The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 12-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #1
superRSXs

Final Fantasy XV

Guys, just wanted to see your thoughts on the game. I just finished the main quest.

As someone who waited out the 10 year period, I almost think the design direction with Versus XIII (urban setting) may have been better. Like other games in the series I wish the progress was switched, where early game is more linear, objective based, as the world "opens up" for exploration prior to the final stages.

Combat is exhilarating and a a great evolution for FF. For maybe the first time I relied heavily on the use of healing items (no more hoarding Megalixers to never use them by the end). This is the combat FF XIII could've used. Enemy engagements were also quirky, and I was "pushed" out of some zones where I was standing two feet from enemies and was not engaged (by not being in the "circle." I do understand that there had to be some way to create an escape from high level enemies. Some of the battles were epic and made me want to find a copy of Zone of the Enders to play again.

There were some areas of the map I got stuck in (couldn't jump, walk, or warp out) causing me to either load my last save or return to the entrance of the dungeon to go again. One part of the game kept me in a "engaged" status with a glitch where the enemy showed on the mini-map but not on my screen preventing me from picking up items.

The story never captivated me (maybe it was too short to really engage me) and I've yet to start the post-game, but the game story-wise really feels like an overnight camping trip instead of the epic-proportions I'm used to. The pacing was also off, where I could've easily have forgotten to progress the story at certain points.

I won't add spoilers, but the ending was quite satisfying (for what the world of Eos was worth, anyway) and I'll play for a bit longer.

i thought nothing could top the copa mundial until the Mania came along...
superRSXs is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

I fucking hate the combat.

I hate party damage - it sucked in Suikoden 3 and it sucks here.

I hate not controlling my party.

I hate being graded how what I did in the battle because it means they want me to play the way they want and not the way I want.

I hate the action combat. It feels really, really shallow. Half the time I just feel like I'm holding down the circle button to win.

The aesthetic stuff, like character design, is fine, but the combat is a huge, huge, mega disappointment for me.

FF13, as poor as the story was, was at least fun to play. This just isn't.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
Rubeus

I am still confused whether I should buy the game or not, I like the series up to FFXII (+ FFXIII-2), should I even try getting into this one?
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #4
superRSXs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubeus View Post
I am still confused whether I should buy the game or not, I like the series up to FFXII (+ FFXIII-2), should I even try getting into this one?
If you like JRPGs and have enough games to hold over until Persona 5 and Ni No Kuni 2 next year, I would say a "weak yes" to say you played it. Combat opinions are quite severely divided (I do agree 100% on the needless grading system), story is a bit too shallow (it seriously is a side-quest oriented game with a story on the side).

If you're okay with a FF where you blaze through the whole story in 20-25 hours (I'm being serious) it may be worth a try picking up a used copy.

If this game didn't carry the Final Fantasy tag I would've liked it much less.

i thought nothing could top the copa mundial until the Mania came along...
superRSXs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #5
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I fucking hate the combat.

I hate party damage - it sucked in Suikoden 3 and it sucks here.

I hate not controlling my party.

I hate being graded how what I did in the battle because it means they want me to play the way they want and not the way I want.

I hate the action combat. It feels really, really shallow. Half the time I just feel like I'm holding down the circle button to win.

The aesthetic stuff, like character design, is fine, but the combat is a huge, huge, mega disappointment for me.

FF13, as poor as the story was, was at least fun to play. This just isn't.
I agreed until the last line. xD

The game is alright, but the combat is shalow.

I do enjoy tactical combat systems better. But even the action one could have been better executed.

Also, i haven't finished the main quest, so i won't be reading everything here until i do. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubeus View Post
The game feels like the poor man's Xenoblade X. Shallow combat, but essentially an open world with lots of side quests and FF staples.
The metascore is spot on. It's an 8/10. I don't think it's any better than say AC or Mad max. It's actually alot like those games, but in a fantasy setting, wich is why i compare it to Xenoblade instead. Combat is resumed to auto-attack from the back, teleport about, use team moves and use your super. You may use magic grenades rarely, but they hurt your allies aswell, so chances are you will stop using it.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #6
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Unpopular opinion:
- I love the game
- I love the combat
- I love the story
- I love the world
- I love the missions
- I love the entire game

Just a fun game to play. Haven't beat it yet because I am trying to do all the side missions including trying to platinum it.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:33 AM   #7
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

I really enjoyed Chapters 1-8 the game had lots to do, the missions are fun, the combat is something that I can really get into. Fighting classic monsters like the Malboro in real time is great. Up to that point the story was really good and interesting and I really wanted to know what was going to happen.

Then from Chapter 9 onwards from the summoning of Levi everything seems so rushed. Things happen at such a fast pace sometimes with little to explanation, characters vanish never to be seen again. I only found out that the empire had killed Shiva, Ifrit and Bahamut from the loading screen. Which is a pretty big story point since I was expecting the collect them myself. The second half feels like such mess to me and that's a real shame. It feels like another MGSV to me though I hear they will add more story with upcoming patches though that will mean playing through the whole game again.

I can't remember feeling this disappointed in a FF game for along time (only the second half though). I can only imagine the mess the development must have been over 10 years if this is the best they can come up with after all that time.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote