky dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU View Post
for free 100% no way
Yeah.

Why would they pass up the oportunity of selling you again the games that you already own? That's just dumb.

Never been interested in the ps now service because it required a super stable, fast and unbreakable connection otherwise you're screwed.

So to sum up no big loss there.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:54 PM   #5
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagane View Post
Yeah.

Why would they pass up the oportunity of selling you again the games that you already own? That's just dumb.

Never been interested in the ps now service because it required a super stable, fast and unbreakable connection otherwise you're screwed.

So to sum up no big loss there.
I agree. Streaming a video game is a great concept idea but it's real world uses are restricted. You'd have to live in major cities with the best Internet lines to make particle use. Maybe in 60 more years an entire country could be ready for such a tech but that'll depend on AT&T after they bought out all the competition.