The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 05-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #1
Rubeus

Star Fox Zero sales off to a series-worst in Japan

Click for full size

Click for full size

Quote:
Star Fox Zero sales off to a series-worst in Japan - Nintendo's head's in the McClouds

I am legitimately unsure why Nintendo feels like Star Fox should get a nod over a lot of its existing, untouched properties COUGH METROID COUGH COUGH and it seems like I'm not alone.

Last week we saw the Star Fox Zero and Star Fox Guard double pack debut to a 5th place spot in Japanese retail sales with 17,114 units sold. Add the 8,135 solo Zero units and it's still sitting in 4th, behind two One Piece games (or, the same game on Vita and PS4) and Yo-kai Sangokushi. Not great, basically. (Note: Star Fox Gourd data is not available)

And Famitsu data puts it into context with earlier entries in the series (yes, Adventures was actually a Gamecube game).

Click for full size

Point is, see first week and lifetime sales shrinking? Even the nostalgia hit of a Star Fox 64 3DS remake didn't rally the troops. I don't even remember Star Fox Command. With the Wii U a lame duck console ahead of Nintendo's new effort (and Wii U sales low as is), I doubt there's going to be a slow and steady lifetime trickle upwards, either. More likely, dedicated Wii U owners picked it and that's that. No approaching a million and a half, like Splatoon. European and US sales are not available yet, but I don't expect it to fare all that much better.

Outside of Fox's popularity in Smash, I don't know why Nintendo keeps having a go at Star Fox, especially given the series' general lack of a cohesive identity when it's not relying on just remaking the first game again.

http://www.destructoid.com/star-fox-...n-359113.phtml
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
Ernst

The writer's an idiot. Star Fox has life. Just not the right time, game, or console.
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:45 AM   #3
Reality
Sin and Punishment

My worry is that if the game doesn't do very well than Nintendo will do a "Oh, its not our controls. People just don't like Star Fox anymore. Lets not make anymore."
Old 05-05-2016, 01:18 AM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
My worry is that if the game doesn't do very well than Nintendo will do a "Oh, its not our controls. People just don't like Star Fox anymore. Lets not make anymore."
I want to point out that those controls are horrible. I stopped playing the game cause it made me feel like shooting myself in the head.

I usually can get by how fun a game is despite certain things are really bad or whatever is stupid about the game. But, the controls just ruin the fun gameplay of Star Fox.

I really hope the next Nintendo system just has normal controllers. No more touch screen and motion controls.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:10 AM   #5
Hagane
Unlucky dog

Quote:
If they can shamelessly blame consumers for their low console sales, surely that's what's going to happen.

I bet platinum games had a different plan in development and nintendo just decided to force their own ideas.

That thought brought me a flashback from Dinosaur Planet
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:55 AM   #6
Drunken Savior

Quote:

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:36 AM   #7
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

There aren't many smash hits in Japan anymore most series are selling less Star Ocean 5 sold worse on the PS4 then Star Ocean 4 did the XB360 when it was released. Those One Piece sales are also well below.

The Tales of series no longer sells 800,000, Final Fantasy is well down on the hey days of FFVII/FFVIII. Things are pretty bad console wise in Japan and it's only going to get worse.

That said more and more Japanese developers are slowly spreading there way west (Idea Factory, Spike Chunsoft, CyberConnect2, Marvelous Ent.) and that's good news.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001 View Post
The Tales of series no longer sells 800,000, Final Fantasy is well down on the hey days of FFVII/FFVIII. Things are pretty bad console wise in Japan and it's only going to get worse.
Yeah, the current generation of younger people in Japan really seems to have abandoned consoles for whatever time wasters are available on mobile phones. Seems to be mostly enthusiasts and older fans who only still play games on consoles in Japan.

Console sales in Japan are at an all-time low(I believe lower even than before the NES was introduced) while in the west it's at an all-time high so Japanese developers/publishers would be a fool to let that potential go to waste(unless they're a shit company run by ancient dinosaurs like Konami).

I'm not complaining though as the last somewhat year alone there were some amazing titles from the land of the rising bun like Bloodborne, MGS5 and Dark Souls 3. Then there is FF15 on the horizon and the remake of FF7 in development. Hopefully those titles manage to push console sales a bit in Japan b/c if FF can't do it then yeah no other game really will.
stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #9
SuperAngelo64
Surprise

The game plays more like a 'simulator' than an action game.
It didn't 'click' until my first run in the final boss battle. Andross' third form, morphing the walker to the arwing to jet across the gap and do a sharp turn to his the weak point.
It's a game about learning to pilot machines at it's core. I think Star Fox for SNES tried to do this (gathering that feel from it's ridiculously meticulous training mode), but it's not what the franchise is known for (Star Fox 64 'shoot all the things!!!!' nostalgia)

It was akin to learning to drive a car. I got that 'oh shit, I GET IT' moment where you don't even have to think about driving in that moment. Everything made sense and felt smooth.

Luckily this game has tons of replayability due to it's 'arcade' nature. Unfortunately, nobody plays games like that anymore so it will most likely continue to tank.
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote