The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Windows 10!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/wi...soft-1.2782315

It's basically windows 7 with parts of windows 8.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Drunken Savior

Quote:
as the company skips version 9 to emphasize advances it is making toward a world centered around mobile devices and internet services
Stupid. At least when Nvidia skipped their GTX 800 line, they had a reason (to unify their mobile and desktop GPU lines into a single number (i.e. GT 700M for mobile GPUs and GTX 700 for desktop GPUs). This is just PR bullshit. [/petty rant]

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Apparently, Windows 8 users will get to upgrade to windows 10 for free. Which is good, cause I was going to build another computer soon and I was going to buy windows 7 again, but now I might just buy 8 if this is true and just upgrade.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #4
Drunken Savior

If you buy Windows 8, do you still have to install Windows 8 before you can update to Windows 8.1?

Also, I'm hearing that Windows 10 is not a free upgrade for Windows 8 users. What's your source?

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 09-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
spider-prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
If you buy Windows 8, do you still have to install Windows 8 before you can update to Windows 8.1?

Also, I'm hearing that Windows 10 is not a free upgrade for Windows 8 users. What's your source?
http://news.yahoo.com/confirmed-wind...133033409.html

This was before it's reveal that it is windows 10 and not 9.

Not sure about windows 8 installing, since I never installed one before, But all OEMs are now 8.1, so I'm assuming it's just built in now.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
Drunken Savior

I wouldn't count on that now. Until Microsoft USA says its a free upgrade, expect to pay.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 10-01-2014, 01:59 AM   #7
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Apple did their last OSX Revision for free. So I think M$ will do theirs for $80.

Anyway, I think its another Windows I am just going to skip until I can't anymore. I don't even want a Windows phone so having the OS the same on that platform doesn't even interest me. Now lets just hope Ubuntu keeps getting better now since Valve is supporting Linux.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:20 AM   #8
Drunken Savior

It would be nice to be able to abandon MS for gaming, but I don't see it happening for awhile. Direct X is way too ingrained into modern gaming. Even with OpenGL, DirectX still looms large.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 10-01-2014, 02:37 AM   #9
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I agree. But on the bright side Valve is going to be offering DirectX to OpenGL translation software for freeeeeee. And better yet INtel, AMD, and Nvidia are teaming up to create some type of super OpenGL. So I think personally that a lot of companies do not like the direction of Windows and want to set up on Linux platforms.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:56 AM   #10
spider-prime

that would be awesome not needing Microsoft OS for games and go with what you want. The problem would still be older games unless someone has some soft of emulation for directx for other OS.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:33 AM   #11
Reality
Sin and Punishment

That would be a problem but I suffer from older games running on my w7 and newer Nvidia cards as is. It'll be a painful transition but it be better for everyone (theory) after it takes off and all new software is built around it. Just look at the boost L4D got by moving to Linux Open GL.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #12
Nem
Smash bro!

Oh brother... whats the pointb of all these windows versions? I remember when a new windows was a massive upgrade. Now, it feels like the annual xbox dashboard update...

Dunno if i have 7 or 8. I'm posting from the Wii U atm. Either way, not interested in upgrading.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #13
Rubeus

First thing it reminds me the Blackberry OS upgrade jump from 7 to 10, it almost feels like Microsoft is heading the same direction.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #14
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Fuck mobile devices. I don't like any company who eschews real desktop computers. Mobile cannot do what I need. Even laptops cannot do what I need. But all we hear these days are mobile, mobile MOBILE! Ebola cannot come soon enough to these people.

Also, Windows 9 was to be the free upgrade for Windows 8 users. IT STILL IS! Also, I cannot believe that any one of you actually paid for a Microsoft OS. Hell I can't believe they actually charge for it.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #15
spider-prime

Windows 10 IS a free upgrade from 7 and 8! For one year after launch.