The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 01-06-2017, 01:49 AM   #1
Rubeus

Princess Leia Was Going to Play a Large Role in Star Wars: Episode IX

Going all CG with Princess Leia is an option.

Click for full size

Quote:
Princess Leia Was Going to Play a Large Role in Star Wars: Episode IX

Reportedly, Lucasfilm and Episode IX director Colin Trevorrow will meet soon to discuss their options moving forward.

According to The Hollywood Reporter’s sources, Leia had two key scenes planned out for Episodes VIII and IX, and they’re both pretty much what you’d expect (and want): a reunion with her brother, Luke, and a confrontation with her son, Kylo Ren. There’s no word on which, if either of these were scripted for Episode VIII, which Carrie Fisher had finished filming before her death, or were planned for the ninth Saga film.

However, The Hollywood Reporter also claims that Leia was going to have a larger role in the ninth movie than the eighth. That backs up a December 30 report about the amount Disney might get as a result of an insurance policy taken out if Fisher couldn’t finish filming on Star Wars. Plus, it seems likely to me that if one of those scenes was in Episode VIII, it would be the brother-sister reunion.

Trevorrow, who is writing and directing Episode IX, is set to meet with Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy next week to talk through what to do. It seems like the options are a) write Leia out, either by death or by some convenience or b) create a CG Leia, like they did for Rogue One. The latter isn’t going to be without controversy, since it barely worked for the cameo there and, to many, it still feels wrong to resurrect dead actors this way. The former leaves us with either conveniently putting Leia out of touch with the main storyline or having her die, in-universe. But I have to say, an off-screen death also seems like a poor way for Leia to go out.

There’s really no good option here and decisions have to be made by people still grieving.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/princess-leia...-wa-1790796565
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 03:28 AM   #2
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Peter Cushing was done pretty well for Rogue One I thought. Can't really judge the Leia one because it was literally about 3 secs.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:03 AM   #3
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001 View Post
Peter Cushing was done pretty well for Rogue One I thought. Can't really judge the Leia one because it was literally about 3 secs.
I honestly think that as long as the audience member knows something can't be real (e.g. "This can't be real because Carrie Fisher doesn't look like that now!"), they won't accept CG characters as natural. That is, they will always find the uncanny valley.

I saw Rogue One with a bunch of people who weren't massive cinephiles or Star Wars fans and they had no idea that Tarkin was CG. When I asked them what they thought of the CG character, they mentioned Leia of course, but not Peter Cushing's Tarkin. I'm guessing because they weren't really sure who Peter Cushing was or really remembered who Tarkin was (again, not major cinephiles nor Star Wars aficionados), they didn't really feel the need to suspect anything when Tarkin came on screen.

In regards to Episode IX, there is no option that will satisfy everyone. I don't envy those folks. Whether they make a CG Leia, recast the role, or write her out, it'll feel abrupt and sudden and noticeable because the audience is now looking for what they'll do. I'm honestly ok with a CG Leia as well. For Rogue One, they got the blessing of both Fisher herself and the Cushing Estate and did both characters justice, I thought. Nowadays, CG characters don't take me out of the film anymore than CG, in general, takes me out of the film.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:04 PM   #4
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

This was the golden chance to try the Turing test out on 7billion people, now they have ruined it. Unless Harrison ford died in his toy copper plane?

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I wasn't a fan of the CG. It stood out for me quiet a bit. Tarkin was done okay but I can tell how different he looked rest of the cast. Leia CG was just really ugly. They should have left her out of the movie.
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinful Sam View Post
I wasn't a fan of the CG. It stood out for me quiet a bit. Tarkin was done okay but I can tell how different he looked rest of the cast. Leia CG was just really ugly. They should have left her out of the movie.
Yeah she looked like benders mates from futurama crossed with mudkip

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
Makarachi23

I feel the CG effects in modern time are good enough to pull it off effectively, however it just wouldn't be authentic.
Makarachi23 is offline   Reply With Quote