The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 12-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
Rubeus

Zelda: Wind Waker 2 Was Cancelled By Nintendo

Click for full size

Quote:
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker was originally meant to get a sequel, but Nintendo cancelled it in favour of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

That's according to an interview with artist Satoru Takizawa (translated by Nintendo Everything), who says, "we had begun the initial steps towards creating Wind Waker 2 … However, demand for a more Ocarina-like game was growing by the day."

The reason for the cancellation of Wind Waker 2 and subsequent development of Twilight Princess instead is an odd one: horses.

"Wind Waker 2 would have taken place in a more land-based setting, rather than on the sea, so that we could have Link gallop across the land on a horse," says Takizawa. "But Link's proportions in Wind Waker weren’t very well suited for riding on horseback; he was too short, and an adult version of Toon Link did not seem appropriate either.

"High-budget live-action fantasy movies were also huge at the time, so with all things considered, we decided to have at it [and switch to Twilight Princess]."

The interview comes from the new Zelda: Art & Artifacts book, which is released in the UK and US in February but is already available in Japan.

Wind Waker never got a sequel, though it did get an HD re-release in 2013 on Wii U. You can read our The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD review here. Twilight Princess also got an HD Wii U version, in 2016--read our review of that here.

A more cartoonish Link, similar to the one seen in Wind Waker, returns--on horseback--in the newest Zelda game, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/zel.../1100-6446007/
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I think they made the right call with this one here. The hype surrounding TP was high at the time. We was chugging through the LotR movies at the time so this darker theme was going with the current trend. It worked for them as it sold better then Wind Waker.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:48 AM   #3
Drunken Savior

I know that seeing those previews of Link riding Epona into battle against those goblins on wolves got me super hyped for that game. I still remember that.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #4
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

It would be cool if they revisit giving it a sequel now. Wind Waker HD looked very nice.
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote