The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 12-12-2016, 04:08 AM   #1
BattalionBarry

Nintendo Classic Feedback

Hey

I’m a massive fan of Nintendo ever since The Game and Watch handhelds from the 80s. I had a NES and SNES too. I spent so much time playing the likes of Super Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart during college years. I would definitely have done better at school if it wasn’t for the arrival of these consoles while I was studying– would probably have been more successful with girls too ;)

So I’m pretty stoked about the Nintendo Classic. It seems like a great idea – portable, easy to use and with tons of classics like Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mega Man 2, PAC-MAN, FINAL FANTASY and Metroid. All games that I absolutely loved the first time I played them. I found a good website where I can pick up a Nintendo Classic - http://www.forsale.co.za/ but am wondering whether the games have stood the test of time or will I just get bored of them as I realise that they are nowhere near as good as my memory seems to think.

Has anyone picked one up? Is it a good idea or do you think it will just end up sitting in the corner once I’ve played it a few times?

Thanks!

Last edited by BattalionBarry; 12-28-2016 at 11:00 PM.
BattalionBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
If you have played and beat the hell out of the games in it, like I have, it will end up sitting in your room for centuries.

The cords are extremely short, if you have your TV up where I have it, you will end up have it daggling from the TV just so you can play it.

The best cheapest option is just to get a longer USB cord for the plug and longer HDMI cause it doesn't seem like Nintendo wants to release extension cords for it. It's meant to be played at your feet while you sit on the ground, which you can't even do the way they made it.

But overall, it plays great, the feel of having to play the original NES controller, that is new and doesn't have sticky buttons is awesome. So I do hope if they make another NES or SNES classic, they will fix this cord problem, or at least make the controllers wireless.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:28 PM   #3
Drunken Savior

Yeah the short cords are a problem. The way the NES classic is designed (you have to push RESET on the console to use save states or switch games), it makes it a pain in the rear to play it casually. You either have to:

a) Use a long extension cord for the controller and then get up and press the button to switch/save.
b) Use a long HDMI and USB power (plug in or battery pack), but then the console is right next to you when playing.
c) Sit 2 feet from your TV...ugh.

The nostalgia aspect is nice, but they should have really altered the controller just a tad to make it a little more user friendly. As is, I'm glad to use this thing since it sits on my PC desk and I'm pretty much 2' from my screen anyways...but man...I pity people with big 60" TVs that are trying to play it. Any of the three above solutions is kinda inelegant.

I hope the inevitable SNES classic will add a power/reset button on the controllers (perhaps just to the left and right of where the cable meets the controller) to alleviate this problem.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:02 AM   #4
Rubeus

Maybe it's worthwhile to get one of these instead, and pick up a bunch of used cartridges

Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:38 AM   #5
Reality
Sin and Punishment

But then you'd have to artificially sit 3 feet in front of your TV instead of getting the real experience with the nes classic...
Old 12-14-2016, 07:20 AM   #6
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubeus View Post
Maybe it's worthwhile to get one of these instead, and pick up a bunch of used cartridges

I keep reading reviews from people who say that the cartridge ports either, a) stop working altogether, b) become massively inconsistent....and that makes me worried to get one of these.

I'll just stick to emulators on my tablet and use my Xbox Wireless controller.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #7
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I used to care about getting the original older games, but when I thought about it, I'm happy that roms and emulators do exist, cause most of these games will eventually stop working and some companies will never release these games again. Like the Spider-man games on any system.
We're only left with shitty 3rd party unofficial stuff to try and keep them going. Like Controllers. I'm glad that before the N64 stopped being in stores, that I bought some extra controllers and kept them in the box, my original controllers analogs snapped off

Damn you, Mario Party!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote