The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 12-08-2016, 01:39 AM   #1
Rubeus

Report: Nintendo Switch Will Get GameCube Games

So Switch will get a lot of GameCube ports at launch?

Click for full size

Quote:
Nintendo will bring GameCube games including Super Smash Bros. Melee and Luigi’s Mansion to the Switch via Virtual Console, Eurogamer reports today, citing anonymous sources.

The report, by Tom Phillips, notes that those two games along with Super Mario Sunshine are already scheduled for Nintendo’s new system. Phillips also cites Animal Crossing as a game that’s slated for the Switch’s Virtual Console, which is reportedly being manned by Nintendo European Research and Development, the studio behind the Mini-NES.

We haven’t been able to corroborate the report ourselves, outside of a few whispers here and there, but Eurogamer nailed the details of the Switch months before Nintendo revealed what it was. (On the other hand, we’re still waiting on Mother 3.)

In 2012, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime hinted that GameCube games could show up on the Wii U’s Virtual Console, but that never materialized. It sure would be nice to play Skies of Arcadia again on the go.

http://kotaku.com/report-nintendo-sw...mes-1789795064
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 04:57 AM   #2
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Fuck buying games I already own all over again. I think they should be available to purchase for those who don't own them but I'd love o see some sort of optional device that can attach to the thing and play existing games that we own. Not like that will ever happen. I miss backwards compatibility. Virtual Console is NOT backwards compatibility, especially with Nintendo's rather poor/blurry/dark emulation.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:37 AM   #3
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
Fuck buying games I already own all over again. I think they should be available to purchase for those who don't own them but I'd love o see some sort of optional device that can attach to the thing and play existing games that we own. Not like that will ever happen. I miss backwards compatibility. Virtual Console is NOT backwards compatibility, especially with Nintendo's rather poor/blurry/dark emulation.
I agree. Add to the fact that buying old games on a console doesn't guarantee that you can play them on newer ones. So many times I wanted to buy an older game on the Playstation Store on my PS4 only to find out that it's available for PS3 but not PS4.

I seriously hope that by Sony and Microsoft, having ditched Cell and PowerPC respectively for x86, means that future consoles will all be able to play games from the X1/PS4 forward. I mean, maybe this is the idea with iterative console updates instead of generational updates...but I guess we'll see. Eventually those iterative updates will usher in games that can't be played on older iterations. Then things will get muddled when people lose track of the launch order of these consoles and not know what to get and when. Or games will begin to slow down in technological advancement to allow older iterations the ability to play these games as well.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
Rubeus

You can always play old games on your old consoles, or use one of those emulators. I ripped my PSone games to ISOs and play them on PC.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #5
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Maybe we'll get lucky and get to play the GameCube port of the N64 port of Zelda:OoT. That seems to come out every generation.