The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 10-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Drunken Savior

[CDProjektRed] No DRM in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – an open letter to the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://cdpred.com/no-drm-in-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-an-open-letter-to-the-community/

No DRM in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – an open letter to the community

Hey, following our recent announcement of the distribution deals of The Witcher 3 in North America and Europe, there have been some concerns regarding DRM and previous legal issues with The Witcher 2. We’ve seen a lot of comments in various places around the web and we would like to join in on the conversation.

I’d like to say it loud and clear: The PC version of The Witcher 3 will have absolutely no DRM from day 0. Zero. Zip. Nada. It doesn’t matter if you choose to buy it on GOG.com and support us directly or buy the game in box format, you’ll still get the 100% DRM-free experience. And this goes for the whole world.

We’ve fiddled with DRM in the past (Oh boy! How young and naïve we were;)) and that’s enough. Lesson learned.

Having said that, I’d like to thank you for your continuous support. You’ve bought six million copies of the Witcher games so far. Whoo-hoo! Let’s celebrate. Here, have some cake!

UPDATE:
It’ll be on Steam; the team isn’t going to exclude that community by any means. Gamers have a choice in where they buy their games, but where CDPR does have control — like GOG.com — there will be absolutely no DRM.

Cheers,
Marcin Iwinski
co-founder / Joint CEO
I don't think any PC gamers here who are familar with CD Projekt Red are surprised, at all. But still, it's nice to hear AND making a big announcement like this around an upcoming AAA game (Witcher 3 is an AAA game, right?) provides us some evidence when we discuss DRM that isn't purely based on theoretical. This will probably mean that Witcher 3 will be pirated to hell, afterall The Witcher 2 was pirated over 4.5 Million Times. And let's not forget that, for a short time, CD Projekt Red even started going after pirates. But I think CD Projekt understands that many people who do pirate their game will go out and buy their game later on, extending the life of the game's sales.

Having said all that, I hope that more gamers will support the company policies of CD Projekt Red. They are behind a fantastic quality franchise, are using their status as a AAA franchise developer to push an anti-DRM message, offer FREE DLC, and have a overall history of being honest with their customers.

I know what I'll be giving away for the 2014 Holiday season...

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread